Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

My "package" changed on my bill without my doing. Confused.

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,272 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:36 PM

To everybody else, thank you for the all the explanations! That helps tremendously. Saved me a phone call.

You could have made a phone call in a lot less time than all these posts took.:D

Glad you got it straightened out.

Edited by billsharpe, 04 February 2013 - 01:38 PM.
added second sentence

Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

Jeff, I thought I remember reading something like that a few years ago that if you moved to the "new" package, the delta was $1. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things but it just cracks me up that they keep doing this over and over. If they'd just create a "tier" (aka package) and then modify as needed then there wouldn't be a million different package names floating around. Can't imagine it's good for the CSR's either as I'm sure more people are calling in about this than would come to get educated on a forum like this.

Well, off for me to get prepping for the big game. Thanks again for all the replies!

They need a choice ultimate with out the movie channels but with more sports channels / outer rings for RSN's. AKA a mini sports pack.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#23 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:07 PM

They need a choice ultimate with out the movie channels but with more sports channels / outer rings for RSN's. AKA a mini sports pack.

Umm, Choice Ultimate without the movie channels is pretty much what Choice Exta Pack is. Get Choice Extra and add the sports pack.

Now I wouldn't be opposed to them splitting up the current sports pack into 2 seperate ones. How about one sports pack that includes all the national sports networks like ESPN classic, Universal Sports, TVG, Outdoor Channel, Bein Sports, etc, then a second package that includes the Regional Sports networks, and confrence networks like Big 10, Pac 12, etc. I would love to get the national sports networks like ESPN Classic, Outdoor Channel, and Universal Sports without all the other regional sports networks that I don't really care about. I specifically don't get the Sports Pack because I feel like I'm paying too much for a bunch of regional sports networks that I will never watch, just to get a few national channels that I want to see.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#24 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:12 PM

Umm, Choice Ultimate without the movie channels is pretty much what Choice Exta Pack is. Get Choice Extra and add the sports pack.

Now I wouldn't be opposed to them splitting up the current sports pack into 2 seperate ones. How about one sports pack that includes all the national sports networks like ESPN classic, Universal Sports, TVG, Outdoor Channel, Bein Sports, etc, then a second package that includes the Regional Sports networks, and confrence networks like Big 10, Pac 12, etc. I would love to get the national sports networks like ESPN Classic, Outdoor Channel, and Universal Sports without all the other regional sports networks that I don't really care about. I specifically don't get the Sports Pack because I feel like I'm paying too much for a bunch of regional sports networks that I will never watch, just to get a few national channels that I want to see.

Would prefer them to split all the sports channels out and just offer a package without them at all:)

#25 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:26 PM

Would prefer them to split all the sports channels out and just offer a package without them at all:)

The entertainment package pretty much fits that bill. The only sports it has is ESPN/ESPN2.

#26 OFFLINE   jeffgbailey

jeffgbailey

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:07 PM

now I'd rather have all the sports channels + a handful of "guy" type channels in a package

#27 OFFLINE   jeffgbailey

jeffgbailey

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:09 PM

The entertainment package pretty much fits that bill. The only sports it has is ESPN/ESPN2.

non sports channels you lose by dropping to Entertainment (from Choice)
Cooking
Current
Fuse
IFC
Science
TVOne

#28 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:26 PM

also add to the slip sports pack or a split Choice Ultimate

CBS Sports Channel
Golf Channel
NHL Network
Tennis Channel
Big 10 / Pac 12 out of market. In market choice or choice extra.
Outer RSN rings?
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#29 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:50 AM

It does not have the required channels for the kids. nor some channels I watch, don;t want ESPN/ESPN2 either. A base package of Choice Extra minus all sports would work

#30 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:01 AM

now I'd rather have all the sports channels + a handful of "guy" type channels in a package

Not sure what you mean by "guy" channels - I follow 2 sports and pretty much only with I can attend - Motorcycle GPZ style racing and Rugby, thankfully I spend time in the UK and can attend both regularly. Was able to arrange travel schedule to go to the GRAN PREMIO bwin DE ESPAÑA in may at Jerex Spain.

#31 OFFLINE   242424

AllStar

• Registered
  • 235 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:34 AM

Just got the email delivery of our current statement and the package has always been the PLUS HD DVR Monthly and the new bill (with a different amount) has us with something called CHOICE EXTRA CLASSIC and has "partial month charge" next to it.

Anybody know what happened here?

TIA for any replies!

