Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Intermittent 771 errors on one reciver

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   spidey

spidey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

The other day the receiver was reporting communications issues with the sat. I checked all connectors found one very loose and after tightening started seeing intermittent 771 errors. Usually on HD locals, 245 HD etc. Went in and did sat setup and saw red x on 99 odd and 103 even, everything else is check ok however 110 odd has no check or red x.

I went out again and checked all connections and everything is tight. Any ideas on whats going on or what to look for???

This is a receiver were I had to rerun a portion of the wire since something ate thru the coax and seemed to be working fine for about two weeks until I did some planting around were the cable comes out of teh coax. I verified I didn't accidentally hit the line with the shovel etc.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:08 PM

Went in and did sat setup and saw red x on 99 odd and 103 even, everything else is check ok however 110 odd has no check or red x.

The red x is a sign of the signal being low, and actually the CNR not being high enough to pass.
If your other receivers pass this same test, then the coax looks to have too much loss.
If the other receivers also show this error, you may have an alignment or LNB problem.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   spidey

spidey

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:11 PM

The red x is a sign of the signal being low, and actually the CNR not being high enough to pass.
If your other receivers pass this same test, then the coax looks to have too much loss.
If the other receivers also show this error, you may have an alignment or LNB problem.

What would cause the COAX to have too much loss? any way to measure it?

#4 OFFLINE   spidey

spidey

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:20 PM

Ok the 2 HR20s both have red x however the HR21 and HR24 are reporting everything OK. The HR24 is actually between the splitters of the HR20-700s. The first HR20 is first in link off first splitter, hr24 is off next splitter as so is the HR20 that is having the 771 errors.

The first HR20 has red x in both 103 and had it once on both 99 and once on another but I do not see any 771 errors reported on this receiver.

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

Now that I realize you have a SWM8, it's starting to look more like an alignment or LNB problem, or the coax from it to the SWM8.
You might try swapping the inputs to the SWM8 around and see if anything changes.

To really know what's going on would take a AIM [meter]. The red x is a sign of failing CNR [carrier to noise ratio],. This test looks at certain TPs and can fail by half a dB, but still have a signal that works with the receiver.

What you seem to have is a borderline signal problem, which should only get worse.
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   spidey

spidey

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:02 PM

Now that I realize you have a SWM8, it's starting to look more like an alignment or LNB problem, or the coax from it to the SWM8.
You might try swapping the inputs to the SWM8 around and see if anything changes.

To really know what's going on would take a AIM [meter]. The red x is a sign of failing CNR [carrier to noise ratio],. This test looks at certain TPs and can fail by half a dB, but still have a signal that works with the receiver.

What you seem to have is a borderline signal problem, which should only get worse.

I may sign up for the protection plan and get them to come out and take a look. I was thinking it was just that last run of coax ( may still be on that receiver ) but the fact the other HR20 is seeing same red x but not 771 errors puzzles me. Thanx for your help VOS

#7 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:08 PM

I may sign up for the protection plan and get them to come out and take a look. I was thinking it was just that last run of coax ( may still be on that receiver ) but the fact the other HR20 is seeing same red x but not 771 errors puzzles me. Thanx for your help VOS

If you're thinking the SWM8 to receiver line might be a problem, put all the receivers on the setup/signal screen for the SWM and look at the numbers.
#1 is the guide channel, and 2-9 are the eight SWiM channels. If you see low readings on one receiver and not the others, then this line might be a problem.
If they're all in the 90s [or so] then it isn't the line from the SWM8.
A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   spidey

spidey

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:11 PM

If you're thinking the SWM8 to receiver line might be a problem, put all the receivers on the setup/signal screen for the SWM and look at the numbers.
#1 is the guide channel, and 2-9 are the eight SWiM channels. If you see low readings on one receiver and not the others, then this line might be a problem.
If they're all in the 90s [or so] then it isn't the line from the SWM8.

All in high 90s except channel 7 and 9 that are zero.

#9 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:56 PM

All in high 90s except channel 7 and 9 that are zero.

Having 2 zeros "should be" because one of your DVRs [or two receivers] weren't on the setup screen.
Going into the setup/view signal screens frees up the SWiM channel(s) the receiver is using.
If all are on the setup/signal screen, there shouldn't be any zeros.
A.K.A VOS

#10 OFFLINE   spidey

spidey

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:32 PM

Ok tested with all receivers on on swm signal strength most values 100 lowest was 96.

#11 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:06 PM

Ok tested with all receivers on on swm signal strength most values 100 lowest was 96.

So it looks like it isn't the coax from the SWM8.
A.K.A VOS

#12 OFFLINE   spidey

spidey

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:08 PM

So it looks like it isn't the coax from the SWM8.

any idea why the two hr20-700 are seeing errors yet the HR21 and HR24 have no issues. The HR21 is off second port on the swm.

#13 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:45 PM

any idea why the two hr20-700 are seeing errors yet the HR21 and HR24 have no issues. The HR21 is off second port on the swm.

It's going to take a meter to know for sure, but I suspect this is a borderline fail and pass, so the sensitivity [difference] of each receiver is what you're seeing.
If it gets "a bit worse", they all will fail.
A.K.A VOS

#14 OFFLINE   spidey

spidey

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:58 PM

One thing I am also noticing is that on receiver reporting 771 during playback of whole home it will drop off the network.

#15 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:19 PM

One thing I am also noticing is that on receiver reporting 771 during playback of whole home it will drop off the network.

The two "shouldn't be" related, unless the coax to the receiver is the problem.
A.K.A VOS

#16 OFFLINE   spidey

spidey

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:28 PM

The two "shouldn't be" related, unless the coax to the receiver is the problem.

I am thinking that could be since a squirrel had eaten through the coax so I repaired it with new connectors and a joint I place of the cut thru.

spam firewall