Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Free WiFi For All?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:55 PM

Idea seems to be getting some buzz from the FCC and others, while the cell carriers are opposing it.

http://dailycaller.c...e-wifi-for-all/

Should WiFi be a public utility or a basic human right as mentioned in the article?
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:57 PM

Phone service was never free for all...

Don't see this ever changing, for WiFi.

Public "free wifi" is already horrid in most cases.
Most hotels speeds are absolute garbage, can't support even email.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:59 PM

Idea seems to be getting some buzz from the FCC and others, while the cell carriers are opposing it.

http://dailycaller.c...e-wifi-for-all/

Should WiFi be a public utility or a basic human right as mentioned in the article?

Basically no. It needs to remain a private and profitable way to commmunicate. If the FCC requires carriers to provide free wifi, it will need to be paid for which means the government will need to pay the bill which means government owned (and probably monitored) wifi. Bad idea.

#4 OFFLINE   the_batman

the_batman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:05 PM

Public WiFi will cost someone. The government doesn't have money and big Telco's aren't charity groups.

"Basic human right." That's funny. I'm tired of paying my way and others so they can have "basic human rights."

#5 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

Our cities made the step ... we have free WiFi 1 Mbps ... just drive on 101 and watch the list; for sure it's not "free" as sun or rain, we eventually pay for it thru our taxes.

#6 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:57 PM

Wifi as a basic human right? Puh-leez. That's ludicrous.

#7 OFFLINE   boukengreen

boukengreen

Legend

• Registered
  • 307 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:59 PM

how would that work for people who live in the country who right now are still on dail up cause high speed isn't available
There are some things arrows can't kill, for everything else there's Master Sword.

#8 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:13 PM

Phone service was never free for all...

But television has, and with more and more TV content going to the web, who knows?

how would that work for people who live in the country who right now are still on dail up cause high speed isn't available

The FCC has been on a major push for the last several years to get affordable broadband to as much rural area as possible.

Expansion could be part of their plan for unused/reserved spectrum.

#9 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:16 PM

One of my big concerns is monitoring of traffic and the ability to place restrictions based on the DCMA or other acts. The RIAA has way too much influence, not to mention the MPAA and the broadcasters.

#10 OFFLINE   blackhawkzone

blackhawkzone

Godfather

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:26 PM

I would think that water would rank higher than wi-fi as a human right

#11 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,249 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:32 PM

Yes, a basic human right, like welfare, food stamps, "free" gov't cellphones, SSA disability for "mood' disorders, tummy aches and back spasms -- all paid for by us, the taxpayers. Let's raise taxes again, not to reduce our humongus national debt, but to create and support more and more entitlements and new transfer-payments, rob-the-rich-and-give-to-the-poor, unworkable confiscation schemes.

If I'm going to be robbed blind, I'd rather it be at the point of a gun. I guess that's coming. This country is on the edge of disaster while con-gress fiddles.

Human right? No, just more stupid, fuzzy-minded, here-we-go-again, liberal-minded stinking thinking. :rolleyes:

That's the way I see it.

YMMV

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#12 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,017 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

I pay a lot for wireless data now, and surely don't want to pay more.
It feels like the wireless companies are raping the public now with high costs and data caps.
I'd be interested in a few trials in a cross section of regions (city/rural) to get a cost benefit analysis of "free" or publicly provided wireless data. Could it work in practice, or would it just result in poor service and stifled innovation and higher costs.

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#13 OFFLINE   boukengreen

boukengreen

Legend

• Registered
  • 307 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:24 PM

One of my big concerns is monitoring of traffic and the ability to place restrictions based on the DCMA or other acts. The RIAA has way too much influence, not to mention the MPAA and the broadcasters.

plus that article mentioned 1 down and in todays age you really can't do anything with that. I have 1.5 down and i had to stream the summer games on 240p so it wouldn't continuously buffer and I have to stream on lowest quality on a couple of tech shows i watch on twit.tv or it will always be buffering
There are some things arrows can't kill, for everything else there's Master Sword.

#14 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:03 PM

with all the buisnesses that have free wifi here, any major road has 90+% coverage already.. kinda interesting to drive around with wifi scanner open on netbook..

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#15 OFFLINE   Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould

Icon

• Registered
  • 785 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:35 PM

Funny the wireless carriers think if they get more spectrum that everything will be better. That's a laugh. They will just charge more and give you less.

#16 OFFLINE   Mustang Dave

Mustang Dave

Legend

• Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:22 AM

Looks like a Washington Post reporter screwed up and started this whole story which isn't true. The Post being somewhat of a reputable news source caused the story to be spread rampantly.
The light at the end of the tunnel is a train coming.

#17 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,249 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:52 AM

Looks like a Washington Post reporter screwed up and started this whole story which isn't true. The Post being somewhat of a reputable news source caused the story to be spread rampantly.

Link, reference or source?

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#18 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,439 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

http://www.npr.org/b...dden-policy-war

http://arstechnica.c...-every-us-city/

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#19 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,384 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

Hmmmm.

FDR suggested that all peoples are entitled to:
  • Freedom of speech
  • Freedom of worship
  • Freedom from want
  • Freedom from fear
I realize in this country some idiots might see #3 as the universal right to access a Twitter account for free, but it was supposed to be about a universal minimum entitlement to food, clothing and housing at a subsistence level. We can't even accomplish that for all children in the richest country on Earth.

But somehow getting to your Facebook page for free is discussed as a right????

Edited by phrelin, 17 February 2013 - 01:41 PM.
typo

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

spam firewall