Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Siriusly?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,502 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:09 AM

I flipped on one of the Sirius channels last night before I sacked out and what do I hear? Voiceovers droning out the channel name every few minutes. Not between songs ...... over them.

Yeah, I don't normally listen to this, and may not again.

I usually use the generic CD Audio channels and have never heard that on those.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:36 AM

Some of the channels have DJ's and you will hear them between song with maybe a little overlap. If this is not what you are referring to, you may have a software problem.

#3 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:45 AM

Pandora on my Hopper.
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#4 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,502 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:45 AM

Not a DJ really.

Just a male voice saying simply the channel name on Sirius. Just a few words as one song fades out and the next fades in.

#5 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,070 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:18 AM

I flipped on one of the Sirius channels last night before I sacked out and what do I hear? Voiceovers droning out the channel name every few minutes. Not between songs ...... over them.

Yeah, I don't normally listen to this, and may not again.

I usually use the generic CD Audio channels and have never heard that on those.

I love Sirius-XM. Regular radio has way too many comercials! The voice you heard was: Pat Saint John.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#6 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,204 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:50 AM

Not a DJ really.

Just a male voice saying simply the channel name on Sirius. Just a few words as one song fades out and the next fades in.

Yep ... just branding. Perhaps not the involved DJ talking for three minutes between songs (although some SiriusXM music channels have that) but enough of an announcer to let listeners know that they are listening to SiriusXM.

#7 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,502 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

Yep ... just branding. Perhaps not the involved DJ talking for three minutes between songs (although some SiriusXM music channels have that) but enough of an announcer to let listeners know that they are listening to SiriusXM.

Or anti-piracy, with just enough information to let someone listening to a recording somewhere else know where it came from.

#8 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 518 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

Nothing to do with Dish - if you have a beef, it's with SiriusXM.

#9 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:13 PM

I've not heard that on the channels I listen to.

#10 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,908 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:12 PM

Which Sirius channel? The ones I listen to play many songs in a row before a DJ comes on. You really don't need a DJ, the song titles are on the screen (with a few exceptions).

I have heard business establishments playing Sirius/XM channels as background music. I thought they were only for non commercial home use. Perhaps they are now competing with Muzak. BTW: those "generic" channels are actually Muzak channels whose primary use are commercial. I actually preferred those non DJ channels until I learned about some special programming found on Sirius/XM (namely "Breakfast with the Beatles" on 6021 LSUG).
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#11 OFFLINE   jamelar

jamelar

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:48 PM

I have heard business establishments playing Sirius/XM channels as background music. I thought they were only for non commercial home use.

At their website, there is an area for commercial use subscription. Last time I checked, it wasn't much more than personal use.

#12 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 540 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:23 AM

In their early days the ads were all "commercial free". What wasn't said and a lot of poeple didn't find out until they paid and used the service was that they were not "air personality free". I hate regular radio because of the dolts that are on it. So when I found out, no Sat Radio for me.

With the CD channels I don't know why they brought in Sirius? I'm fine with the what's left of the CD channels. But then I just got a new Pioneer receiver and it has Pandora, their own vTuner, iTunes and DLNA. And it has a timer (Yippeee!). So . . .

#13 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,204 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:56 PM

I see having the Sirius channels on DISH as being a bonus. They work as a marketing tool for SiriusXM to sell subscriptions and on the talk channels on my SiriusXM subscription they play a lot of DISH advertising. Reaching satellite radio subscribers to cross sell DISH service is not a bad thing.

They might be better if they were uninterrupted music, but most of the dolts keep their talk to a minimum (at least on the music channels I listen to). Nowhere near the dolt level on local broadcast radio where they have to make local references to make them sound like they care. I dumped local radio when I realized that they were getting less than 30 minutes of music in each hour during morning drive. 16-20 minutes of commercials and 10-14 minutes of dolt filled the rest of the hour. Sirius does not have the commercials and has far more professional dolts. :)

#14 OFFLINE   olds403

olds403

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:53 PM

Used to have an XM subscription, only the music channels are commercial free (not personality free), the talk stations have commercials. Got sick of paying for more commercials than I got on broadcast radio. The music stations aren't too bad but not worth the money they charge for them. If it was only $3-4 a month it would be ok but at $9-10 a month it is way too much. My last car had an XM radio from the factory (I bought it used) and the XM was still active on it. It was ok for free but would not pay for it anymore.

