Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Ground

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ebox4greg

ebox4greg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:44 AM

Couldn't find my old thread, but here's the ground re-work after they came back out. they connected the ground to the electrical box of the HVAC unit.

Attached Thumbnails

• ground1.jpg
  • ground2.jpg

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:40 AM

LOL.

One of my very first questions should I be so lucky to go to heaven when I expire is to ask for the real poop on grounding.

I've seen electronics with 3 prong cords, and 2 prong cords, I've seen a very highly skilled sat installer blow up a receiver just by plugging it into a wall outlet, I've been shocked on antennas and different electronics in a variety of homes. I've seen an improperly grounded satellite system survive a lightning strike that hit a tree 5 feet from the dish, I've seen properly grounded coax turned inside out by lightning (seen the reverse of both of those too).

I don't know that I would consider any 'universal' grounding strategy as 'correct', and sorry to say, but I roll my eyes when any installer cites any procedure as gospel.

As for my business, I follow whatever the service provider wants. When it's up to me, I follow the 'octopus' theory (everything grounded to a single point) and I advise customers I really like to see a whole home surge on their electric panel. (Menards has them for around $60). I'd rather see that than a $200 outlet strip. (LOL, but I do have a $200 outlet strip in my home on the big plasma system).

Hopefully (it's all we have) you get by and lightning doesn't pay a visit, and the light company does their job.

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,327 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:14 AM

seems to me, for that very low position of your dish, chances of lightening strike is minimal ... perhaps induced voltage, but not direct strike; especially if you have on top of your home/chimney some metal connected to earth ground rod

#4 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 839 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:15 AM

The AC unit is an appliance, like a freezer, microwave etc
• The AC unit service enclosure is not compliant.
o The AC service frequently uses a ground wire that is smaller than what is required by
the NEC for DIRECTV.
o The AC service ground is not designed to handle the additional voltages introduced by
the DIRECTV, Inc. system.
o A future change in AC wiring may eliminate our ground.
o Metal boxes and conduit installed to support the AC unit may not be made electrically
continuous to the service panel.
o Use of an AC grounding wire introduces potential differences that could put an IRD at
risk from unwanted AC unit induced voltages.

#5 OFFLINE   ebox4greg

ebox4greg

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:12 PM

So, experts, was this done correctly or not?

If the dish had been installed on the side of the house where the electric meter was, it would have been attached to the ground block which does into the ground.

LOS stopped that from happening

#6 OFFLINE   ebox4greg

ebox4greg

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:13 PM

This is a DISH NETWORK system, not DIRECTV, not that it matters.

Edited by ebox4greg, 04 February 2013 - 05:40 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 839 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:52 PM

It doesnt matter point is the ac enclosure is not a valid NEC ground no matter who your provider is. If the power is on the other side then the coax from dish should have been ran to that side and grounded and then to each room in your house.

#8 OFFLINE   ebox4greg

ebox4greg

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:40 PM

Guess that will be Dish network's issue if something happens...

#9 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 838 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:32 AM

So, experts, was this done correctly or not?

I'm happy with it. Gosh, it isn't POWER ground. It's STATIC ground designed to run any static electricity from nearby lightning to ground rather than into the house and into the tuner or whatever electronic device the shielded cable is going to from the ground block.

If you live in lightning storm areas, pulling the plugs and cables from the equipment during storms is the most reliable way to protect your equipment.

Ground LOOPS are another thing related to improper power grounding and not closely related to this grounding topic.

Brian, GOS, TOTC.:grin:

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

#10 OFFLINE   ebox4greg

ebox4greg

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:50 PM

I thought it looked ok, but was just asking opinions.

#11 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 839 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:17 PM

[quote name='Grandude']I'm happy with it. Gosh, it isn't POWER ground. It's STATIC ground designed to run any static electricity from nearby lightning to ground.QUOTE] Exactly and in some cases the metal enclosure is not even grounded it just a housing for the connections and if the metal enclosure is grounded then the wire inside does not meet NEC code.

#12 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 971 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:05 PM

Based on the link below it looks like your installation is fine in terms of grounding. The only thing your pictures don't show is whether there is actually a ground wire inside the conduit that is tied to the box. It would seem that is the case for an HVAC unit but opening that panel to confirm will answer that. The key risk with your installation is not so much lightning but static buildup from wind and that is easily conducted to ground with your ground wire to the box.
Here is the link.
http://ecmweb.com/qa...de-quandaries-7
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

spam firewall