Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Observations of 922

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Registered
  • 301 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:00 PM

I have to say that my first impressions of the 922 have been favorable. The first couple of days the unit acted quirky, a couple of freeze ups and a missed timer, but since then has settled in and has been steady and reliable.

In my opinion, the PQ is superior to my 722K; it just seems sharper to me. The graphical interface is nice and gives the unit a more of an updated feel.

I use a cooling fan to exhaust out any heat buildup and have the temperatures now at a high of 104, a low of 86, with an average of 93. I did not have this fan in place the first couple of days, so I am wondering if many of the problems I have read about with the 922 are heat related.

I had the same fan setup on my 722K and could never get the high temps below 114 on that unit, but it always ran rock solid with few exceptions.

I realize that the 922 is old tech when compared to the Hopper system, but for me the 922 and 722 before it are all I need for my viewing needs. So overall, I am happy I found a sweet deal for one.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   MaryB@DishNetwork

MaryB@DishNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 359 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:25 PM

I am glad that you are enjoying the 922. I have two of these receivers in my home and I do love them. I love the GUI and I am addicted to the sling! Thank you for sharing!

Mary Catherine Brady
Team Lead- Dish Internet Response Team

Sunday, Tuesday-Thursday 3:30pm-12:00am, Monday 11:30am-8:00pm (MST)

#3 OFFLINE   bkress

bkress

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:41 AM

To be fair to the thread here is my observation on my VIP922, being a Dish Network customer since 1997, seen and used almost every receiver ever produced, (Well)l I "like" this receiver, it's features, operations, graphics, hookups and looks are the top of the game, interfacing with my home media server, the Sling and the OTA module makes this the best designed Receiver Dish has ever produced. I should be Happy Right, WRONG - I am both happy and very disappointed, I tolerate this delightful piece of e-waste, it has to be rebooted two or three times a week, It misses timers, there are occiasions when you wake it up you first have to hit the dvr start a recording then you can go to your channels, but I have learned when this happens you have to reboot the system, I have lost the OTA channels twice, again reboot the system rescan and cross your fingers, you can only record two shows but it better not conflict with a previous timer it will skip it, loses the external drive again reboot the system and remember rebooting the sytems takes almost 20 minutes, I am getting ready to move into a new home in the next few months after 16 years maybe its time to try something new..... but I like Dish programming btw forget the hopper it dosn't have OTA capability:D:D

#4 ONLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 301 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:58 AM

To be fair to the thread here is my observation on my VIP922, being a Dish Network customer since 1997, seen and used almost every receiver ever produced, (Well)l I "like" this receiver, it's features, operations, graphics, hookups and looks are the top of the game, interfacing with my home media server, the Sling and the OTA module makes this the best designed Receiver Dish has ever produced. I should be Happy Right, WRONG - I am both happy and very disappointed, I tolerate this delightful piece of e-waste, it has to be rebooted two or three times a week, It misses timers, there are occiasions when you wake it up you first have to hit the dvr start a recording then you can go to your channels, but I have learned when this happens you have to reboot the system, I have lost the OTA channels twice, again reboot the system rescan and cross your fingers, you can only record two shows but it better not conflict with a previous timer it will skip it, loses the external drive again reboot the system and remember rebooting the sytems takes almost 20 minutes, I am getting ready to move into a new home in the next few months after 16 years maybe its time to try something new..... but I like Dish programming btw forget the hopper it dosn't have OTA capability:D:D

I have not observed a single one of the issues you describe. I am curious what your temps might be. Oh, and I do believe that the Hopper has had OTA capability for awhile now.

#5 OFFLINE   MaryB@DishNetwork

MaryB@DishNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 359 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:57 PM

Yes, the Hopper has a USB Digital OTA that can be added. I would also not be happy if I had to reboot my reciever as often as you have. Please PM me your account or phone number, bkress. The things you are reporting are not normal and I may need to replace your receiver. Thank you!

Edited by MaryB@DishNetwork, 19 February 2013 - 08:18 PM.
Removed "module" so it would not hyperlink!

Mary Catherine Brady

#6 OFFLINE   AZ.

AZ.

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:49 AM

Yes, the Hopper has a USB OTA module that can be added.

No its not a USB tuner....

Its the dual tuner plug in...

http://www.mydish.co...etup-ota-module

#7 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:23 PM

No its not a USB tuner....

Its the dual tuner plug in...

http://www.mydish.co...etup-ota-module

You are incorrect and MaryB is correct. It is a USB plug in module and it is a single tuner. That link is for the K model VIP and 922s and that is the MT2 module.

http://www.solidsign...ku=753960013176

#8 OFFLINE   AZ.

AZ.

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:45 PM

You are incorrect and MaryB is correct. It is a USB plug in module and it is a single tuner. That link is for the K model VIP and 922s and that is the MT2 module.

http://www.solidsign...ku=753960013176

Realy?....did you see your in the VIP922 forum?

#9 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:25 PM

Realy?....did you see your in the VIP922 forum?

What?? You said MaryB was wrong about the Hopper OTA module and then you linked a picture of the MT2 module from a 922. The Hopper uses a single tuner USB OTA module.

I don't understand what you just said.

#10 OFFLINE   MaryB@DishNetwork

MaryB@DishNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 359 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:15 PM

Yes, the ViP922 and the ViP722k both use the MT2 OTA module which will slide into the back of the receiver and provide two OTA inputs for the receiver. However, bkress was stating he was looking at the 922 because the Hopper did not have an OTA option and I was advising that the Hopper does have a USB Digital OTA Tuner which can be purchased. I was not aware that OTA module would hyperlink to the MT2. Thank you!

