Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Observations of 922

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:10 AM

all the DVRs include 622... and the 922 flawed in HW design; they has inadequate cooling fan, its modes or rotation, bad airflow ... :(

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 326 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:03 PM

Make sure your problems are not heat related by going into Counters and keeping an eye on your temperature levels.I know when I got my first VIP922 I had it in my entertainment center's cubby hole.I started having all kinds of issues,when I checked my Counters it showed I was getting a high temperature of 138 degrees.I moved my 922 on top of my entertainment center and that really made a difference, the temperature levels dropped and so did my problems.I also found out by running my 922 without the MT2 Module it ran about 5 degrees cooler,so with it,it definitely will run warmer with the MT2. Good Luck! :)

I have two cooling fans made specifically for VIP receivers that I picked up on ebay that I have used on all the 922s and the 722s before it. Currently, my high temp is only 109 and my low is 89, I do not feel that heat is my problem, but I fully believe that heat can be a problem with this model. I think that the software has never been fully bug free and will never be, as this unit was abandoned before it was bug free in favor of the Hopper series. 

Unfortunately, not everyone is in need of a Hopper/Joey setup. I simply wanted a single unit that could control my small bedroom set for watching the nightly news or one of the late shows from bed without the cost of $7 or more. I began life with two 722s and when the price for the second one skyrocketed to $17, I bailed on having two HD receivers and watch OTA in the bedroom, but for CNN, FOX News and such I really do not care if it is in glorious HD. 

Besides, I run the receiver in shared mode and I get the program in full screen with no bars on the top or bottom. I believe Dish would like everyone to jump over to the Hopper, but at this point I would just cut the cord before I am forced into another 2-year contract.

Edited by Rduce, 05 May 2013 - 07:05 PM.

#23 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,638 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:59 AM

All the outputs on the back are active,so if you wanted to get HD in the bedroom you can,you just need a HDMI or Component cables with audio cables long enough to reach the bedroom.

The only way I know of to not have a 24 month commitment is to buy the receiver and the prices at dish depot are very reasonable.If anyone decides to buy their receiver and does not know how to install it,just make sure you have the DISH Service Protection Plan on your account and DISH will do it for $15.

It is also a good idea when you own your receiver to remember if anything goes wrong with your receiver you will need to have the DISH Service Protection Plan on your account to replace an "owned" receiver with another "owned" receiver,otherwise if you don't and DISH replaces the receiver,it will then be a  "leased"receiver.

Edited by Jhon69, 06 May 2013 - 01:11 AM.

#24 OFFLINE   Lemony Snicket

Lemony Snicket

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:36 PM

Be sure and add a back up hard drive. I am going through 922's way too fast. I have experienced nearly every issue that I have read about on this forum and they all have come to an end with the hard drive failing and me loosing all of my recorded shows. I need the two tuner over the air set up so I am stuck with the 922.  I am not a happy Dish customer to say the least. Thank god I did not purchase this machine outright or I would be totally screwed. This is a brilliant machine when it works properly but it has not lasted very long for me. 

#25 OFFLINE   Grippy

Grippy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 35 posts
  • Locationda UP

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:22 AM

I am glad that you are enjoying the 922. I have two of these receivers in my home and I do love them. I love the GUI and I am addicted to the sling! Thank you for sharing!

The GUI is old, outdated and lacks features.

What goes here?

#26 OFFLINE   bgibb1123

bgibb1123

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 02:32 PM

bkress...

You are not alone! Not only does my 922 have the same exact problems, I'm on number 5 or 6 - replacement 922, with ea one having the same problems you described. My latest replacement 922 was delivered just last week, and it only took a day to show a blank screen when tv was turned on. Only way to get to guide was to start the one dvr program I recorded as a test the day before. Common sense tells me there is a batch of 922's that were programed WRONG! And those ones are being sent out to loyal DISH customers as functioning 922's.

• Rduce likes this

#27 OFFLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 326 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:41 AM

bkress...

You are not alone! Not only does my 922 have the same exact problems, I'm on number 5 or 6 - replacement 922, with ea one having the same problems you described. My latest replacement 922 was delivered just last week, and it only took a day to show a blank screen when tv was turned on. Only way to get to guide was to start the one dvr program I recorded as a test the day before. Common sense tells me there is a batch of 922's that were programed WRONG! And those ones are being sent out to loyal DISH customers as functioning 922's.

I am currently on my fifth 922, the longest one lasted was a little over 6 months, the other's were down and out within two weeks. Incidentally, my latest replacement is now two weeks old and it is beginning to act up as well. I am really disappointed with them, but when they work I really like them!

#28 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 402 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:25 PM

Upgrade to a Hopper/Joey system. Its far superior to the older Dish DVRs'.

#29 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:52 AM

there is whole forum dedicated to H/H2/J

if you could start reading there, you would become an expert

also look at www.dishuser.org/hopper.php

#30 OFFLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 326 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:25 PM

Upgrade to a Hopper/Joey system. Its far superior to the older Dish DVRs'.

Such a system also costs considerably more than the $55 per month I am currently paying for the 922 which controls my HD television in my family room and my small bedroom set that really matters little that it is only SD. I would drop back to a 722K that I have in the closet, before investing in another two year commitment. 

#31 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,915 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:53 PM

I am on my second 922...  I lost track of how long my first one lasted.  I haven't had nearly the troubles that some have had... though I did lose one that one time and trashed a bunch of recordings... still, in the scheme of things, something to be expected eventually.

• Rduce likes this

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#32 OFFLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 326 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:00 PM

My month old replacement went nuts, froze up on a black screen while I was watching a recorded program. Had to do a power plug reboot to get it back, as the front panel red button did not want to restart the system. Once it rebooted it did not show any recordings on the my recordings screen, even though it showed that the unit had a 4% full hard drive. Contacted tech support via online chat and stated it needs to be replaced, which will make for number 6 since February. Love the unit when it works, but will not upgrade to a Hopper no matter what anyone says. Do not want the added expense, so as long as Dish keeps replacing these, I will keep sending back the broken one!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...