Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

List of HD Channels That I want on Dish Network

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 299 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:34 AM

JSK,

We do carry Al Jazeera America on channel 215 and BBC America on channel 135 in HD. If you have any further DISH questions please let me know and I am happy to help you!

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,604 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:23 PM

He was asking for AJA in HD though... and also BBC World News in HD...

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#63 OFFLINE   Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 299 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:20 AM

Stewart Vernon,

A request was submitted for AJA in HD as well as a request for BBC World News added in HD. Thanks for the clarification on the request.

#64 OFFLINE   hasbeen29650

hasbeen29650

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 05:41 PM

The real problem is 4 years ago when I moved to my present location, Dish had over 100 HD channels and Charter the local cable guys had about 30. Today, Dish has about 130 and the local guys have about 170 and I now also have the choice of AT&T which has about 170. If it wasn't that the Dish DVRs are so much better, I would switch to Charter tomorrow, they are offering all kinds of much cheaper deals and call me at least once a month. Dish really needs to get on it and start adding more HD. Maybe give up a few of the "shopping" channels and give us something we actually want to watch in HD.

#65 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,762 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:13 AM

There are no shopping channels in HD (yet) on DISH. If I recall correctly DISH tested QVC for a while but it was not made public. Deleting SD channels to make room for HD is not 1 for 1. With DISH's level of compression they would need to drop 13 SD channels (western arc) to clear a transponder for 8 or 9 HD channels. Which is closer to 1 for 1 than it once was with only two or four HDs per transponder but is still a lot of channels to drop.

As a person with HD I am biased ... I want HD channels. But there are still a lot of DISH subscribers who do not have HD. If I were one of the SD only subscribers I would not want to see a dozen channels disappear.

The "shopping" channels are cheap for DISH ... most are commission channels where DISH gets paid for response. Where DISH would have to pay some programmer for another channel they can collect money for having the shopping channels available. While you and I are not watching the "shopping" channels they must be making enough money to keep them on the system.

The other target of people who want to delete other people's favorite channels are the "religious" channels. Most of them are paying DISH to be on the system as "public interest" channels. DISH is required to offer a percentage of space to "public interest" channels - and as with shopping channels, channels that DISH does not have to pay for are easy to carry.

Those HD channels that you and I want are not cheap. While I'd love to say "everything in HD" (and I have) I also am not looking forward to $150-$200 per month for a single receiver. We have to pay for what we get. Every time the price goes up people drop programming (or at least threaten to). Which means as DISH adds channels and raises rates subscribers are cutting channels and trying to pay DISH less.

Looking at "what is left" to carry in HD ... in AT120 I see roughly 16 channels that could be upgraded. That includes two shopping, two religious and three public interest channels. Four of the other nine will probably get carried when ESPN renews their contract with DISH.

At AT200 I see five feeds that could be upgraded. Can you name them? Disney XD, Oxygen and Al Jazeera America are probably the biggest names of the five.

At AT250 there are at least nine channels that could be upgraded. But remember, the higher packages are the first to be dropped by subscribers when prices go up. Upgrading AT120 and A200 channels would serve more subscribers.

The glaring hole is RSNs. But that will also be the most expensive hole for DISH to fix. Currently DISH is paying the RSNs for SD feeds and a select number of HD games per year. Going to 24/7 HD feeds will cost DISH additional money ... not to mention satellite space. But at some point they will need to go 24/7.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#66 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,734 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:32 AM

I believe that anything that goes HD should be filled with HD sourced material and HD film transfers and not some sort of widescreen DVD upconverts or full resolution SD.

I'd really like to see some of the channels that don't offer HD content go away as well but I acknowledge that they probably don't take away much from the bandwidth. There seems to be about two channels worth of HD spread across the entire MTV suite. This doesn't begin to contemplate the value of the content.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#67 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,125 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:44 PM

Actually These channels use a full Hi Definition slot. Don't know why you think they wouldn't. And the problem with that theory is over time they will be full Hi Definition and then you'll have to go back and add it. And yeah that's an issue. It's better long term to kill sd feeds and down convert than to not put a channel in Hi Definition because a certain % of their stuf isn't Hi Definition.

