Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

My "package" changed on my bill without my doing. Confused.

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   996911

Go Pack!

• Registered
  • 809 posts
  • LocationTobacco Road, NC

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:18 AM

Just got the email delivery of our current statement and the package has always been the PLUS HD DVR Monthly and the new bill (with a different amount) has us with something called CHOICE EXTRA CLASSIC and has "partial month charge" next to it.

Anybody know what happened here?

TIA for any replies!
Cheers,
Ray Johnson

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:24 AM

Just got the email delivery of our current statement and the package has always been the PLUS HD DVR Monthly and the new bill (with a different amount) has us with something called CHOICE EXTRA CLASSIC and has "partial month charge" next to it.

Anybody know what happened here?

TIA for any replies!

Call DirecTV. They will be able to tell you,
DTV = Digital Television

#3 OFFLINE   996911

Go Pack!

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 809 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

Thanks for the obvious. I have no desire to get on the phone and play the hold game, the transfer game, or the competent CSR roulette game. Was hoping somebody with knowledge of this would be able to provide an explanation.
Cheers,
Ray Johnson

#4 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:32 AM

Thanks for the obvious. I have no desire to get on the phone and play the hold game, the transfer game, or the competent CSR roulette game. Was hoping somebody with knowledge of this would be able to provide an explanation.

It isn't like that at all. All you have to is call and speak to the first available representative. You're better off going to the source and getting the information firsthand.
DTV = Digital Television

#5 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:35 AM

I have called and I say billing, have had no problem doing that.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#6 OFFLINE   996911

Go Pack!

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 809 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:36 AM

Sure, whatever makes you feel better Hoosier. Why is it that some feel the need to post something other than an answer to a question? It's obvious that if I feel like calling I could do just that so your reply isn't needed.

The purpose of the thread is to ask if anybody knows what this is all about if it has happened to them or if they have experience working as a CSR that would shed some light on the situation. That way, if I choose to call, I at least have done some research to gain as many sources if info as possible. If it's a simple explanation that somebody has because they have 1st hand knowledge of it, then it saves me a phone call.
Cheers,
Ray Johnson

#7 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:37 AM

The "Plus HD DVR" package no longer exists, hasn't for a couple of years. The new package changes just went into effect and maybe they are no longer grandfathering the "Plus HD DVR" package which forced a package change.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#8 OFFLINE   996911

Go Pack!

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 809 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:38 AM

Thanks Runner. So it's a lexical change and not a package change. As long as I have the same channels and the price doesn't change (up) then I'm good :)
Cheers,
Ray Johnson

#9 OFFLINE   jeffgbailey

jeffgbailey

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

You were on a really old plan and they moved you to a "newer" old plan

Basically at one time Directv gave you the package+DVR+HD and rolled it all into one price.
My Stepdad had that same plan whereas I had Choice Xtra + DVR + HD and I paid $1 more than he did.
With the price changes the prices are the same now so they moved you to Choice Xtra Classic which is a grandfathered plan (started last year)

The only difference is now they bill DVR & HD as a separate line versus everything as one

#10 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,488 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

Classic price is increasing, I believe $3.

#11 OFFLINE   996911

Go Pack!

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 809 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:41 AM

a "newer" old plan

:lol::lol::lol:

I like that explanation. Sometimes D* just never ceases to amaze me.
Cheers,
Ray Johnson

#12 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:41 AM

Thanks Runner. So it's a lexical change and not a package change. As long as I have the same channels and the price doesn't change (up) then I'm good :)

It is essentially a name change only. There isn't a difference in channels. Just a migration. 68.99 + 10$ HD + 8$ DVR = 86.99, same you were paying for plus HD-DVR. You will however see the 2$ difference when the DVR service goes from 8 to 10$, and 3$ difference when Classic goes from 68.99 to 71.99.

#13 OFFLINE   996911

Go Pack!

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 809 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:42 AM

It is essentially a name change only. There isn't a difference in channels. Just a migration. 68.99 + 10$ HD + 8$ DVR = 86.99, same you were paying for plus HD-DVR. You will however see the 2$ difference when the DVR service goes from 8 to 10$, and 3$ difference when Classic goes from 68.99 to 71.99.

Ah, now I see how they do that. Sneaky.
Cheers,
Ray Johnson

#14 OFFLINE   jeffgbailey

jeffgbailey

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:45 AM

Classic price is increasing, I believe $3.

correct. Choice Xtra Classic will be 71.99 with the increase while the "new" Xtra is 70.99 (and missing 6 channels)

#15 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:48 AM

Sure, whatever makes you feel better Hoosier. Why is it that some feel the need to post something other than an answer to a question? It's obvious that if I feel like calling I could do just that so your reply isn't needed.

The purpose of the thread is to ask if anybody knows what this is all about if it has happened to them or if they have experience working as a CSR that would shed some light on the situation. That way, if I choose to call, I at least have done some research to gain as many sources if info as possible. If it's a simple explanation that somebody has because they have 1st hand knowledge of it, then it saves me a phone call.

I was attempting to help you. How dare I...
DTV = Digital Television

#16 OFFLINE   996911

Go Pack!

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 809 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:52 AM

I was attempting to help you. How dare I...

Whatever you need to convince yourself that your condescending passive aggressive internet posting is anything other than that. Ignore.
Cheers,
Ray Johnson

#17 OFFLINE   996911

Go Pack!

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 809 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:52 AM

To everybody else, thank you for the all the explanations! That helps tremendously. Saved me a phone call.
Cheers,
Ray Johnson

#18 OFFLINE   jeffgbailey

jeffgbailey

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:56 AM

Ah, now I see how they do that. Sneaky.

I was looking through some old files I have of the price increases and that "package deal" was a buck cheaper in 2010 and the same in 2011-2012
Plus HD DVR 79.99
alacarte 80.99 (63.99 + 7 DVR + 10 HD)

Plus HD DVR 82.99
alacarte 65.99+7+10

So they might as well move you to a "newer" plan even though the channels are the same. Again they just bill you each line item

Oh if you try and print the channel list from your account its all hosed up (I have that same plan)
The Classic is the current Choice Xtra + the following channels
NHL Net
Sprout
Boomerang
Chiller
Style
Tennis

You could switch to the new Choice Xtra for $1 less but you'd lose those extra channels

#19 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:04 PM

Mine did this as well. SatelliteRacer had indicated to me in the price increase thread that this was coming.

It's just migrating subscribers on very old grandfathered packages to current packages. The package itself is a lower base price but it also no longer includes the HD and DVR fees. You will now pay separate advanced receiver fees.

Your channel selection will remain the same and the net cost reflects a small increase from last month, however that increas is commensurate with the across the board price increases that are being implemented this month anyway.

Six of one...half dozen of the other. Your programming and overall costs are not going to be materially impacted. The itemization of your bill is changing.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#20 OFFLINE   996911

Go Pack!

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 809 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:20 PM

Jeff, I thought I remember reading something like that a few years ago that if you moved to the "new" package, the delta was $1. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things but it just cracks me up that they keep doing this over and over. If they'd just create a "tier" (aka package) and then modify as needed then there wouldn't be a million different package names floating around. Can't imagine it's good for the CSR's either as I'm sure more people are calling in about this than would come to get educated on a forum like this.

Well, off for me to get prepping for the big game. Thanks again for all the replies!
Cheers,
Ray Johnson

spam firewall