Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Not getting any sound from HDMI connection

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,347 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:13 PM

I had to unplug mine to get it to work.

He already unplugged it for 5 minutes, but have you tried component cables? or AV cables if you have any, or swap to a different receiver if there is more than the one you have, maybe it can rule out if its the TV,sound system or receiver, if still no sound than connect directly to TV or call D** for replacement.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   cwtech

cwtech

Mentor

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:54 PM

Dont remember the tv brand, but i once had a job were just as you are describing great picture but no sound with a hdmi cable, the tv only had 1 hdmi input, tried swapping hdmi to no avail, the tv input on hdmi also had av audio input so i had to connect the red and white audio cable from receiver to tv with the hdmi to get everything to work, sounds odd i know but see if this isnt your case also. Do you have any other means to test this receiver with, the red white yellow cables, or the red white red blue green cables. Try some of the other options make sure your receiver is giving out sound.

#23 OFFLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:48 AM

You could try turning Dolby Digital off and/or different channels to see if it is some kind of Dolby Digital trouble.

The cable and connector wouldn't be the problem because the Audio is mixed in with the Video in HDMI. If you don't have any picture trouble then your TV is receiving what the DVR is sending out. The question is if the DVR is sending audio and if so why is the TV not processing it.

I have seen at least on TV that you could set the Video input to one physical input (like HDMI1) and the audio to another (like Analog or Optical). Maybe your TV has this option and it is set to get audio from a different input?

Maybe?

Dolby often fails on SD Telecasts.

#24 OFFLINE   RBTO

RBTO

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:42 AM

Removed original HDMI and used a new one and no picture or sound. It may be time to call D*

I think the suggestion was to try your TV with another source like a BD player. Did you try removing the H20 and use another source (maybe a new HDMI cable too while you're at it)? At this point, if the TV has sound with another source, it's pretty likely it the DVR.

I accidentally plugged my HDMI cable into the network plug and ended up damaging the end of the plug (had to replace the cable) - check your cable. Also look at the DVR HDMI receptacle with a magnifying glass. If there's damage of some kind there, it's probably impossible to repair.

#25 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,891 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:44 AM

I think the suggestion was to try your TV with another source like a BD player. Did you try removing the H20 and use another source (maybe a new HDMI cable too while you're at it)? At this point, if the TV has sound with another source, it's pretty likely it the DVR.

I accidentally plugged my HDMI cable into the network plug and ended up damaging the end of the plug (had to replace the cable) - check your cable. Also look at the DVR HDMI receptacle with a magnifying glass. If there's damage of some kind there, it's probably impossible to repair.

But like Mike pointed out earlier in this thread, its hard to see how the HDMI connector is at fault here since the audio (during the horizontal blanking intervals) and video are multiplexed together on the same TMDS channel (the luminance "Y" one I think), so the video should be affected as well.

#26 OFFLINE   RBTO

RBTO

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:10 PM

But like Mike pointed out earlier in this thread, its hard to see how the HDMI connector is at fault here since the audio (during the horizontal blanking intervals) and video are multiplexed together on the same TMDS channel (the luminance "Y" one I think), so the video should be affected as well.

You're quite right. I stand corrected on the cable/connector assumption - will have to be a DVR or TV issue.

#27 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:11 PM

Removed original HDMI and used a new one and no picture or sound. It may be time to call D*

You can, but a failing hdmi port is not grounds for replacement, even with the protection plan - unless things have changes int he last 60 days, they told me to use component

#28 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 450 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:15 PM

This suddenly happened to me too. HR20-700 receiver directly connected to my Sony tv about 2 weeks ago. I've tried to reset the receiver several times and have powered down/up the tv without success. I've resorted to RGB and audio cables.

Direct TV subscriber since 1999
Choice Ultimate Customer
Equipment:: HR21-700 HR20-700 H20-100 (owned) SlimLine 5 Antenna
Winegard HD 8800 8-Bay for OTA

KC9ZOU

#29 OFFLINE   matt1982

matt1982

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:57 PM

Its more than likely the hdmi port on the receiver or the tv...or possibly both from a power surge.I see it on a daily basis. Another possibility is voltage' the hr24 do strange things when there is stray voltage present.

spam firewall