#68 OFFLINE   hasbeen29650

hasbeen29650

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:04 PM

There are no shopping channels in HD (yet) on DISH. If I recall correctly DISH tested QVC for a while but it was not made public. Deleting SD channels to make room for HD is not 1 for 1. With DISH's level of compression they would need to drop 13 SD channels (western arc) to clear a transponder for 8 or 9 HD channels. Which is closer to 1 for 1 than it once was with only two or four HDs per transponder but is still a lot of channels to drop.

As a person with HD I am biased ... I want HD channels. But there are still a lot of DISH subscribers who do not have HD. If I were one of the SD only subscribers I would not want to see a dozen channels disappear.

The "shopping" channels are cheap for DISH ... most are commission channels where DISH gets paid for response. Where DISH would have to pay some programmer for another channel they can collect money for having the shopping channels available. While you and I are not watching the "shopping" channels they must be making enough money to keep them on the system.

The other target of people who want to delete other people's favorite channels are the "religious" channels. Most of them are paying DISH to be on the system as "public interest" channels. DISH is required to offer a percentage of space to "public interest" channels - and as with shopping channels, channels that DISH does not have to pay for are easy to carry.

Those HD channels that you and I want are not cheap. While I'd love to say "everything in HD" (and I have) I also am not looking forward to $150-$200 per month for a single receiver. We have to pay for what we get. Every time the price goes up people drop programming (or at least threaten to). Which means as DISH adds channels and raises rates subscribers are cutting channels and trying to pay DISH less.

Looking at "what is left" to carry in HD ... in AT120 I see roughly 16 channels that could be upgraded. That includes two shopping, two religious and three public interest channels. Four of the other nine will probably get carried when ESPN renews their contract with DISH.

At AT200 I see five feeds that could be upgraded. Can you name them? Disney XD, Oxygen and Al Jazeera America are probably the biggest names of the five.

At AT250 there are at least nine channels that could be upgraded. But remember, the higher packages are the first to be dropped by subscribers when prices go up. Upgrading AT120 and A200 channels would serve more subscribers.

The glaring hole is RSNs. But that will also be the most expensive hole for DISH to fix. Currently DISH is paying the RSNs for SD feeds and a select number of HD games per year. Going to 24/7 HD feeds will cost DISH additional money ... not to mention satellite space. But at some point they will need to go 24/7.

I hear what you say about costs, but my local competitors (charter and AT&T) are offering more channels of HD for less money. Some how, just more HD channels does not equal higher monthly charges for them. The thing that has made me stay away so far is that the Hopper is so much better as a DVR than anything they offer. Not sure how long that will last. The point is that Dish has been sitting on its HD lineup for quite awhile and the world is passing them by.

#69 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,762 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:56 PM

I hear what you say about costs, but my local competitors (charter and AT&T) are offering more channels of HD for less money. Some how, just more HD channels does not equal higher monthly charges for them. The thing that has made me stay away so far is that the Hopper is so much better as a DVR than anything they offer. Not sure how long that will last. The point is that Dish has been sitting on its HD lineup for quite awhile and the world is passing them by.

Comcast/Xfinity wants to charge $98-$140 "depending on area" as the long term rate. $99 is the promotional price for "everything" (the call it Digital Premier). I can't get their website to show a list of what channels are in HD.

AT&T/U-Verse wants to charge $121 for "everything" (I'm not sure if that includes the HD fee). There is a 6 month promotional price. They claim 190 HD channels for that price.

That is about the same price range or a little higher than both DISH and DirecTV. There may be some discounts available for bundling. All providers have new customer discounts that should be understood and not taken as the permanent price.
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#70 OFFLINE   hasbeen29650

hasbeen29650

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:35 AM

Comcast/Xfinity wants to charge $98-$140 "depending on area" as the long term rate. $99 is the promotional price for "everything" (the call it Digital Premier). I can't get their website to show a list of what channels are in HD.

