Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

What to expect if I drop down.

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   StephenJC

StephenJC

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:51 PM

Ok so I have 2 HR24s and 2 H24s with Choice Xtra, protection plan, MRV, and Free HD for life since I have auto pay. I am thinking of switching to Dish. It will be cheaper for me to get AT 120+ with hopper and 3 Joeys and just drop the DirectTv down to family to finish out my contract, than it would be to pay for what I have now, which is the min needed to get Indians games on STO. My question is if i call and am unable to get any discounts to stay with DirecTv, what sort of fees might I pay when dropping down to just 1 receiver with family? I know I will have to send the HD boxes back but what else?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,192 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:21 PM

Ok so I have 2 HR24s and 2 H24s with Choice Xtra, protection plan, MRV, and Free HD for life since I have auto pay. I am thinking of switching to Dish. It will be cheaper for me to get AT 120+ with hopper and 3 Joeys and just drop the DirectTv down to family to finish out my contract, than it would be to pay for what I have now, which is the min needed to get Indians games on STO. My question is if i call and am unable to get any discounts to stay with DirecTv, what sort of fees might I pay when dropping down to just 1 receiver with family? I know I will have to send the HD boxes back but what else?

with one hopper you will have way less tuners.

Hopper only has 3 and one of them can record the big 4 prime time.

Get at least 2 hoppers for 4 TV's.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#3 OFFLINE   Darth Malgus

Darth Malgus

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:39 AM

If you drop down to the family plan fees will look like this:

Keeping 1 HR24:

Family $29.99
Advanced receiver $20.00 (HD Access $10 + DVR Service $8 if you signed up before the change.)
Primary TV Fee: $6.00
Primary TV Credit: ($6.00) - Your first receiver is free

Keeping 1 H24:

Family $29.99
HD Access $10
Primary TV Fee: $6.00
Primary TV Credit: ($6.00) - Your first receiver is free

Any other discounts will fall off with the exception of HD for life, I can't recall if that had any base package requirements outside of the need to retain Auto Bill Pay. To find out for sure call DirecTV, ask for tech support, and have them input the changes into the system, but not actually confirm them. The system will then calculate the new monthly costs before taxes, and will tell the agent what discounts fall off if the changes are made. Also this month the price increases will take effect. DVR service raises to $10, and the Advanced Receiver line item raises to $25 depending on when you signed up.

Hope that helps

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,671 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:57 AM

HD for life would drop off.

#5 OFFLINE   StephenJC

StephenJC

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:08 AM

But what if I don' t want HD. Can I send them back my receivers for a D12? If so how much will they penalize me? I basically want to cancel but can't afford to pay the huge cancel fee all at once. By going to family I can pay $30 till my contract is up. Receiver probably wont be hooked up to a tv. It will just be sitting on a shelf.

#6 OFFLINE   luckydob

luckydob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 451 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:34 AM

But what if I don' t want HD. Can I send them back my receivers for a D12? If so how much will they penalize me? I basically want to cancel but can't afford to pay the huge cancel fee all at once. By going to family I can pay $30 till my contract is up. Receiver probably wont be hooked up to a tv. It will just be sitting on a shelf.

New receiver, new 2 year contract....typically.

#7 OFFLINE   StephenJC

StephenJC

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:46 AM

Ok well I have 2 old D10 receivers in my basement. Maybe I can get them to just transfer service to one of them.

#8 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:03 AM

If the receiver won't even actually be used, why not just pay the ETF of $20/month and be done with it?

And as others have said, with 4 TVs you should consider 2H+2J with Dish.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#9 OFFLINE   StephenJC

StephenJC

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:17 AM

Because they want the entire cancel fee all at once. Id I drop to family I can just pay $30 a month till I am out if contract. I have a little over a year to go. I know it is $10 more than just canceling but I don't have the full cancel amt.

#10 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:40 PM

Suspend your account for 6 months, and save up the ETF in the mean time, it will end up saving you money.

If you have 12 months left your ETF will be $240. If you can't pay $240 today you can suspend your account for 6 months and save up the $240 over those 6 months. Then in 6 months call and cancel your account. You will still be cancelling with 12 months left in your contract so it will still cost you $240.

Otherwise if you pay $30/month for the remaining 12 months you are going to end up spending $360. And that's if they will let you activate one of the D10s, if they don't they you are going to have to pay $40/month and you end up paying $480.

Or you could just have them put the ETF on a credit card and pay off the credit card over time. The interest on $240 should only be like $4 a month, so you're only paying about $24/month instead of $30 or $40.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#11 OFFLINE   StephenJC

StephenJC

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:51 PM

That is a good idea. Thanks!

#12 OFFLINE   ken100

ken100

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

Just curious, why would anyone have the protection plan? It only covers wiring in your home. It's just wiring you could simply replace yourself. I have never been charged for a house visit to fix an issue, only had one since 1996 and it was my wiring. It was easy to get to and he fixed it and didn't charge for it and I have never had any sort of protection plan.

#13 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:12 PM

The protection plan covers all equipment out of warranty(outside of certain "Acts of God", not just the wiring in the home.

You should be able to activate the D10. At that point, removing the other receivers would have you at $30 a months. I would agree with Beerstalker though. Suspending the account and saving for the cancellation fee would be more cost effective. When does your agreement end? If you don't know, let us know when you started service.

#14 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:15 PM

And Protection Plan Premier covers even more! I have a $1300 Macbook with liquid damage being repaired right now. If you have multiple flat screens, laptops computers, etc.. Premier should be a no brainer.

#15 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,671 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:33 PM

Just curious, why would anyone have the protection plan? It only covers wiring in your home. It's just wiring you could simply replace yourself. I have never been charged for a house visit to fix an issue, only had one since 1996 and it was my wiring. It was easy to get to and he fixed it and didn't charge for it and I have never had any sort of protection plan.

Soon will offer free upgrades outside of Texas.

#16 OFFLINE   StephenJC

StephenJC

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:44 PM

Will I still be able to watch the shows on the DVR while the account is suspended?

#17 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:16 PM

Will I still be able to watch the shows on the DVR while the account is suspended?

Nope.

#18 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,192 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:20 PM

Soon will offer free upgrades outside of Texas.

will the free upgrades be lock in free? as right now some subs can get free upgrades out side of TX.

Or is it a way to start to chip away at the subs with old SD boxes.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#19 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:39 PM

will the free upgrades be lock in free? as right now some subs can get free upgrades out side of TX.

Or is it a way to start to chip away at the subs with old SD boxes.

Accounts, based on market and eligibility, get offers or promotions for many reasons. The Protection Plan upgrade is a guaranteed upgrade every 18 - 24 months at no cost, similar to cell phone providers. I believe it will be largely used to help with projected costs and, like you started to say, keeping equipment up to date. Letting people know they get an upgrade at a certain time would alleviate the guess work of when people may do their upgrades. It probably helps keep people in contract too...

#20 OFFLINE   jeffgbailey

jeffgbailey

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:38 AM

New receiver, new 2 year contract....typically.

SD receivers have a 1 year contract not 2. And yes you can "trade in" a HD receiver for a SD receiver (but D* will be confused as to why you would do that)...they'll probably charge you $69 for the SD receiver
I guess it depends on how much of a contract you have left.

spam firewall