Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Billing Problem - Can I help have this fixed?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   chevyguy559

chevyguy559

Fresno State Bulldog!

• Registered
  • 706 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:05 PM

Ok, so I've been living in a rental house since August of 2012. I rent the house from a girl that my wife works with. I have DirecTV installed. Since I've moved in, I've received DISH Network bills, in another persons name (not the girl I rent from) and its to my address but with a "#15B" apt or suite # added to end of it. This is a single family home and to my knowledge has never had anyone by the name on the bill live here (I've done a title search on the property and the girl I rent from is the 2nd owner, property was built in 2002, and the original purchaser was nothing close to the name on the bill). I usually just throw the bill away, but I started to wonder about it when I received another bill today. Would DISH have a "service" address on file that they could change the billing to? Should I try to contact DISH Network to get it figured out? Or should I write "NOT AT THIS ADDRESS" and put it back in the mailbox? Or should I just mind my own business! :lol:

DirecTV Subscriber Since 11/2008
Choice Ultimate - HD Extra - RZC
(2) HR22-100
(1) HR22-100 (Owned)
(1) HR21-100 (Owned)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:28 PM

Just email the account number on the bill to one of the DIRT team members here, and let them worry about finding out who isnt paying :)

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:01 AM

Ive worked for Dish and ran into this a few times.

If you call in and request that there be changes made they wont be able to help you since its not your account, they cant change the billing/service address. The only thing that can hopefully happen is if Dish contacts the actual owners of that service account.

Adding the "158#" thing to the end of it is a trick retailers and shady sales agents use to trick the system, For instance if the system pulls up bad info for a certain address that prevents the agent/retailer the sell , ive often seen them add random info to the end of the address to force it through like random numbers or even letters like "ABC street B".
Sometimes it works and the customer actually gets there bill to there actual real address, and the other times it ends up in completely random places :P

#4 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,162 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:34 AM

It sounds to me like you have a "mover" using the address, if it bothers you, have the local Post Office location notify Dish that this specific address does not exist or at least the addressee does not reside here and let Dish deal with it. Or if you don't care, then just throw the bill in the trash. I'm sure the addressee either has auto pay or at least views his bill online. If the addressee would have signed up with papterless billing, you would never know about it.

#5 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:40 AM

To echo garys, I would let the post office know that no one at the address they are delivering this mail to lives there, and leave it at that. I think you have that obligation. Beyond that, I would not care because if the bills keep coming someone is paying them, online as suggested. If someone is using it for moving, I wouldn't care until perhaps I was going to get Dish, but even then it sounds like your actual address is different anyway.
To me anyway, it's not your house, and doing anything more is trying to get someone in trouble, that's up to you.

#6 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,176 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:46 AM

When I get things come to my house that are not for me I write on the envelope,
No one here by this name, Return to Sender.
If I get a second one I throw them in the trash can.
If the actual customer is not on Auto Pay the service will soon be cut off and then it will get straightened out for sure.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#7 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 718 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:32 AM

When I get things come to my house that are not for me I write on the envelope,
No one here by this name, Return to Sender.

That is the best that you can do. I think it is illegal to open mail not addressed to you.
Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#8 OFFLINE   chevyguy559

chevyguy559

Fresno State Bulldog!

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 706 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:34 AM

Thanks guys :D I'll just write on it and put it back in the mailbox a couple times, and if it keeps coming I'll just toss it, its not really a big deal

DirecTV Subscriber Since 11/2008
Choice Ultimate - HD Extra - RZC
(2) HR22-100
(1) HR22-100 (Owned)
(1) HR21-100 (Owned)

#9 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,299 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:47 AM

Returning misaddressed mail to the post office would be the proper thing to do.

How often that gets done, especially years after taking over an address or for mail addressed to a person who has never lived at that address? I suspect a lot of mail is being destroyed.

The post office should take back misdelivered mail ... the thing to watch for would be junk mail addressed to "or current resident". That is yours to read/destroy. If it is not for "resident" it should go back into the mailstream.

spam firewall