Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Should SWiM16 + DECA require two ports?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   chiefgeek

chiefgeek

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:41 PM

I just got upgraded to a hr34 and in the process I got upgraded to SWiM.

I have 5 IRDs with dual coax pulled to each one. I thought I was going to be able to use the extra coax pulled to each IRD to put my OTA on. When I tried to hook it up I noticed that both coax cables that are going to the HR34 also go the SMiM. I looked at the back of the HR34 and one coax is fed into a DECA and the other connects to the IRD. Not sure if it matters but the SMiM16 has a 4way and a 2way coming off of it.

I can go up there and getter a more correct wiring diagram if needed, my main confusion was why they needed to coax cables for the HR34+DECA (I thought you only needed one coax with SMiM).

Edited by chiefgeek, 02 February 2013 - 02:54 PM.

Slimline-5 -> swim16 -> HR34-700, HR24-100, 2 HR23-700, HR21-700
Object Oriented Javascript

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,123 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

Yep, just need one coax to each SWiM capable receiver. The other coax can feed OTA to an AM21 from an antenna, totally separate.
DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#3 OFFLINE   chiefgeek

chiefgeek

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:53 PM

I checked the other coax at the HR34 and there is a DECA(DCA2SR0-18) and a power inserter on the SAT Rcvr / Power end.

I assume it was wired this way so that if the HR34 lost power the network for the other IRDs would still work?

#4 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,123 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:15 PM

I checked the other coax at the HR34 and there is a DECA(DCA2SR0-18) and a power inserter on the SAT Rcvr / Power end.

I assume it was wired this way so that if the HR34 lost power the network for the other IRDs would still work?

And that DECA is Ethernet connected to your router? Acting as your Cinema Connection Kit (CCK). If so, that can be moved to anywhere that you have coax and Ethernet, and use that coax for OTA if needed. Or use the HR34 as the bridge, but personally I prefer the CCK approach.

Edited by Sixto, 02 February 2013 - 03:21 PM.

DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#5 OFFLINE   chiefgeek

chiefgeek

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:01 AM

And that DECA is Ethernet connected to your router? Acting as your Cinema Connection Kit (CCK). If so, that can be moved to anywhere that you have coax and Ethernet, and use that coax for OTA if needed.

Yes it is connected to my router. Thanks for the info, I am going move it so I can use the existing cable for OTA, but keep the CCK style hookup.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...