Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Pre-install advice

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sdotson

sdotson

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:26 AM

I've been a DTV customer for 12 years. We are moving into a new house I am renovating and I called to ask if DTV could send out an install tech for a pre-install consult.

I'm looking at getting the new Genie system but have questions as where to best place the main connections to the dish (don't want lines running all around the outside of the house). If the current coax inside the house is compatible (there are splitters throughout the home). Also questions about piggybacking my internet on the coax along with the DTV signal.

They said no. Sorry. They'll come out to install and run where they see fit.

Is there a resource I could use (I'm willing to pay) to ensure that what I have in the home is going to work with no issues before I have the system installed?

Thanks,
Sean

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,075 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:48 AM

I've been a DTV customer for 12 years. We are moving into a new house I am renovating and I called to ask if DTV could send out an install tech for a pre-install consult.

I'm looking at getting the new Genie system but have questions as where to best place the main connections to the dish (don't want lines running all around the outside of the house). If the current coax inside the house is compatible (there are splitters throughout the home). Also questions about piggybacking my internet on the coax along with the DTV signal.

They said no. Sorry. They'll come out to install and run where they see fit.

Is there a resource I could use (I'm willing to pay) to ensure that what I have in the home is going to work with no issues before I have the system installed?

Thanks,
Sean

I'm sure there are those who would give a pre-install survey, but why would you want to pay to have someone do this when DIRECTV will do it for free at a scheduled install job?

If its a good technician, they'll let you know if the current cable plant is up to standard and what new needs to be run which you are free to refuse before they start the job.

They won't (or shouldn't) use the splitters there unless they are the green labeled approved ones to pass the DIRECTV MoCA signals.

And of course they would never (or shouldn't ever) attempt to diplex the DIRECTV satellite signal in with cable modem internet ones on the same coax. That's really asking for trouble.

#3 OFFLINE   sdotson

sdotson

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:53 AM

OK that answers some questions. I did not know I'd be free to refuse the install. Seems kind of dumb to schedule the time for a full install when I just might need only 30 mins or so of his time.

RE splitter: the current coax in the house uses the splitters. That was one of my questions, is this OK or do I need (4-5) separate direct runs from the room back to the main breakout point (not sure what this is called) near the satellite?

RE internet: it's Verizon FIOS. I was not sure if it was possible using DECA to run both the internet and DTV signals on the same line and then split it back out in the room into the genie mini client and then into another device that converts it back to Ethernet.

#4 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 907 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:08 AM

You need to run a line from every room you want DTV in (no splitters) run them to the same location your power meter will be. The tech will do the rest - mount the dish, run coax with a ground wire attached from the dish to the power meter, ground the dish to your power, tie into the wires you ran to each room with a DTV approved splitter. If you want cable internet you need to run a cable for it also seperate from the DTV wire but run it to your power meter also as the cable company will need to ground that line also. If you wish to consult with an installer then look in the phone book or search online for someone local and pay them to come out and talk to you. Please do not waste a techs time by scheduling an install with DTV then just want to talk with him when he gets out because he gets paid nothing for that truck roll in many cases.

Forgot to mention the reason you dont want to run the coax for the dish in the wall is due to the grounding DTV prefers the system to be grounded before it enters your home and some techs will not use your prewired cable for dish if it cannot be grounded properly.

#5 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,075 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

OK that answers some questions. I did not know I'd be free to refuse the install. Seems kind of dumb to schedule the time for a full install when I just might need only 30 mins or so of his time. ...

If you don't like what the installer claims he is going to need to do, you are free to refuse the install at no charge. Yes the technician looses money on the truck roll, but those are the unfortunate breaks in this business.

... RE splitter: the current coax in the house uses the splitters. That was one of my questions, is this OK or do I need (4-5) separate direct runs from the room back to the main breakout point (not sure what this is called) near the satellite?

But the splitters must be the DIRECTV approved ones with the "green" label for passing MoCA signals between their output ports. So unless the technician can access them to change them out, or if they judge there are too many of them on a run causing excessive signal loss, they are going to have to run new lines.

... RE internet: it's Verizon FIOS. I was not sure if it was possible using DECA to run both the internet and DTV signals on the same line and then split it back out in the room into the genie mini client and then into another device that converts it back to Ethernet.

The DECA signals are not the problem with attempting to diplex the satellite feed in with the line carrying the Verizon FIOS' internet signal.

At the Verizon ONT it converts the internet signal from fiber to a coax MoCA signal in the 900-1025 MHz frequency range (called MoCA "C" band) for distribution throughout the residence. This band is also used by the DIRECTV satellite SWiM carriers so the two will interfere with one another.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...