Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Super Bowl via D* or OTA?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Poll: Super Bowl via D* LiL or OTA Antenna? (68 member(s) have cast votes)

Super Bowl via D* LiL or OTA Antenna?

1. DIRECTV LiL (43 votes [63.24%])

Percentage of vote: 63.24%

2. OTA Antenna (25 votes [36.76%])

Percentage of vote: 36.76%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 OFFLINE   hbkbiggestfan

hbkbiggestfan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 405 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:39 PM

Just wondering what you guys think. Should I watch the Big Game live via D* LiL of my local CBS (KEYE 42 IN AUSTIN) OR via OTA antenna (Same, KEYE 42.1 AUSTIN)? I don't plan on using trick play as I'm hosting a party for it but I will be recording the broadcast regardless in case something must be replayed. I feel as though watching via OTA is best because it's a "more live" feed with a shorter delay and because It's perhaps a cleaner feed because it's original and doesn't get transmitted an extra time to D*. What do you all think???

Edited by hbkbiggestfan, 02 February 2013 - 09:06 PM.

<Living Room HR34-700-Networked Wireless CCK*-w/ LiL-HDMI-Vizio E601i-a3 60" 1080p LED HDTV> <Master Bedroom HR24-100-Networked COAX*-w/ LiL*HDMI-Olevia 37" LCD HDTV>
<Man Cave HR24-100-Networked COAX*-w/ LiL-HDMI-Samsung 46" LN46B530 1080p LCD HDTV> *Linksys Router <Backup Equipment HR22-100, H21-200, R15 and SD DIRECTiVo>
DIRECTV Since August 2002. Thanks for DLB & MRV DIRECTV!

NFL Sunday Ticket + Superfan since 2004 Go KC Chiefs!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:39 PM

Good idea to DVR game, there might be some disputed calls, and some great commercials.

As for OTA or sat, there would be several variables.

Does your local channel broadcast HD lite because they have 3 subchannels burning up the data rate?

Does your OTA antenna have a good line of site and is in good repair?

AFAIK, DirecTV uplink equipment will be at one local station and presumably that channel would be hard wired into the DirecTV equipment, the other locals will be OTA'd at that location and then zipped up to DirecTV, it would be a few more links in the chain where something could go wrong.

(If I am out of date on how DirecTV gets digital locals, let me know. They did it that way in the analog era, and I am just assuming ATSC is set up the same way. Back in the analog era, we had one local on DirecTV with a nasty ghosting issue, it cleared in the digital upgrade. I believe in the Omaha DMA the Directv uplink gear is located at KETV (our ABC affiliate) building, but I might be out of date on that)

So for the game, choose whatever works best and hope nobody messes up!!

#3 OFFLINE   hbkbiggestfan

hbkbiggestfan

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 405 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:48 PM

Good idea to DVR game, there might be some disputed calls, and some great commercials.

As for OTA or sat, there would be several variables...

Thanks for the info and your input.

I'm not sure in exactly how D* gets digital locals now days either. Can anyone who may know, explain please?
<Living Room HR34-700-Networked Wireless CCK*-w/ LiL-HDMI-Vizio E601i-a3 60" 1080p LED HDTV> <Master Bedroom HR24-100-Networked COAX*-w/ LiL*HDMI-Olevia 37" LCD HDTV>
<Man Cave HR24-100-Networked COAX*-w/ LiL-HDMI-Samsung 46" LN46B530 1080p LCD HDTV> *Linksys Router <Backup Equipment HR22-100, H21-200, R15 and SD DIRECTiVo>

#4 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:55 PM

Some are taken directly from Master Control with fiber to the D* site, and others are taken off the air with an antenna in the conventional way. Im not sure exactly how they get from the receive sites to the D* uplink sites, but Im guessing its fiber.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#5 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,845 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:08 PM

Just checked rabbitears.info, the station has good HD feed in 1080i 13.5 Mbps and only one subchannel, SD version taking 5 Mbps. I would take HD OTA feed!

#6 OFFLINE   hbkbiggestfan

hbkbiggestfan

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 405 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:54 PM

Just checked rabbitears.info, the station has good HD feed in 1080i 13.5 Mbps and only one subchannel, SD version taking 5 Mbps. I would take HD OTA feed!

Cool! But what if I'm just using some standard rabbit ears? Will I be actually getting the full data, like 13.2 mbps? I don't have any issues or breakups when watching this channel presently via OTA (rabbit ears)... What about audio as well? The OTA is noticeably lower than the D* feed, but I'm still getting DD 5.1.

#7 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,845 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:59 PM

Don't worry about your "ears" :) - if you have good signal and no drops in its level, all data [video and audio] is there. Enjoy !

#8 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:19 PM

I still record all my locals OTA even though D* recently added ours in HD..PQ is slightly better and I dont have to worry about weather interfering with the picture.

#9 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,901 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:46 PM

I voted DirecTV. If you are watching via DVR, it is much easier to pause, backup and replay, etc. If you are watching OTA and want to catch something again you've got to switch inputs, etc.

As to picture quality - do a couple of back and forth comparisons during some of the pregame programming and see if you can notice any difference. If you can, then go with what you prefer. If not, go with the LIL feed.

#10 OFFLINE   tgater

tgater

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:49 AM

Only because of the party would I use OTA if available. You don’t want the buffer delay and sometimes depending on the broadcast station they could be 7 or 8 seconds ahead of D*. I have this happen to me before, where someone at the party is on the phone with someone at another location and the other party is relaying plays before people at my party get to see them. I have the ability to switch to the recorded broadcast on my D* DVR so we can replay on our own certain plays we may want to see again. But my main reason for the recording is in case I miss a commercial I can go back and see what the _ everyone else is talking about. Good Luck and enjoy the game and the food.

#11 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:18 AM

No difference. KYW has the same excellent PQ on D* as OTA

DirecTV customer since 1996

#12 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,474 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:50 AM

I am 32 miles from the signal tower and CBS is very iffy for a signal for me. I get NBC, ABC, FOX and others without any problems and all the towers are in the same basic place.
It is something to do with the broadcast method, VHF or UHF and my antenna does not get whatever they are using very well.

I will definitely be using the DirecTV signal.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#13 OFFLINE   hbkbiggestfan

hbkbiggestfan

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 405 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:37 AM

Based on some of the feedback, I'm going with OTA. Thanks guys.

#14 OFFLINE   CDJohnson25

CDJohnson25

Mentor

• Registered
  • 75 posts
  • LocationOn a long and lonesome highway, east of Omaha

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:44 AM

Need 3rd option for Watch Online at cbs.com

We're hoping that it is good quality and no connection issues, since something in our D* system got fried during storm last week...

#15 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,743 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:48 AM

Need 3rd option as D* may open up the NYC feed of CBS as they have done at times in years past.....
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#16 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:05 PM

I voted DirecTV. If you are watching via DVR, it is much easier to pause, backup and replay, etc. If you are watching OTA and want to catch something again you've got to switch inputs, etc.

As to picture quality - do a couple of back and forth comparisons during some of the pregame programming and see if you can notice any difference. If you can, then go with what you prefer. If not, go with the LIL feed.

Carl, many of us have OTA channels available through our dvr's. That is what I meant, so I still have all the dvr conveniences with the OTA signal.

#17 OFFLINE   HGuardian

HGuardian

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:06 PM

I'd use OTA if I got a reliable signal via antenna. My local CBS isn't bad over D, just hope there are no weather warnings during the game.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...