Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Client playback stuttering from HR34 Genie

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   edmartin

edmartin

Legend

• Registered
  • 149 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:57 AM

I recently upgraded to the HR34 as my main DVR. I also have 2 HR24's. I have Whole Home setup.

Playback directly on the HR34 works fine. But if I try to watch a show recorded on the HR34 on either of the HR24's, it "stutters" - every 30-60 seconds it will freeze, and then start playing again a few seconds later. It makes the programming unwatchable.

Any thoughts on what I might try to either fix it or figure out what's wrong?
HR22-100

HR20-700 (x2)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,134 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:59 AM

Whole home using DECA?

#3 OFFLINE   edmartin

edmartin

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 149 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:12 AM

Whole home using DECA?

Yes. HR34 and HR24's have DECA adapters integrated. And I have a central DECA box (DECA1MR0-01) connected into my main router.

For what it's worth, I replaced an old HR24 with the HR34. I have had Whole Home working (using DECA) for quite a while. It wasn't until I went to the HR34 that the stuttering began.

All the DVR's see each other just fine. All programming shows up. Running the internal tests reports no errors (other than the DVR's can't detect a dial tone as I do not have phone line connected to any of them). I've tried rebooting my cable modem & router. I've tried rebooting the DECA connected to my router (power off/on). I've tried restarting all of the DVR's (through the menus as well as red button reset).
HR22-100

HR20-700 (x2)

#4 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,057 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:24 AM

Are you using an SWM16 multiswitch? You've got 9 tuners and an SWM LNB won't handle that. While that shouldn't cause the specific symptom, it might be a factor.

I would double check all coax connections throughout your system. Then shut the entire system down (remove power completely), including the SWM power inserter. Wait a minute or two, then power up the SWM, wait a minute and power up the HR34, wait a minute and power up one of the other DVRs, wait a minute and power up the last DVR.

#5 OFFLINE   edmartin

edmartin

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 149 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:58 AM

Are you using an SWM16 multiswitch? You've got 9 tuners and an SWM LNB won't handle that. While that shouldn't cause the specific symptom, it might be a factor.

I would double check all coax connections throughout your system. Then shut the entire system down (remove power completely), including the SWM power inserter. Wait a minute or two, then power up the SWM, wait a minute and power up the HR34, wait a minute and power up one of the other DVRs, wait a minute and power up the last DVR.

Yes, I do have a SWM16. DirecTV installed that) when they installed the HR34. They also installed a new LNB on my dish.

I have done the power cycle but not leaving everything off for a while. I'll try that again. And the coax connections again, too.
HR22-100

HR20-700 (x2)

#6 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,355 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:33 AM

It it is at all feasible, you might try connecting your router directly into the HR34 and using it as a bridge. You can unplug your CCK and see if that changes anything.

I use my 34 as the bridge to my Whole Home system.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#7 OFFLINE   mabellboi

mabellboi

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:22 PM

Wait, my 34 will add the Internet to the stream for my h23 in my upstairs bedroom? The Cck isn't needed? I just have the 2 TV's and whole home. I get skipping on my h23 when I try to watch things I've recorded. If cutting out the deca's will work, I'm all for less clutter!

#8 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,355 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:25 PM

Wait, my 34 will add the Internet to the stream for my h23 in my upstairs bedroom? The Cck isn't needed? I just have the 2 TV's and whole home. I get skipping on my h23 when I try to watch things I've recorded. If cutting out the deca's will work, I'm all for less clutter!

You can use your HR34 in place of the Connection Kit. It will act as the bridge and send the signal via coax network. But if your other DVRs don't have internal DECAs, then those boxes will still need the white, external DECA.

I still have to use the DECA box on my HR23.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#9 OFFLINE   jsclarke

jsclarke

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:06 PM

I have the same stuttering problem- stuttering when using a C31 connecting to an HR 34. New installation- 2 months old. Had been doing whole home for years prior without a single issue- but that was with wired ethernet to each receiver.

I have SWIM 16 Direct installed- and CCK. In our case 2 C31s never experience a problem- only 1 does. After 40 min on the phone Direct is sending a tech out Saturday.

I could try unplugging the CCK and connecting ethernet to the HR34- but- since my problem is stuttering when a C31 views a show recorded on the HR34, or when watching live TV, I don't understand how a CCK could be the culprit? I thought the CCK was just a DECA to ethernet bridge? thanks guys- John

#10 OFFLINE   mak

mak

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:54 PM

I talk to dtv they say it is a software problem so they sent it up to IT.

#11 OFFLINE   mcr2582

mcr2582

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 08:53 PM

Did you find a resolution to this? I have an HR34 genie I'm using as a client and whatever the newer, smaller genie is with built-in wifi. When I watch shows recorded on the HR34 from the HR34, they play fine. But when I watch shows recorded on the other box from the HR34, the shows hang. It doesn't get pixelated like a satellite loss would. If I rewind and play again, it works fine. My understanding is that it's streaming over the coax so I don't see how there could be any congestion/issues. 

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,559 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 25 September 2014 - 08:56 PM

Did you find a resolution to this? I have an HR34 genie I'm using as a client and whatever the newer, smaller genie is with built-in wifi. When I watch shows recorded on the HR34 from the HR34, they play fine. But when I watch shows recorded on the other box from the HR34, the shows hang. It doesn't get pixelated like a satellite loss would. If I rewind and play again, it works fine. My understanding is that it's streaming over the coax so I don't see how there could be any congestion/issues.

so you are using two Genies?

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#13 OFFLINE   mcr2582

mcr2582

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 11:39 AM

Yes

#14 OFFLINE   mcr2582

mcr2582

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 01:05 AM

I'm watching on an HR34 and the content is coming from an HR44. The HR44 is on our wifi network which enables out HR34 to be online. My understanding is the two DVRs communicate over the coax cable. 

#15 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,864 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:50 AM

I'm watching on an HR34 and the content is coming from an HR44. The HR44 is on our wifi network which enables out HR34 to be online. My understanding is the two DVRs communicate over the coax cable. 

You can check the coax network by going to either Genie and pressing the guide and right arrow on the front panel. It may take a few attempts before you see the menu with "coax" on the left. Select it and post the two test [phy level & phy mesh] screens results.

A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...