Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

URGENT! 'Error transferring to External Drive 1"

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:35 PM

I'm replacing my Hopper due to Sling issues so I started transferring my recordings to 2 EHDs. I had 119 recordings. 101 transferred OK, but now I get, "An error occurred while transferring to ...". I get this error on both EHDs when I try to move them. There is plenty of room on both drives - 300+ MB so space isn't an issue. I can move recordings back to the Hopper but then they're stuck (only did 1 to prove it worked). Tried a reboot, unplugged the EHDs and plugged them back in. No joy.

I need to resolve this ASAP as more stuff will get recorded tonight.

Help!!!???

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

I'm replacing my Hopper due to Sling issues so I started transferring my recordings to 2 EHDs. I had 119 recordings. 101 transferred OK, but now I get, "An error occurred while transferring to ...". I get this error on both EHDs when I try to move them. There is plenty of room on both drives - 300+ MB so space isn't an issue. I can move recordings back to the Hopper but then they're stuck (only did 1 to prove it worked). Tried a reboot, unplugged the EHDs and plugged them back in. No joy.

Help!!!???

How big are these drives? Are they externally powered? Are you using a hub, or directly to the receiver? Can you transfer events over one at a time instead of grouped?

#3 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,552 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:29 PM

Help!!!???

When you say there is plenty of room, are these 300+MB drives or do they show 300+MB left?

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#4 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

The minimum size requirement is 50GB,

#5 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:08 PM

1. Is the EHD over 2TB in size, if so at least with the VIP's 2TB is the biggest they can see.

2. There is an event limit no matter the size of the EHD. What usually happens when you surpass it is you don't see events over the limit until you delete some events. I don't think that is what is happening.

3. Transfer one at a time, there may be one event causing the problem.

Edited by tampa8, 02 February 2013 - 06:14 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,552 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:44 PM

If you have an empty drive, see if it will format and permit transferring.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#7 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:10 PM

Also make sure you're not trying to transfer 'protected recordings'.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#8 OFFLINE   jerry downing

jerry downing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 542 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:51 PM

If you have 300MB of space remaining, then space IS an issue. Even if you are transferring SD, you have less than 20 minutes left. With HD you have even less.

#9 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:20 PM

If you have 300MB of space remaining, then space IS an issue. Even if you are transferring SD, you have less than 20 minutes left. With HD you have even less.

I can't believe I didn't realize that. 30 minute shows I transfer to my iPad are still between 150-750mbs just depending. So this is definitely the reason it's not working.

#10 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:08 AM

OK, sorry for lack of, and bad info.
First off, the 2 drives were WD externally powered 500gb drives, one had 338GB left, the other 168GB so space was not an issue.
I have been using these 2 drives successfully for several years.
I unprotected all recordings

I talked to Zach over at DishForums. We went over the error message (855) which basically states there's a bad USB connection. The reason I'm swapping the Hopper is the Sling Adapter is not recognized on any USB port. Based on the last observable behavior, the USB ports have lost the ability to write.

We sat down and watched what couldn't be found other places (like abc.com) and I swapped the Hopper yesterday morning. I didn't have time to check out the sling adapter due to other responsibilities but I did plug in the EHDs and transferred 157 programs back to the Hopper.

#11 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:38 AM

Glad it worked out for you, D.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...