Changed mine too, doesn't make me real happy. I'm sure it will end up costing more money......

#32 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:30 PM

I also noticed my PLUS DVR went to Choice Extra Classic and the DVR fee is now a separate line item.

In the past as one poster pointed out, PLUS DVR gave you Choice Extra + DVR Service and saved you a buck a month over the individual items. Then the savings went away. And now, to really sock it to old, faithful customers they decided to poke them an EXTRA buck a month for the grandfathered "classic" package which is a first.

But much to my shock and surprise the "regional sports fee" was removed from my bill!! Do I live in the wrong "region" or have they heard enough from irked customers about this annoying charge so they "buried" it somewhere else?

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#33 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Registered
  • 962 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:36 PM

it seems as though I am now paying for local channels that I don't get.. I have choice extra classic with "no locals".. but it seems that I am paying the same price that everyone else is . but still not getting the locals.. and I wonder how long I have been paying this , plus paying for my distant networks.. the savings used to cover a channel and a half of my distant networks.. and shouldn't Directv be letting me know that I am now paying for something that I am not currently receiving?

#34 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:24 PM

it seems as though I am now paying for local channels that I don't get.. I have choice extra classic with "no locals".. but it seems that I am paying the same price that everyone else is . but still not getting the locals.. and I wonder how long I have been paying this , plus paying for my distant networks.. the savings used to cover a channel and a half of my distant networks.. and shouldn't Directv be letting me know that I am now paying for something that I am not currently receiving?

Usually packages that end with "_no_locals" are $3 less than the same package including locals. Check the cost it lists on your bill and compare that to the regular cost of Choice Xtra which is $68.99/mo until February 7.

#35 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:36 AM

Its odd seeing people refer to the plus hd dvr package as an old package cause I worked for them when we were still selling it and it seems like yesterday. The Plus Dvr package they state includes free dvr service but once you get down to the nitty gritty it really doesn't if you compare the price to the choice xtra and the dvr fee. I remember a message would pop up removing plus dvr goes from free to paid dvr and i was like uh no it doesnt -.-. Your saving like 3 dollars but definetely not free. The Plus Dvr also grandfathers in Chiller, The Tennis Channel and The Hub which Xtra does not have (new name starting this Feb).

#36 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:08 AM

Just got the email delivery of our current statement and the package has always been the PLUS HD DVR Monthly and the new bill (with a different amount) has us with something called CHOICE EXTRA CLASSIC and has "partial month charge" next to it.

Anybody know what happened here?

TIA for any replies!

Plus HD DVR is the same as CHOICE XTRA CLASSIC with HD and DVR. No difference in pricing or content.

In October and November all customers were notified with PLUS DVR or PLUS HD DVR packages they would be migrated to the different package name and have DVR and\or HD appear as separate line items on the bill rather than "bundled" into the package name. Most customers were migrated successfully in November and December, but there were some accounts that did not get migrated until January and February.

Now, with the February price increase, the Choice XTRA Classic package is going up a few dollars, but no different than what the PLUS packages were going up. It's an effort to reduce the number of package names for the IT system, agents, etc, especially when the packages are absolutely identical in content.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#37 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:24 PM

In October and November all customers were notified with PLUS DVR or PLUS HD DVR packages they would be migrated to the different package name and have DVR and\or HD appear as separate line items on the bill rather than "bundled" into the package name. Most customers were migrated successfully in November and December, but there were some accounts that did not get migrated until January and February.

Uh, no, ALL customers were NOT notified. I wasn't. As usual, customers are always "in the dark" with what DirecTV is up to unless they faithfully follow the goings-on by visiting DBSTALK.COM. :mad:

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#38 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:27 PM

Uh, no, ALL customers were NOT notified. I wasn't. As usual, customers are always "in the dark" with what DirecTV is up to unless they faithfully follow the goings-on by visiting DBSTALK.COM. :mad:

You may have missed the notifications. I've never been with a company that kept customers aware of changes like D* does. Comcast raised the price of my internet by 30%. When I called to see why they raised it, I was told they had raised the charges. I then asked why I was not notified and was told that Comcast does not notify customers of price increases from the rep I was speaking to.
My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#39 OFFLINE   242424

AllStar

• Registered
  • 235 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:17 PM

Uh, no, ALL customers were NOT notified. I wasn't.

+1

#40 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:53 AM

Did you happen to dig through your spam filter, mine ended up there due to a overzealous email providers spam detection algorithim

Protected By... spam firewall...And...