Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Will Directv benefit from Dish price increase?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ken100

ken100

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:02 PM

Since Dish is having bigger price increases overall will Directv see more subs from Dish bolt to their service as a result? AT 200 was $4 cheaper than Choice and now it's the same price. Sure their are a few channels like CBS Sports, Fox Business Channel and WGN missing from choice and 60 audio channels and many foreign language channels as well, but they are pretty much on par and Dtv probably has more hi-def in Choice. Plus Sunday Ticket is only $199 now which makes it more affordable to many. Sure Dish didn't have a price increase last year, but have had more increases since 2011 in terms of dollars than Directv. And with Directv set to send 2 more satellites up in 2014 it can only mean more hi-def and 3-d choices and I'm sure more channels as well.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:18 PM

Far more people choose DirecTV over Dish Network already. So, this will just lead to more of the same.
DTV = Digital Television

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,262 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:50 PM

Far more people choose DirecTV over Dish Network already. So, this will just lead to more of the same.

More to the OP's point, pricing is obviously not the big driver in which service someone subscribes to given the almost $19 disparity in Average Revenue Per Unit (account).

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   HGuardian

HGuardian

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:52 PM

If anything both provider's increases will just increase the rate of cord-cutters. I'd cut down to the Entertainment package but probably keep DIRECTV if I wasn't a sports fan.

#5 OFFLINE   ken100

ken100

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:24 PM

Back in 96 when I first signed with Dish price was a big factor for me. They were new and much cheaper than Directv and way cheaper than cable. I think it was $20 a month for AT40 which was at least $10 a month cheaper than Directv at the time. I had just paid a grand for a Directv system in January of 96, but had problems with pixelation and freezing so I sent the unit back (bought it out of the Spiegel catalog). Got Dish from a local Sat. dealer in April of 96 for $600, so the programming was cheaper and so was the equipment. But, I do believe most people that sign with Directv over Dish do so for several reasons either real or percieved. More sports, Hi-Def, better customer service, Sunday Ticket, better interface (guide, menu system), better technology (quicker to add new technology etc). People who sign up with Dish are more concerned with cost, so I think the huge cost increases they are experiencing will more negatively effect Dish than the nominal increases Directv is experincing. Directv subs are the type that are willing to pay a little more for some of the features mentioned above. I believe at years end Directv will have a small gain in customer growth and Dish will have a small decrease. And the cable companies, well more of the same......more big losses.

#6 OFFLINE   bigwilly087

bigwilly087

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:56 AM

Back in 96 when I first signed with Dish price was a big factor for me. They were new and much cheaper than Directv and way cheaper than cable. I think it was $20 a month for AT40 which was at least $10 a month cheaper than Directv at the time. I had just paid a grand for a Directv system in January of 96, but had problems with pixelation and freezing so I sent the unit back (bought it out of the Spiegel catalog). Got Dish from a local Sat. dealer in April of 96 for $600, so the programming was cheaper and so was the equipment. But, I do believe most people that sign with Directv over Dish do so for several reasons either real or percieved. More sports, Hi-Def, better customer service, Sunday Ticket, better interface (guide, menu system), better technology (quicker to add new technology etc). People who sign up with Dish are more concerned with cost, so I think the huge cost increases they are experiencing will more negatively effect Dish than the nominal increases Directv is experincing. Directv subs are the type that are willing to pay a little more for some of the features mentioned above. I believe at years end Directv will have a small gain in customer growth and Dish will have a small decrease. And the cable companies, well more of the same......more big losses.

Not quite as true anymore with Dish adding the Hopper and the new slingbox service integrated into their HD DVR. These are features Directv doesn't have, but i'm really hoping they get a slingbox type box soon, the hopper doesn't interest me too much

#7 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:14 AM

DirecTV watches Dish's prices like a hawk. Last time I checked, Dish was about $6 a month cheaper than DTV and it will probably always stay that way.

#8 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:24 AM

With the recent Dish increases, and the scheduled increases at Direct, the cost differential between the two services is reduced to practically zilch. Of course that does depend on which packages/services/equipment that is being compared.

My current sub with Dish will be about the same as it would be with Direct for the same level of programming and equipment when my new/returning customer rebates expire.

What that tells me that because the rates for both are on a continuing rise and people are getting a bit frustrated watching everything they buy go up but their wages remain relatively stagnant, that we will see more switchers. And from a purely financial sense, switching is the way to go.

You can argue the channels and tech all you want, but for the average cable/sat subscriber all of that means little. They turn on the TV and watch it. Of course, here and other places, we discuss all the nuances of who's better and why in fine detail.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#9 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:42 AM

I pay for 300 channels but really watch only 40 of them. I am probably typical. that is the problem.

