Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Could someone test something with PTAT?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 710 posts
  • LocationNW Iowa

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:50 PM

We'll be switching from our 722/612/612 to two Hoppers and a Joey soon. Could someone with a Hopper try something out so we can get a definitive answer on how something works? Please? :)

One of our pet peeves is TV shows that are recorded having the last minute cut off because Dish's source for TV listings shows everything starting and stopping on the exact half hour or hour. And even if you set the default to be ending with 3 minutes extra, if you are using all tuners, it will switch to the next show and cut off that last minute.

One of the biggest attractions of PTAT for us is never missing that last minute again! BUT - we will need to save some shows for watching past the default 8 days. I understand that you can save a show that is in the PTAT and save it individually to watch later (right?) I.e. lets say I have the PTAT recorded, but I need to save Modern Family from that PTAT recording to watch past the 8 day limit. If I "pull it out" and save it, will the resulting recording be cut off at the hour or half hour? Or can I choose to save it out of the PTAT recording and save it with an extra minute or two on the end?

Can someone test this? I know Modern Family's ACTUAL end time next week is 9:31 CT (not the 9:30 that Dish's guide shows - you can see real start and end times on a listing provider like http://tvlistings.zap2it.com. Could someone save Modern Family out of their PTAT recording next week and see if it cuts off the last minute?

(Since I don't have a Hopper yet I may be completely wrong on being able to pull a show out of a PTAT recording and individually save it for later watching.)

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:53 PM

We'll be switching from our 722/612/612 to two Hoppers and a Joey soon. Could someone with a Hopper try something out so we can get a definitive answer on how something works? Please? :)

One of our pet peeves is TV shows that are recorded having the last minute cut off because Dish's source for TV listings shows everything starting and stopping on the exact half hour or hour. And even if you set the default to be ending with 3 minutes extra, if you are using all tuners, it will switch to the next show and cut off that last minute.

One of the biggest attractions of PTAT for us is never missing that last minute again! BUT - we will need to save some shows for watching past the default 8 days. I understand that you can save a show that is in the PTAT and save it individually to watch later (right?) I.e. lets say I have the PTAT recorded, but I need to save Modern Family from that PTAT recording to watch past the 8 day limit. If I "pull it out" and save it, will the resulting recording be cut off at the hour or half hour? Or can I choose to save it out of the PTAT recording and save it with an extra minute or two on the end?

Can someone test this? I know Modern Family's ACTUAL end time next week is 9:31 CT (not the 9:30 that Dish's guide shows - you can see real start and end times on a listing provider like http://tvlistings.zap2it.com. Could someone save Modern Family out of their PTAT recording next week and see if it cuts off the last minute?

(Since I don't have a Hopper yet I may be completely wrong on being able to pull a show out of a PTAT recording and individually save it for later watching.)

Thanks

Yes, you can save PTAT events to your hard drive so they do not automatically delete. The event would be cut off when it ends, however, sometimes I do notice the events are a minute short. I think you can edit the PTAT timers but I can't check right now because during PTAT hours you can't get into the PTAT menu or edit settings.

#3 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:21 AM

You can always save extended timers on PTAT channels by setting a regular timer with extended time and unskip it in the daily schedule. It will use another tuner and avoid the default PTAT end. Alternatively, for all PTAT recordings except the last of the night, if you watch from the PTAT menu during the 8 days the recording continues to run into the next show's time.

Using another tuner is a good option for shows that are routinely late - like Sunday night on CBS after games.

#4 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 710 posts
  • LocationNW Iowa

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:36 PM

You can always save extended timers on PTAT channels by setting a regular timer with extended time and unskip it in the daily schedule. It will use another tuner and avoid the default PTAT end. Alternatively, for all PTAT recordings except the last of the night, if you watch from the PTAT menu during the 8 days the recording continues to run into the next show's time.

Using another tuner is a good option for shows that are routinely late - like Sunday night on CBS after games.

Hmmm. Well if I have to use the 3rd tuner in order to record the shows and not miss the end of the show, I'm not sure why I'd use the PTAT. :(

#5 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,220 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:12 PM

PTAT works good when programs stay within their schedules ... but sports overruns and pushing the show after sports out of prime time breaks the feature.

#6 OFFLINE   oldengineer

oldengineer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 455 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:16 PM

I personally have timers set for PTAT shows that know I want to watch. They take up a timer but not a tuner. My PTAT shows are set to stop 2 minutes late and I don't have any problem with endings there.

2H/1J

#7 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:08 AM

Hmmm. Well if I have to use the 3rd tuner in order to record the shows and not miss the end of the show, I'm not sure why I'd use the PTAT. :(

That's silly, I just explained to you how to deal with an unusual circumstance. PTAT works fine with the vast majority of recordings, and where else can you record 4 channels with one tuner?

#8 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 400 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:16 AM

I've been using PTAT and saving certain shows as a series since we got the Hopper in October. I haven't missed the beginning or end of any of the shows we normally watch. I usually see the the beginning of the next show when I'm watching one of the episodes from My Recordings. If I watch the following show I see the end of the previous show. I don't miss the end or the beginning using PTAT and saving a series to My Recordings.

#9 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:01 PM

I'm probably missing something here, but could the OP just move the show on AFTER Modern Family to the external hard drive too?

And while it may not be as convenient, at least that last minute of Modern Family will be in the HDD somewhere.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...