Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Error 775 from bad LNB?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   CDJohnson25

CDJohnson25

Mentor

• Registered
  • 75 posts
  • LocationOn a long and lonesome highway, east of Omaha

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

After snow storm Wednesday morning caused power to go on and off a few times before I unplugged the entertainment center power strip, we lost all satellite communication and are getting error 775 on all 3 receivers. I cycled the PI and did a RBR to no avail. Called CS and they walked me through same. Anyway, tech is coming Monday, after the Super Bowl.

System: HR24, (2) H24s, slimline 3.

I've been trying to troubleshoot this myself to get it back by the SB game, and to learn a bit more about AV wiring, etc.

PI is outputting 20.8V at the unit and 20.4V at the cable connecting to LNB. Video signal is passing tests (Klein VDV Scout Pro).

1) From what I've read in other posts, this may be a bad LNB?

2) Just curious about this part: I placed remote #1 on end of cable at LNB, but the Scout Pro (at wall jack before PI) read it first as #8, and second time as #7. Is the number different since it is going through the multiswitch?

3) I attached pics of the cabling at the dish. I like the extra cable left coiled up on the back. But, why would there be exposed connections here? Just curious, as I'm all for no exposed connectors.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_2521.jpg
  • 100_2522.jpg

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,171 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

I have no answer for you about the LNB but the connections in the picture are probably the ones with the O-Ring seal and are made for use outside.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,808 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:00 PM

Try removing power (unplugging) all components (PI, all receivers/dvrs). Then plug the power inserter in and wait a minute or two. Then plug in the HR24 and let it come up to live (if it does). Then plug in one of the H24's and wait, then the final H24.

If the HR24 or H24's do not come up, unplug and go to the next device and try it.

Chances are the LNB is bad, and if so you'll just keep coming back to the same problem. But when you do have an problem with an SWM system, taking down the complete system and bringing it back up one item at a time often resolves the problem.

Oh, and for the future get a medium sized UPS and run your power inserter and DVR from it. That way the power bumps shouldn't get you. If power completely drops, you have time to gracefully shut everything down before the UPS battery dies.

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,468 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:26 PM

3) I attached pics of the cabling at the dish. I like the extra cable left coiled up on the back. But, why would there be exposed connections here? Just curious, as I'm all for no exposed connectors.

This is a DirecTV requirement. DirecTV does not want the tech to remove the LNB after the dish is peaked. according to them, removing the LNB after the dish is peaked throws the alignment off. not that I agree, but techs must abide by this rule or face failing QC.

I would inspect all outside connections and make sure there is no corrosion and make sure they are tight once you inspect them

#5 OFFLINE   CDJohnson25

CDJohnson25

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:12 PM

Try removing power (unplugging) all components (PI, all receivers/dvrs). Then plug the power inserter in and wait a minute or two. Then plug in the HR24 and let it come up to live (if it does). Then plug in one of the H24's and wait, then the final H24.

If the HR24 or H24's do not come up, unplug and go to the next device and try it.

Chances are the LNB is bad, and if so you'll just keep coming back to the same problem. But when you do have an problem with an SWM system, taking down the complete system and bringing it back up one item at a time often resolves the problem.

Oh, and for the future get a medium sized UPS and run your power inserter and DVR from it. That way the power bumps shouldn't get you. If power completely drops, you have time to gracefully shut everything down before the UPS battery dies.

yeah, those are the steps I went through, twice, to no avail.

yep, I've had my PCs protected by battery UPS for a long time, just never thought really needed for A/V, just used surge protectors. Guess now I know better:(

Edit: Actually, I reread your steps, and I never tried the other H24s after the HR24 didn't work. I'll give that a shot during halftime

Edited by CDJohnson25, 03 February 2013 - 07:19 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   CDJohnson25

CDJohnson25

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:16 PM

This is a DirecTV requirement. DirecTV does not want the tech to remove the LNB after the dish is peaked. according to them, removing the LNB after the dish is peaked throws the alignment off. not that I agree, but techs must abide by this rule or face failing QC.

I would inspect all outside connections and make sure there is no corrosion and make sure they are tight once you inspect them

ok, thanks I understand the reason to need a connection prior to the LNB if it's not supposed to be removed by the D* tech. (I didn't do it. Nobody saw me do it!)

#7 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:45 PM

It could be the power spike took out the splitter. If you removed that outdoor barrel connector at the dish you could try it at the splitter and get one box working.
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#8 OFFLINE   CDJohnson25

CDJohnson25

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:03 PM

well, Giggity! Tried an H24 first, and it worked, then 2nd H24, and finally HR24, all now working! Thanks carl6 and all for help, I hope it keeps working. I'm still having tech in to verify system is working to spec.

I'm also picking up a UPS for the HR24 and PI. :D

#9 OFFLINE   CDJohnson25

CDJohnson25

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:08 PM

It could be the power spike took out the splitter. If you removed that outdoor barrel connector at the dish you could try it at the splitter and get one box working.

had not tried at the splitter (multiswitch?) since signals and power were testing good through it. Plus the dang thing is in the attic because of the way this place was wired.

#10 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:13 PM

Sounds like you got it working.

Sometimes things pass power but dont return RF.

#11 OFFLINE   CDJohnson25

CDJohnson25

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:16 PM

and that was short lived. System down again with 775 error. Guess I'm back to streaming the game just when it's getting exciting.

#12 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:34 PM

A loose connection. Make sure everything is 30 inch pounds.

Make sure everything is up to spec. Especially behind any wall plates.

Move the furnature out before the tech arrives.

Edited by samrs, 03 February 2013 - 09:43 PM.

#13 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,808 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:02 PM

well, Giggity! Tried an H24 first, and it worked, then 2nd H24, and finally HR24, all now working! Thanks carl6 and all for help, I hope it keeps working. I'm still having tech in to verify system is working to spec.

I'm also picking up a UPS for the HR24 and PI. :D

and that was short lived. System down again with 775 error. Guess I'm back to streaming the game just when it's getting exciting.

Well, at least we tried. Good luck on the upcoming repair. And do get a UPS.

#14 OFFLINE   CDJohnson25

CDJohnson25

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:49 AM

Well, at least we tried. Good luck on the upcoming repair. And do get a UPS.

thanks again all for troubleshooting help.

tech just finished replacing the PI, LNB and SWiM as they all had issues because of the power fluctuations. All is good now, just in time to go to work:(

tech stated do NOT put PI into UPS, do you all agree?

The UPS I use for my PC at home and work are the APC Back-UPS Pro 1000 (model BR1000G) with 4 battery/surge and 4 surge only outlets, 1 ethernet but no coax protection. Is this ok for an entertainment center?

#15 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,171 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:53 AM

I have my PI plugged into my APC 550G and will definitely leave it there.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

spam firewall