Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Watch recordings before sending DVR back?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 946 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

Well he didn't. He just had to call DTV to have the work order updated to reflect the fact I was keeping the old boxes and that I understood I would be charged $6 for each of the DVRs until I deactivated them.

In your case he did not swap a box he set the new one up as a new outlet. On a swap/replace work order the line item on the order will have the tech pick the access card that is being deactivated (some lines already have the access card picked) and that access card and receiver is expected to be brought back to the warehouse by the tech.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:40 PM

Carl, I really don't know how long you can play the content, but I get a week out of them at the beach. Every time.
Rich

Rich I am going to take one of my HR24-500s with me to Hilton Head Island this summer to see how it works because if it does that will be Fantastic to watch my Recordings while on vacation especially if it rains and I can't be outside at the pool or the beach. :hurah:
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#23 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:43 PM

If a tech swaps a box they are supposed to get the old box in all cases it doesnt matter if it is an HR20 or an old Sony Sat-B1.

Well, I have 2 of them in my attic that Directv said they did not want back because they were Legacy DVRs and could no longer to sent back out to other customers.
Here's My Setup

#24 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 946 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:49 PM

Were these replaced by a tech or mailed to you? If the latter then yes they do not recover them because the cost of mailing back is not worth it. If a tech swapped them then he/she did not do their job properly as they were supposed to recover them from you. The box is recycled and the access cards are scanned for any PPV purchases that were not billed and recycled as well. (some of those cards end up being redeployed).

#25 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:52 PM

They were mailed to me as Replacement DVRs but I kept them just in case that info was wrong and down the road Directv decided they wanted them back or were going to bill me for them. :nono2:
Here's My Setup

#26 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,642 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:51 PM

You have some time, but do not power it off. If you power it off, when you power it back on it won't work without a sat signal.

At first it won't work, because it is busy trying to find a sat signal. Press "Exit" and it lets you access the play list and play recordings.

I got 4 days out of a failing HR20; might have got more but finished watching.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#27 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,348 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:46 AM

Rich I am going to take one of my HR24-500s with me to Hilton Head Island this summer to see how it works because if it does that will be Fantastic to watch my Recordings while on vacation especially if it rains and I can't be outside at the pool or the beach. :hurah:

Unless something changes, it will work for at least a week. They do have HD TVs where you're staying, right? I've had to bring a 42" set with me the last two years.

Rich

#28 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,348 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:48 AM

Well, I have 2 of them in my attic that Directv said they did not want back because they were Legacy DVRs and could no longer to sent back out to other customers.

Yup, I've got a bunch of them, too. Even have a 21-200 that's supposed to be returned. Been months, still waiting for a recovery kit.

Rich

#29 OFFLINE   grecorj

grecorj

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:50 AM

The suggestion of reconfiguring it for 1 tuner and keeping it active while you watch the recordings on it is probably the best approach. When you are done with it, call and deactivate it. Then they will send you out a recover box to return it.

I think this is what I'm going to do. But I think I'll actually keep the DVR as a 1 tuner DVR and just return my plain old vanilla H24 receiver. Don't know why I didn't think of this before. This way I'll be maxed out at 8 tuners (Genie, HR24 and HR24 w/1 tuner enabled). Duh, don't know why I didn't think of this before! Eventually will get a client for Genie to install in yet-to-be-finished basement.

Thx.
HR34-700 --> HDMI --> Sony KDL-46EX501
HR24-500 --> HDMI --> Sony KDL-32EX401
HR24-500 --> HDMI --> Samsung LN19A450C1D (only 1 tuner active)

DIRECTV customer since Feb 2002
HD, WHDVR and ICK since Aug 2010
P.I.T.A. since birth :)

#30 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:17 AM

Unless something changes, it will work for at least a week. They do have HD TVs where you're staying, right? I've had to bring a 42" set with me the last two years.
Rich

Yes, they just Upgraded their TV to the latest and greatest Flat Screen HDTVs and all I have to do is bring my HR24-500 plus my HDMI Cable and I should be Good To Go!!! :)
Here's My Setup

#31 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:18 AM

Yup, I've got a bunch of them, too. Even have a 21-200 that's supposed to be returned. Been months, still waiting for a recovery kit.

Rich

I had to call three times before I got a Recovery Kit for one of my DVRs that had to be returned. :)
Here's My Setup

#32 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,348 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:32 AM

Yes, they just Upgraded their TV to the latest and greatest Flat Screen HDTVs and all I have to do is bring my HR24-500 plus my HDMI Cable and I should be Good To Go!!! :)

The condo we stayed at last year told us the same thing about the TVs. Yeah, they upgraded to flat screens in the living rooms, but nowhere else. 3 bedroom, luxury condo on the beach and 3 out of 4 TV sets SD. And, unbelievably bad Wi-Fi. Last time for that place!!!

Rich

#33 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,348 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:33 AM

I had to call three times before I got a Recovery Kit for one of my DVRs that had to be returned. :)

I'm not gonna call them. I'll wait until it shows up on my bill and then call Retention and see what happens.

Rich

#34 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:37 PM

The condo we stayed at last year told us the same thing about the TVs. Yeah, they upgraded to flat screens in the living rooms, but nowhere else. 3 bedroom, luxury condo on the beach and 3 out of 4 TV sets SD. And, unbelievably bad Wi-Fi. Last time for that place!!!
Rich

Marriott put all Flat Screen HDTVs in the Living Room and the Bedroom and Upgraded their WiFi so now it is pretty decent as we Owners had Bitched about having 150 kbps speed so I will be Good To Go!!!

I have 2 Ocean Front 2 Bedroom Villas and it is really Nice especially now with the Upgrades (they Upgraded our Furniture, Curtains and Window Treatment so it looks better now than when we first bought the 2 weeks. :D
Here's My Setup

#35 OFFLINE   grecorj

grecorj

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:41 PM

Regarding re-doing satellite setup....will I have to choose everything from scratch, or will it remember most settings as I go thru setup...in other words, how bad can I screw this up if all I'm trying to do is go from 2-->1 tuner on my HR24?

#36 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,228 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:18 PM

I'm not certain, but I think all the current settings will come as the default option as you go back through. You should just be able to keep those. Worst case you would need to know if you have a 3 or 5 LNB dish, SWM or multiswitch. After that there are not too many options you could mess up.

#37 OFFLINE   grecorj

grecorj

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:12 PM

I'm not certain, but I think all the current settings will come as the default option as you go back through. You should just be able to keep those. Worst case you would need to know if you have a 3 or 5 LNB dish, SWM or multiswitch. After that there are not too many options you could mess up.

Thanks!

#38 OFFLINE   grecorj

grecorj

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:30 PM

yup, dual vs single tuner was choice on first page. finishing up setup now...continue...continue...haha. I probably should have hit exit before it started downloading program guide data ... but wasn't sure of the effect. That's fine.

Genie install up next! Then I will have octo-tuners, haha.

#39 OFFLINE   grecorj

grecorj

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:03 PM

Done at last.

At first Genie was stuck in "validating installation" screen. Called customer service. Reboot and software updated and receiver activated. I had rep deactivate the H24 on my account. However after I got off the phone I noticed one of my HR24's still on my account was giving me a "receiver identification" error message. 10 more minutes on phone with DirecTV and all good -- yes, first rep had somehow deactivated 2 of my receivers instead of 1!

All working now, 8 tuners in full force!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...