Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Swapping HD-DVR with HR34

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   flexed2death

flexed2death

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:56 PM

Decided to finally pull the trigger and get a HR34 (to be installed next Monday). My current setup is:

Slimline dish into splitters (1:4) that feed two SWM8s. I have the following receivers:

1 H20-100
1 HR21-700
4 HR22-100
2 HR20-100

Four of them are connected to one SWM8 and the other four connected to the other SWM8. The installer is suppose to swap out one of the HD-DVRs with the HR34. I have a wiring closet that feeds all the rooms in my home (2 coax and 2 cat5 to each room). What should I expect in terms of installation?

1. What type of additional equipment should I expect to get as part of the install? I read that the HR34 can act as a CCK but that most installers will install a CCK .
2. Will they swap out one of the SWM8's with a SWM16 or add an additional SWM8? The splitters I have from the dish to the SWM8 are 1:4 so I can see them hooking up a new SWM8 instead of swapping out one of the existing SWM8s. I'm hoping they'll install a SWM16.
3. Will they configure all the receivers I have so they can communicate with the HR34? My preference would be for them to configure the easily accessible units (living room and entertainment room) and to leave the others (home office and kids room) for me to do later. Will they leave me the hardware for rooms I don't want them to configure?
4. I paid for my existing SWM8s but have heard that some installers will take them if they replace it, is that true?
5. For units that I don't want to use with MRV, do I need a BSF at all? I read the FAQ on solid signals website and it seemed to imply that you only need a BSF for some older models.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,853 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:14 PM

If you bought the SWM8s yourself, tell the installer they are yours and you want them. That shouldn't be a problem.

Yours will be a complicated installation because you will need more than just an SWM16. You will have 19 tuners when you are done. Don't be surprised if the installer can't do or complete the job first time out (or even know how to make whole-home work across two multiswitches).

Not much really needed for the DVRs that are remaining. Just some menu settings. You can do those anytime.

How many units do you have that you do not want included in MRV? That might be the simple solution for configuration. Put everything that will use MRV on the SWM16 and the rest on an SWM8.

#3 OFFLINE   flexed2death

flexed2death

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:22 PM

How many units do you have that you do not want included in MRV? That might be the simple solution for configuration. Put everything that will use MRV on the SWM16 and the rest on an SWM8.

Three units (one H20 and two HR22's). So it sounds like I should ask him to setup the three units that I don't want setup for MRV on a SWM8 and all other units connected to the SWM16.

#4 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:01 PM

Three units (one H20 and two HR22's). So it sounds like I should ask him to setup the three units that I don't want setup for MRV on a SWM8 and all other units connected to the SWM16.

That would be the easiest. If at a later time, you want the HR22's to have access to MRV, you could add DECAs to them and add a CCK to the SWM8 setup. You would also need to a BSF to the H20. If you don't want to go the DECA route, you could just plug in ethernet to the two HR22's. Just be advised that with doing either of these setups, you will be using your home network for MRV as there is no way to directly bridge the SWM8 and SWM16 networks together.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#5 OFFLINE   flexed2death

flexed2death

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:39 PM

That would be the easiest. If at a later time, you want the HR22's to have access to MRV, you could add DECAs to them and add a CCK to the SWM8 setup. You would also need to a BSF to the H20. If you don't want to go the DECA route, you could just plug in ethernet to the two HR22's. Just be advised that with doing either of these setups, you will be using your home network for MRV as there is no way to directly bridge the SWM8 and SWM16 networks together.

- Merg

Just to confirm, I won't need to do anything for the three receivers that I don't want setup for MRV if I have them setup on their own SWM8, no BSF needed. If/when I do decide to setup MRV on these unit I can either setup a CCK on the SWM8 or connect those receivers directly via ethernet. Thanks for clarifying that you can't bridge the SWM8 and SWM16.

#6 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,853 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:35 PM

Don't connect them to your network and set them to not share playlist.

#7 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:00 PM

Just to confirm, I won't need to do anything for the three receivers that I don't want setup for MRV if I have them setup on their own SWM8, no BSF needed. If/when I do decide to setup MRV on these unit I can either setup a CCK on the SWM8 or connect those receivers directly via ethernet. Thanks for clarifying that you can't bridge the SWM8 and SWM16.

Correct. Just make sure that if you end up using DECA on the SWM8 leg that you need a BSF for the H20.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

spam firewall