Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Top Gear on BBCA

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:56 AM

Top Gear on BBCA is starting an new season starting tomorrow (4th), but the DVR is not picking it up.

Do you guys have any tips on how to setup the DVR to record Top Gear on BBCA?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,503 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:07 AM

Be sure to have it record all episodes, not just new. It uses the date first aired in UK, so the DVR doesn't think it's new.

Things certainly have changed, I remember when we seemed to be years behind.

#3 OFFLINE   camikeva

camikeva

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:43 AM

The suggestion of recording all episodes will certainly work, but I find that they run these episodes over and over, so they pile up quickly. I have taken to using "View Upcoming" once a week or so, and manually selecting those episodes I'm interested in. It's unfortunate that BBCA chooses to use the initial BBC airing date as the initial date.

#4 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:25 AM

The suggestion of recording all episodes will certainly work, but I find that they run these episodes over and over, so they pile up quickly. I have taken to using "View Upcoming" once a week or so, and manually selecting those episodes I'm interested in. It's unfortunate that BBCA chooses to use the initial BBC airing date as the initial date.

At least the DVR is smart enough not to record the same episode if it is already on the DVR. If you erase an episode and it is shown again, it will be recorded again.

All guide data works the same way. For example, Merlin on SyFy shows the original UK date, and not the first time it was shown on SyFy. Some US shows like NCIS, Castle, The Big Bang Theory, etc are shown first run on one of the major networks and are rerun on one of the cabel networks. There were some shows that were rerun on a different channel in the same week. The dates are always the date that the show was first shown, regardless of where it was shown.

#5 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,177 posts
  • Locationdaytona beach, fl

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:38 AM

i just set up a manual record.

#6 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:21 AM

Thank you for your suggestions. I ended up setting a manual recording also.

#7 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:43 PM

At least the DVR is smart enough not to record the same episode if it is already on the DVR. If you erase an episode and it is shown again, it will be recorded again.

It will only record an episode once in a 28 day period. So if the episode airs again later that day, later that week, or 3 weeks later it won't record it again, whether you have erased it or not.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#8 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,503 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:26 PM

I set up a manual recording. For anyone else, be sure to set it long enough, new episodes are 1:20 in length.

#9 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:59 PM

My DVR is picking up next Monday's airing as new on the series manager.

#10 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,200 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:32 PM

Be sure to have it record all episodes, not just new. It uses the date first aired in UK, so the DVR doesn't think it's new.

Things certainly have changed, I remember when we seemed to be years behind.

That doesn't work because Top Gear run dozens of reruns weekly
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#11 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:48 PM

That doesn't work because Top Gear run dozens of reruns weekly

It's too bad you can't set the time to record of the series manager. Like record all at 6pm for Top Gear. That way it won't record multiple reruns throughout the day.

#12 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:54 PM

Are the UK episodes still edited on BBCA?
DTV = Digital Television

#13 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,200 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:00 AM

It's too bad you can't set the time to record of the series manager. Like record all at 6pm for Top Gear. That way it won't record multiple reruns throughout the day.

I have gotten so use to this issue, that I check all my series manager daily for my shows that have 'first run' recording issue - in other words every Canadian & British program.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#14 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,503 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:24 AM

I don't think so. Tonight's episode runs an hour twenty. They have greatly improved things. And I think they have aired everything except some of the Christmas specials (including 2011) and season 1, which I doubt they ever will.

#15 OFFLINE   terryfoster

terryfoster

Godfather

• Registered
  • 353 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:14 AM

I should probably watch a BBCA episode to check, but I can't imagine they're not edited for content (like eliminating licensed music). With the episodes running ~80 minutes, I don't think they're edited for time.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...