#10 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:47 AM

I pay for 300 channels but really watch only 40 of them. I am probably typical. that is the problem.

I'm about the same. I'm subscribed to all but the Sports Pack and have way more channels than I'll ever watch. Trouble is, we may be watching a different set of 40 channels. That's the rub! :)

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#11 OFFLINE   ken100

ken100

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:33 PM

There's no more $6 difference anymore, not with Dish going up $5 and Directv going up $1 (top 200 vs choice) that $4 difference is now even. Directv has the Nomad. Similar to the Sling?

#12 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,903 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:39 PM

Directv has the Nomad. Similar to the Sling?

Yes and no. Nomad does not stream live TV channels like Sling does, it has to be something that's been recorded on a HD DVR and then transcoded onto the nomad hardware. Once it's on nomad it can be either downloaded to a supported device for viewing offline or streamed to the device if you're on your home network. Sling doesn't care what network you're on, home or away but unless you have the new Dish Hopper with Sling you can't copy a recording to an iPad, only online viewing.

Another difference is that nomad will work with all DIRECTV HD DVR's and you can install the client on up to five devices and copy a recording to any of them at the same time. Dish Hopper with Sling AFAIK only allows one copy of a recording out at a time, and if it's a DRM recording, like something from HBO, you can't watch it on the Hopper until it's 'returned' to the Hopper from the iPad.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#13 OFFLINE   StephenJC

StephenJC

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:44 PM

With dish you get your RSN for $59.99 with 120+ . With DirecTv l, in some markets, like Cleveland, you have to have Xtra, at $70.99 to get all of your RSNs.

#14 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 927 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:28 PM

With dish you get your RSN for $59.99 with 120+ . With DirecTv l, in some markets, like Cleveland, you have to have Xtra, at $70.99 to get all of your RSNs.

Unless you live in the NYC dma, then you don't get any rsn no matter how much you spend.

#15 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:45 PM

Not quite as true anymore with Dish adding the Hopper and the new slingbox service integrated into their HD DVR. These are features Directv doesn't have, but i'm really hoping they get a slingbox type box soon, the hopper doesn't interest me too much

I don't think D* will offer anything like the slingbox. With their everywhere service, they are trying to make more networks available outside the home through wireless networking with a device consumers already own(ie smart phones and tablets). If they can get the content owners to allow this streaming, sling ideas may not survive much longer.
My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#16 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,262 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:24 AM

If they can get the content owners to allow this streaming, sling ideas may not survive much longer.

There are a few cases where DIRECTV's current approach doesn't appear to get them where customers want to go:

1. Event programming
  • Sports
  • Live concerts
  • anything else that has limited appeal after being shown for the first time
2. Locally derived programming
3. When something cycles off the schedule, it is gone.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#17 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:50 PM

The one thing that surprised me about the new print ad from DirecTV that came with my weekly coupon circular shows NO PACKAGE DISCOUNTS! Instead, it only states that "packages start at $29.95 (Family)". Then, when you go to the DirecTV web page "family" is never mentioned!

Meanwhile, the DISH ad still has their deep package discounts for the first year including their cheapest package at $19.95.

Of course, you have to purchase a magnifying glass and spend an entire afternoon to figure out exactly what either service is going to cost you. :nono2:

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#18 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,262 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:33 PM

The one thing that surprised me about the new print ad from DirecTV that came with my weekly coupon circular shows NO PACKAGE DISCOUNTS! Instead, it only states that "packages start at $29.95 (Family)". Then, when you go to the DirecTV web page "family" is never mentioned!

The circulars that I've been getting this year are specifically advertising the heavily discounted (from $54.95) Entertainment package.

I suspect that the Family package may have been moved to the "double extra secret" retention category.

#19 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,732 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:01 PM

Since Dish is having bigger price increases overall will Directv see more subs from Dish bolt to their service as a result? .

I just got hit with a $12 price increase with Directv, So I don't think anything changed.

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / HD Xtra / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#20 ONLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,351 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:07 PM

What I think is that a few Dish subscribers would switch if they don't get credits or enough credits from loyalty department, as Directv subscribers don't get credit also from retention, and even if they do it all depends how much they value you as a customer, it could be $10 a month or less or more it all depends in your bill payment history,years of service and how much credits prior have you received, And then there's the ones that like getting new customer discounts every two years. So as people say that you get better discounts from Directv than Dish, it all depends how much credits and discounts have you gotten over the years or months.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

spam firewall