Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

D* slimline mounting tar and gravel roof

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   inourgrave

inourgrave

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:47 PM

I am moving and need some dish mounting options. I can self install, so really only thing D* tech would do is peak align.
New house has a low pitch tar and gravel roof, estimated at 15 years old. The roof is probably near the end of it's life but still in good shape, obviously I want the roof to last as long as possible (5+ years), so I really don't want to disturb anything.
I don't really want to mount on the roof because I don't want anything to penetrate the membrane of the tar.
I don't think that a non penetrating mount is a good idea either because putting cinder blocks on top of the rock could cause the rock to penetrate the membrane as well.
Poll mount is not really an option as the house is surrounded by concrete, so no way to hide cable.
Fascia board is too narrow to support a slimline mount.
Stucco exterior on the outside. Is this my only option? What is the best method to install on stucco?

Thanks, everyone here is such a great resource.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

I am moving and need some dish mounting options. I can self install, so really only thing D* tech would do is peak align.
New house has a low pitch tar and gravel roof, estimated at 15 years old. The roof is probably near the end of it's life but still in good shape, obviously I want the roof to last as long as possible (5+ years), so I really don't want to disturb anything.
I don't really want to mount on the roof because I don't want anything to penetrate the membrane of the tar.
I don't think that a non penetrating mount is a good idea either because putting cinder blocks on top of the rock could cause the rock to penetrate the membrane as well.
Poll mount is not really an option as the house is surrounded by concrete, so no way to hide cable.
Fascia board is too narrow to support a slimline mount.
Stucco exterior on the outside. Is this my only option? What is the best method to install on stucco?

Thanks, everyone here is such a great resource.

It is not recommended to install a dish on the side of a house and I believe that techs are not even allowed to do that anymore.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#3 OFFLINE   VDP07

VDP07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

Big and gaudy but effective. Widely available. Solid Signal sells them.

Attached Thumbnails

• imagesCAAVZEDK.jpg
  • imagesCA8V4NUZ.jpg

Edited by VDP07, 02 February 2013 - 04:57 PM.

#4 ONLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,066 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:01 PM

It is not recommended to install a dish on the side of a house and I believe that techs are not even allowed to do that anymore.

- Merg

Why is it not recommended? Granted there are some types of siding that would make installation a bad idea but if the construction is suitable I prefer the side of the house. Easier to clear snow when needed, easier to service when needed.

My Setup

#5 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,382 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:17 PM

Why is it not recommended? Granted there are some types of siding that would make installation a bad idea but if the construction is suitable I prefer the side of the house. Easier to clear snow when needed, easier to service when needed.

Plus it can't leak into your house.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,129 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:33 PM

Am I missing something?

why not move the gravel out of the way where you would install the NPRF mount. the NPRF mount would sit flat on the membrane tar

#7 OFFLINE   cwtech

cwtech

Mentor

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:17 PM

Techs arent allowed to mount to vinyl siding. If the side of the house has a suitable mounting surface (ie, brick, some wood siding, ect ) then they are allowed to.

#8 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,237 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:49 PM

Someone makes an under eve mount that attaches to the bottom of the rafter tails. That might be your best option. Read through this thread.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=203274
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#9 ONLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,066 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:00 PM

Techs arent allowed to mount to vinyl siding. If the side of the house has a suitable mounting surface (ie, brick, some wood siding, ect ) then they are allowed to.

That makes total sense, the original post sounded like no wall mounts at all. I have hardboard siding, the center bolts on the foot are in a stud, the outer bolts are in about an inch of hardboard and OSB and the monopoles are in studs. That dish isnt going anywhere, the only time I have had to touch it since I put it up (around 6 or 7 years ago) is with a broom for snow which I can do from the ground or leaning out the guest room window. That is the way I like it.

My Setup

spam firewall