AT&T/U-Verse wants to charge $121 for "everything" (I'm not sure if that includes the HD fee). There is a 6 month promotional price. They claim 190 HD channels for that price.

That is about the same price range or a little higher than both DISH and DirecTV. There may be some discounts available for bundling. All providers have new customer discounts that should be understood and not taken as the permanent price.

I understand about startup deals but since I get my internet from a local provider, I can bundle that way (no land line phone) and save some money. Plus if they are the same price, no weather issues, and more HD channels, why is that not a better deal (assuming equal DVRs which is not the case)? Still saying that Dish needs to step up to some more HD to stay competitive.

#71 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,762 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:37 PM

Re: Weather. I had more days of outage when I used Comcast for six months than I have had in the 11 years I have had DISH. The longest Comcast outage was for an ice storm (weather related) that knocked out power to the distribution hub for my neighborhood. I had power at the house but there was no Comcast for three days.

Experiences vary. :)

Bundling helps - but I'd be paying more for Comcast's bundle than I do buying DISH and Internet separately.

DISH does need to add more HD ... I listed some of the channels a couple of posts back. Full time HD RSNs would be a good thing but for DISH to do that they would have to add 30 channels. Cable in my area can do that with one or two. That is one reason why cable can have other HD channels ... they can tailor their offering to each market.

#72 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,734 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:05 AM

Actually These channels use a full Hi Definition slot. Don't know why you think they wouldn't.

Because of a wonderful invention called the statistical multiplexer. These little gems can allot the channels that don't require much bandwidth a smaller piece of the transponder pie based on need (or lack thereof).

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#73 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,734 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:08 AM

I hear what you say about costs, but my local competitors (charter and AT&T) are offering more channels of HD for less money. Some how, just more HD channels does not equal higher monthly charges for them.

You have failed to consider the first rule of pay television: The promotional rates don't last forever.

My local Comcast offers a bundle deal that starts at $129.99 per month (plus taxes and fees) but after the honeymoon is over, the bill hops up to upwards of $200.

#74 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,734 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:12 AM

DISH does need to add more HD ... I listed some of the channels a couple of posts back. Full time HD RSNs would be a good thing but for DISH to do that they would have to add 30 channels.

I disagree. If you want RSNs, there are options. I prefer the value of a service that doesn't have to spend significant bandwidth on offering RSNs.

#75 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,762 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 05:17 PM

I disagree. If you want RSNs, there are options. I prefer the value of a service that doesn't have to spend significant bandwidth on offering RSNs.

I prefer an option that includes staying with DISH ... and that means no 24/7 RSNs (except BigTen Network).
DISH plus cable or DirecTV isn't a viable option for me.

#76 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,120 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:54 AM

Jewelry TV is not a cable channel, around here it is on a digital sub-channel OTA.

Who is the owner?

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#77 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,468 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:47 PM

I believe Ramar owns the station.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#78 OFFLINE   l'Aucherie

l'Aucherie

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 02:24 PM

I would like to see Al Jazeera America (I don't know if it is offered yet) & BBC World News in HD

Yeah, BBC World News in HD would be great.  In fact, BBC World News in SD would be a good start!

#79 OFFLINE   mwdxer

mwdxer

Legend

• Registered
  • 235 posts
  • LocationSeaside Oregon

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:12 AM

I requested BBC World years ago and have several times since. I even called in on Charlie Chat to request it years ago and so far we have not gotten it. A friend in Kansas City has Time Warner and he gets also CNN International as well as BBC World. Both are in SD. I would have rather had BBC World and CNN International than Russia Today and Aljazerra. Maybe if enough people keep requesting those, we may get them in time.  I know KBS World upped their rates to Dish and that is why it was dropped. Everyone just wants too much money for their programming these days.

#80 OFFLINE   dish556

dish556

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:36 AM

I like to Add METV in the bay area please add that channel the sooner the better Thank you and no I don't want to buy a OTA ant why because the channel break up too much.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...