Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Girls

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Registered
  • 366 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:14 PM

Saw that HBO decided to air the new episode of Girls on Saturday (2/2) at 10:05pm, instead of airing the episode on it's regular night, on Sunday.

Maybe it was because of the Super Bowl?

Also, there was no new Shameless and etc last night on Showtime either.

Maybe because it's parent station CBS had the game and was airing an new episode of Elementary right after the game?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,406 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

HBO aired Saturday this week's new episodes of its entire Sunday lineup (in our recording schedule that included "Enlightened"), I guess so we wouldn't miss discussing them Monday at the water cooler or something.

Showtime did what the broadcast networks did.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#3 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:47 PM

I have it recorded. I hope it's better than last week where it seemed like show auteur Lena Dunham had begun to hog all the screen time for her character, much to the deterioration of the overall show. I really like the idea of the show, it just needs better balance between the various characters. And less nude scenes with Dunham. Way less. But Adam rocks--he needs a spinoff show of his own!

#4 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 366 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:14 PM

I almost gave up on the first season, but it started to grow on me. It's a clever show. Way better than New Girl on Fox, but you can't really compare the two because New Girl is almost like bathroom humor.

#5 OFFLINE   Number Six

Number Six

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:39 PM

I have it recorded. I hope it's better than last week where it seemed like show auteur Lena Dunham had begun to hog all the screen time for her character, much to the deterioration of the overall show. I really like the idea of the show, it just needs better balance between the various characters. And less nude scenes with Dunham. Way less. But Adam rocks--he needs a spinoff show of his own!

I thought last week's coke trip was a really fun episode ... WAY better than this week's talky dinner party with too much of the minor characters.

#6 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 366 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:01 AM

The coke trip was better than the dinner party.

#7 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,935 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:24 AM

I thought last week's coke trip was a really fun episode ... WAY better than this week's talky dinner party with too much of the minor characters.

Crap,
I was afraid I was getting too close to my feminine side watching this show.
Now I am sure of it.
Jazz hands!!

#8 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:43 AM

Ok, you guys have me stoked on this week. W/watch tomorrow night.

#9 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,568 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:08 PM

I like Lena Dunham and am rooting for her. It looks like she needs no help from me, this is a bonafide success.

But also a colossal bore. I do not want to see her naked; I do not want to see her taken advantage of by other people. I think her personality is grating, I think her cluelessness is annoying, and a little of her goes a long way. I guess that I like her and also find her annoying and grating seems to be in conflict, but I liked my annoying and clueless Irish Setter back in the day, too (what an exasperating experience that was).

And yes, I get that her character having a warped view of the world is sharp social commentary; the show succeeds in that regard, but seems to want to hit the viewer over the head with that. We get it. But it's not enough.

I got through 3 eps last season, and then admittedly FFWDed through the others I had recorded on the off chance that they might have persuaded Allison Williams to doff her top (sure, that's base and low...sue me) but that was all I could take.

The clueless character is a stale, old staple. Larry David pulls it off, Julia Louis-Dreyfuss pulls it off in every show she's been in (somewhat coincidental that all 3 found success on HBO), and Lena Dunham pulls it off to a degree, but not all that likably, and it should not be the single tentpole holding this show up from collapsing.

I really do not care if the show has a lot of success or not, but if it does and they use that audience as a lead-in for Veep, a much better show with much-more-clever social commentary enacted by a much-more-talented cast armed with a much-better-written script, that would be something I could care about.

Looks like she has a big future. Probably not as an actor, but maybe in every other aspect of the business.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#10 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:14 PM

Other than here, and some entertainment news about how great this show is, I've never run across anyone that will admit to watching it.

I found it boring and quit watching pretty quick.

But then I'm an old fart and doubt I'm the target market! :)

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#11 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,568 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:10 PM

Other than here, and some entertainment news about how great this show is, I've never run across anyone that will admit to watching it.

I found it boring and quit watching pretty quick.

But then I'm an old fart and doubt I'm the target market! :)

Interesting. I guess it could be considered that you might not be a true red-blooded hetero if you admit to watching it. That's just sad.

But I can relate; friends used to give me grief for thinking Gilmore Girls was one of the best shows on television (OK, I admit I did start watching that because I have a giant crush on Lauren Graham, who is beautiful but strangely asexual, so maybe I do watch for eye candy. Again, sue me...I'm human; she's not enough for me to struggle through Parenthood, which blows).

I recently saw the dozen-year-old pilot of GG begin while doing housework (again with the hetero!) and within 5 minutes I stopped and sat down and had to watch it all the way through. It is amazing how much better that show was than most of what is on today, and how well it holds up.

I'm not sure Girls has a "target market". The target is any pair of eyeballs who will put up with it and can fill out a ratings book. Not me, not you, incidentally. She considers it art. Lena is writing this from what she knows and what she thinks is good, and I doubt it was strategicaly crafted to fit some magic demo. My sneaking suspicion is that the audience is more male than female, or at least was at first, which might flip now that it has such wide positive buzz.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#12 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:07 PM

I can appreciate that a good part of what drives the show's mojo is the contention that you can put a hideous female body on screen and it can still be desirable and acceptable, which is all well and good for girls' and women's positive body concept. This is a legitimate issue, and a very interesting matter of discussion. I mean, the show kind of crams this down our throats via Adam's curious obsession with the zaftig Ms. Dunham. This is the one aspect of the show I find utterly non-credible.

But for the show to raise the issue is pretty brave. "You, girlfriend, are beautiful just the way you are!" Thank god for Fast Forward.

Edited by Maruuk, 05 February 2013 - 05:15 PM.

#13 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:14 PM

I tend to weird shows more than anything else. Gruesome is good, a little blood flying around is certainly appreciated and a really good monster never hurts.

And I like quirky shows and well done stupid comedy!

Well, and nightime soaps like Grey's Anatomy, Revenge and Scandal.

Girls isn't in any of those genres.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#14 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:18 PM

Girls is kind of quirky, but after watching S1 and a number of S2 eps I'm still struggling to give a flying puck about any of the characters, with the possible exception of Adam.

#15 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:08 PM

Out of curiosity after reading this thread I watched the first half of season 2 episode 1 on dishanywhere.

I agree with the other comments about Ms. Dunham needing to keep her clothes on. Beyond that, the show does not appeal to this older gentleman. :)

#16 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:53 PM

It's been coasting on its freshness and frankness and "Girls' POV" status, but bottom line, Dunham can't write her way out of a Kotex box.

#17 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:16 PM

It's been coasting on its freshness and frankness and "Girls' POV" status, but bottom line, Dunham can't write her way out of a Kotex box.

You say this despite all the evidence to the contrary.
DTV = Digital Television

#18 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:43 PM

Uh-oh, did I miss an ep where she did that literally??

#19 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:56 AM

Finally saw cokefest ep, not too bad, and we got to see more of the hot one, too. Hmmm...

#20 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:44 AM

Caught up with latest, it's on the comeback trail. More of yummy Marney is helping quite a lot. That English beach is such a depressing drag, though. Ack.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...