#15 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,502 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:41 PM

I've tried a couple of other channels and got the same thing. Tried one that was supposed to be a music channel, heard some guy talking. Sounded like an interview of some kind. Turned it off after a few seconds.

I'll stick with the generic AUD and CD channels.

#16 OFFLINE   Wilf

Wilf

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:49 AM

There are probably thousands of IP audio channels to choose from, some of which have better audio quality than Sirius. The difficult part is finding the gems among them. As a lover of classical music, my favorite is one from the Netherlands, 256 kbps, no commercials - nothing but music.

#17 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 540 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:01 PM

There are probably thousands of IP audio channels to choose from, some of which have better audio quality than Sirius. The difficult part is finding the gems among them. As a lover of classical music, my favorite is one from the Netherlands, 256 kbps, no commercials - nothing but music.

Since iTunes started making Internet radio available that's all I listen to when I get bored with my (huge) music collection. I have stumbled on many great stations, and you can input your own if they don't have it, that are far better than any OTA station. Just lost one yesterday to being too popular and they're doing one song, two commercials. Too bad, they were really good. Also had the music service that cable companies came out with years ago in conjunction with Muzac. Which the CD channels on DISH basically are now. Loved that although it cost me a lot of money. I kept buying the whole albums. Single cuts were not available like they are now. And then the new receiver that I just got has Pandora, Sirius (but . . .), vTuner (that has set stations and you can add your own), AirPlay and DLNA, like most newer audio/video gear has now. So who needs Sirius/XM? They'll have to "siriusly" revisit their business plan if they want to compete with all that is out there now. I have friends that have it in their cars and never use it. So . . .

#18 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,070 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:05 PM

I see having the Sirius channels on DISH as being a bonus. They work as a marketing tool for SiriusXM to sell subscriptions and on the talk channels on my SiriusXM subscription they play a lot of DISH advertising. Reaching satellite radio subscribers to cross sell DISH service is not a bad thing.

They might be better if they were uninterrupted music, but most of the dolts keep their talk to a minimum (at least on the music channels I listen to). Nowhere near the dolt level on local broadcast radio where they have to make local references to make them sound like they care. I dumped local radio when I realized that they were getting less than 30 minutes of music in each hour during morning drive. 16-20 minutes of commercials and 10-14 minutes of dolt filled the rest of the hour. Sirius does not have the commercials and has far more professional dolts. :)

How much do you pay for Sirius? I listen to 40's on 4 on my TV when I'm in bed on the TV. It's kind of hard on the TV. I leave it on all night.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#19 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,204 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:02 PM

How much do you pay for Sirius? I listen to 40's on 4 on my TV when I'm in bed on the TV. It's kind of hard on the TV. I leave it on all night.

I pay $9.62 per month after taxes. I subscribe to an a la carte plan ... 50 channels for $7.99. The music fee and taxes make up the rest.

With retention plans some people are paying that much for everything but I don't want to play games. I could not even come up with 50 channels that I wanted ... and I know I won't miss cancelling before an auto-renewal at full price (the trick the people on retention plans use). So I am on a monthly under $10 plan and I get all I want (Nascar, selected news channels, my region's weather and the music channels that I can tolerate).

As far as your listening ... have you considered running the audio output of your receiver into an amp separate from the TV? If you got Sirius XM you would need to do this (or get the boombox). Leaving the receiver on and the TV off with a small amp may save some of the wear and tear on the TV.

#20 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 853 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:13 AM

Another classic lover here. Can you give me a hint on finding the Netherlands station.

So far one of my favorites is a Portland station.

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

spam firewall