Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Legal action against Dish?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Registered
  • 924 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 02:36 PM

This link is about miss leading terms.

http://www.channel30...823/detail.html

I wonder if there is any legal action yet about miss leading on the 921, after all many of the features and functions advertised on the Flyer for the 921 do not work yet. Any Class actions out there?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ride525

ride525

Legend

• Registered
  • 164 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 02:41 PM

How long has the 921 been out? A month or so? Think it is already time for someone to file a class action after just a month, and perhaps not a mass availablilty at that? Maybe give Dish time to work out the problems before suing?
DISH HD is WOW !!!

#3 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 03:00 PM

Yea, support your local class action lawyer. Good idea. :rolleyes:
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#4 OFFLINE   kstevens

kstevens

Icon

• Registered
  • 533 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 03:10 PM

I wonder if there is any legal action yet about miss leading on the 921, after all many of the features and functions advertised on the Flyer for the 921 do not work yet. Any Class actions out there?

Who in the hell would have been mislead. The only people buying right now probably read this or one of the other dbs forums, and if they weren't up to speed on the 921, then they deserve what they got.

Ken

#5 OFFLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 924 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 04:19 PM

What about all those that ready the PDF on the Dish Web Site and then call there local retailer and order one.

The retailer shows up, installs it and many of the things do not work yet, are not turned on, or it crashes every 10 Mins as they mostly watch OTA?

This happened to a guy I used to work with. He does not know about these boards but knows I like Dishnetwork over cable. The retailer never mentioned anything about the know issues which are well documented here and many retailers read.

He is Brother is a Lawyer.

#6 OFFLINE   invaliduser88

invaliduser88

Welcome to Torchwood

• Gold Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 05:55 PM

I'm playing the wait and see game right now. Not enough reason to be on the "bleeding" edge and buying a 921 right now. SW is still beta as far as I'm concerned and I'll see how it matures over the course of this year.

At least it's not running a Microsoft OS!

#7 OFFLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 924 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 06:09 PM

UPDATE:

They are wondering if any one else was thinking of Legal action. THey have NOT started any.

He did call Dish and complained and got FREE Two Moths of the HD package and the Local channels credit (since the HD and Local OTA maping stuff is acting up).

His Brother thought maybe only the retailer could be listed since they sold it to them.

QUestion: Are you Retailers protected out there legaly? Is this maybe why DIsh is not selling the unit them selfs?

#8 OFFLINE   Jerry G

Jerry G

Icon

• Registered
  • 812 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 06:46 PM

It figures that you'd be the one to bring this up. After all, you've plastered the Internet with your multiple reasons for not buying a 921. You have the vendetta against the 921, so naturally, you should take the lead in this instead of trying to get someone else to do it for you.

BTW, I don't think I'll join your suit. Also, "miss leading" is spelled misleading.

#9 OFFLINE   kstevens

kstevens

Icon

• Registered
  • 533 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 06:49 PM

What about all those that ready the PDF on the Dish Web Site and then call there local retailer and order one.

The retailer shows up, installs it and many of the things do not work yet, are not turned on, or it crashes every 10 Mins as they mostly watch OTA?

This happened to a guy I used to work with. He does not know about these boards but knows I like Dishnetwork over cable. The retailer never mentioned anything about the know issues which are well documented here and many retailers read.

He is Brother is a Lawyer.

How many idiots would make a 1000 dollar purchase without doing the necessary research on the product?

Ken

#10 OFFLINE   Tyralak

Tyralak

Icon

• Registered
  • 926 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 08:16 PM

I'm playing the wait and see game right now. Not enough reason to be on the "bleeding" edge and buying a 921 right now. SW is still beta as far as I'm concerned and I'll see how it matures over the course of this year.

At least it's not running a Microsoft OS!

It might as well be. Charlie has a tendancy to use his customers as unwitting, paying beta-testers. :mad:

#11 OFFLINE   willy

willy

Legend

• Registered
  • 238 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 08:23 PM

Maybe Im the first to think of this- but .... there usually is a 30day return policy with retailers. If you arent happy with it, you could return it, yes? If you are upset about the 921 so much you are williing to participate in a lawsuit, why would you have kept it and not returned it and kissed the $1k goodbye?

#12 OFFLINE   awax

awax

Legend

• Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 08:38 PM

Although suing at this point is a bit extreme its good to see "Charlies's bodyguards" are out in full force. He puts out a defective product and its OK or gives misleading info in his own brochure on his own website. It doesn't matter that the 921 hasn't been out very long and it doesn't matter the amount of research done on the various bugs it has. Charlie is wrong for putting out a subpar product and beta testing it on his customers and this paticular user could have taken it back or requested a refund and if that led nowhere then he needs to take it up with his CC company.

#13 OFFLINE   awax

awax

Legend

• Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 08:41 PM

Maybe Im the first to think of this- but .... there usually is a 30day return policy with retailers. If you arent happy with it, you could return it, yes? If you are upset about the 921 so much you are williing to participate in a lawsuit, why would you have kept it and not returned it and kissed the $1k goodbye?

This is a very good point.

#14 OFFLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 924 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 11:21 PM

WHo said any thing about suing?

The guy was just asking if any one out there thought about it.

THe fist post has a link with some action on a contract suit over locals. THen the question was asked if any one is thinking about issues over the 921.

The an example of a real customer complaint was presented where Dish did take care of them with a programing credit.

Point being, customers seem happy for now, but what if the 921 goes to someone new and they are miss lead and the never read any of the DBS forums.

Do all retailers explain that the thing does not work as advertised right now and there is legal action. Do the lawyers go after the Retailer or DIsh.

#15 OFFLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 924 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 11:24 PM

[quote name='scottchez']WHo said any thing about suing?

The guy was just asking if any one out there thought about it.

THe fist post has a link with some action on a contract suit over locals. THen the question was asked if any one is thinking about issues over the 921.

The an example of a real customer complaint was presented where Dish did take care of them with a programing credit.

Point being, customers seem happy for now, but what if the 921 goes to someone new and they are miss lead and the never read any of the DBS forums.

Do all retailers explain that the thing does not work as advertised right now and there is legal action. Do the lawyers go after the Retailer or DIsh.

I spot checked around on some retailers. They do not have 30 day guarentee on new Subs as the work is already done and they get no credit from dish if the account is not active for the proper amount of time.

New customers are going to the Dish public web site and they are seeing the 921 and they are ording it with out all the facts.

spam firewall