Mary Catherine Brady

#11 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 652 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:49 AM

922's are a quirky beast. I've had 2 of them an both have had their share of issues. The issues dont seem to be consistent; anotherwords, they are as different as everyones own human issues. My current 922 has a minor issue w/ setting up timers. didn't have this problem w/ the previous one. Its a minor thing though: Basically if I try to edit a timer using my remote, it appears to save the edit but when the timer actually fires, it reverts back to its original setting. The work around is to edit timers using the sling, it seems to like that much better. Example: I want to record 3 games but the timer pads an hour at the end, I want to edit so the timer finishes earlier than that so that a 3rd timer will fire. If I dont use the sling to edit it, the timer will revert back to its 1 hour pad at the end of said game an the 3rd timer will get skipped. LIke i said, minor issue. It sounds like the issues your having are much more serious and you should look into having it replaced.

http://shad.is.dream...fl/collect.html 1000 AFL games and counting......

#12 ONLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 301 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:37 PM

I have had only a single issue with timers and that was this past week. I set a timer for an OTA big 4 network show and I proceeded to watch a sat channel during that time period. The little red record light came on to indicate that the recording was going as it should and went off when it should have. Then next day when I went to watch the show, it appeared and showed it recorded the entire program 1 hour and 4 minutes, however, when I went to watch the show it had only recorded that last 2 minutes of the program; or at least the last 2 minutes is all that it allowed me to watch.

It has not happen since and I only had to turn to my smart tv to Hulu to watch the program, so it was only a minor problem, but I will be keeping a closer eye on it from this point on.

#13 OFFLINE   ejwhite

ejwhite

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

I also have issues with my 922. I am on my fourth one since August. I have had to do a lot of resets. The last one a tech came out and installed. He put a two prong adapter on the plug. He said that it has helped in some case to eliminate the ground. The reseting is noticablily less, but it still does happen once in awhile, like this morning. A problem that has come up on this unit is on the 2nd tv run off the modular. Every so often when I press the guide or dvr button it will put the small picture up in the corner the lock up and not pull up the guide or recorded shows. The only way out is to reset. I really like the 922, but I wish they would take a couple of their programer off the Hopper detail and have them work on getting the problems of the 922 fixed.
I have concidered the Hopper, but they want more money just to get one and more money for each Joey each month. The Hopper's extra OTA antenna is single tuner add on while the 922 is dual tuner module. Dish, just work out the bugs in the 922 and we will all be happy.

#14 ONLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 301 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:05 PM

I must agree with ajwhite, this receiver could be spectacular if you could just fix the time issues. I have now had 3 in the last 2 days! Each different with the only common thread is that it occurred with OTA.

#15 OFFLINE   Dead922x2

Dead922x2

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:32 PM

/VENT
I, as my username reflects, am going on my third 922. Same problem from both, the dreaded auto-shutdoff - pull power to reboot problem that many here have seen. Once again I have lost all my recorded material. I am not a happy camper.

I tried to start the process to replace (again), via the chat utility, but because I am not sitting in front of the dead unit (I work for a living) I must wait until I return home to repeat what I have already done - while in chat with an adviser hundreds if not thousands of miles away. Really? I described the problem to a "T", repeated the process several times with the exact same result. But you want me to do it while I chat with you? How is unplugging the receiver and replugging it to reboot, waiting 5 minutes for it to shutoff different if you are on the chat window or not?

It seems the 922's I get only last on average 1 yr. My 622's and 722's have served me without fail. I am thinking of cancelling this defective receiver and downgrading to a 722 with a sling adapter? Anyone else using that setup? How about the Hopper with sling? I hate losing programming - I know now I cannot trust this unit.

SIGH....

Vent/

#16 ONLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 301 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:58 PM

My joy has lasted a mere 6 weeks, as my once new unit has began to have problems and almost needs to be reboot once a day. For some reason it likes to have the record lightnon when it is NOT recording anything. It also tells me daily that there is a problem with the modem daily, a reboot fixes that problem for a while. Very recently if I record something OTA both OTA tuners will record the same program so I have two identical recordings of the same show. A few times it has shown that it recorded a show, yet it may have only recorded the first or last couple of minutes of the program. Now this week it will just freeze while watching a recording and once again will need to be rebooted and once froze while watching a non recorded show. I sure miss my old trusty 722k!

#17 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 652 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:59 AM

it would seem using an external harddrive is really a no brainer with this unit. im gonna hook mine up to it this week. woildnt want to lose any of my recordings like i did last yr.

http://shad.is.dream...fl/collect.html 1000 AFL games and counting......

#18 ONLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 301 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:47 AM

Well, when the unit works as it should it is a nice receiver, but it does have a temper and mine is in need of a spanking! 

#19 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,745 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:57 PM

don't hesitate spank yourself as the originator of an idea to get the box :D (each time when it shows you who is the daddy)

#20 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:02 AM

Make sure your problems are not heat related by going into Counters and keeping an eye on your temperature levels.I know when I got my first VIP922 I had it in my entertainment center's cubby hole.I started having all kinds of issues,when I checked my Counters it showed I was getting a high temperature of 138 degrees.I moved my 922 on top of my entertainment center and that really made a difference, the temperature levels dropped and so did my problems.I also found out by running my 922 without the MT2 Module it ran about 5 degrees cooler,so with it,it definitely will run warmer with the MT2. Good Luck! :)

Edited by Jhon69, 05 May 2013 - 10:03 AM.

spam firewall