Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Is OWN HD coming to Directv?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:27 PM

Watching Directv celebrity Beach Bowl and they have a video display around the field. The had OWNHD displayed on the board.

Also The HUB HD.

Is this channel coming to Directv?

Edited by jamieh1, 02 February 2013 - 02:11 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,335 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:05 PM

No one really knows, or could say. We do know one HD channel is coming Q1 or early Q2. Keep an eye on the anticipation thread, and subscribe to The Sixto Report.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=172899

#3 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:37 PM

Back in Nov 2009 when OWN was launched/replaced Discovery Health Channel, providers were offered to sign a new agreement for the channel and end their old contracts. The new agreement I believe included the channel in HD. However, they wanted a pretty significant increase in the carriage costs, so DirecTV along with a bunch of other providers elected to just continue under their old contracts at the lower price since the channel was brand new and nobody knew what kind of ratings to expect.

I believe that someone posted on here when the existing contract for Discovery Health ended, but I can't remember and haven't looked for it again. I imagine whenever that contract is up they will sign a new agreement that will include rights to the HD version as long as OWN is willing to offer a reasonable price according to their current ratings (which aren't all that great last I saw). If not it wouldn't suprise me if the channel is dropped altogether.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#4 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:56 PM

Back in Nov 2009 when OWN was launched/replaced Discovery Health Channel, providers were offered to sign a new agreement for the channel and end their old contracts. The new agreement I believe included the channel in HD. However, they wanted a pretty significant increase in the carriage costs, so DirecTV along with a bunch of other providers elected to just continue under their old contracts at the lower price since the channel was brand new and nobody knew what kind of ratings to expect.

They dangled a contract with a "pay this higher cost now, or potentially pay even higher when your contract for Discovery Health is up for renewal" threat. However, the only thing attached to it at the time was Oprah's name, only 3 shows were announced, none of them hosted by Oprah, and the launch was already delayed multiple times. Since the launch multiple shows have been cancelled, including the heavily hyped Rosie O'Donnel show which was taped at Oprah's old studio in Chicago, and many executives at the channel were replaced.

#5 OFFLINE   Araxen

Araxen

Icon

• Registered
  • 785 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:12 PM

I expect this channel to be dropped when it comes to contract renewal time. They'll want too much $$$ for the way too little ratings they pull in.
If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
PSN: Araxen - Xbox: Gamertag: Araxen II - Steam: Araxen - WiiU: Araxen

#6 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,156 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:48 PM

I expect this channel to be dropped when it comes to contract renewal time. They'll want too much $$$ for the way too little ratings they pull in.

Hoping Dish does the same.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

Protected By... spam firewall...And...