Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Will Directv benefit from Dish price increase?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   ken100

ken100

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:17 AM

i had never gotten a discount with dish before and they were willing to only give me $60 in discounts and i had auto pay so i always payed on time. a friend of ours who had never gotten a discount with direct before and recieved their first got 4 times that.......so you decide.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   netraa

netraa

Godfather

• Registered
  • 483 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:13 PM

One other major difference between Dish and Direct is that with a simple swing of a gavel, 2 major features that Dish is using right now could be removed.

Directv does everything in their power to stay out of courtrooms, and dish seems to do everything they can to get into them.

#23 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,351 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:33 PM

Noting ventured, nothing gained.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#24 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:36 PM

Noting ventured, nothing gained.

While Dish continues to lag far behind with a history of desperate and foolish gambles.
DTV = Digital Television

#25 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,771 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:16 AM

One other major difference between Dish and Direct is that with a simple swing of a gavel, 2 major features that Dish is using right now could be removed.

Directv does everything in their power to stay out of courtrooms, and dish seems to do everything they can to get into them.

It has generally worked out for Dish, having won more that they have lost. Dish has always used their legal department as a profit center. Makes life as Dish subscriber "interesting" at times, but it works for the shareholders.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#26 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:58 AM

While Dish continues to lag far behind with a history of desperate and foolish gambles.

*sqawk* polly wanna cracker?

Dish isn't far behind in anything that matters. Plenty of shows to watch, great equipment and pricing that is nearly identical to Direct.

2 sides of the same coin for the most part.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#27 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:03 AM

Dish isn't far behind in anything that matters.

Spin, spin, spin...
DTV = Digital Television

#28 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,351 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:11 AM

Rather than joy-joy rhetoric and summary dismissals, do you have any meaningful (to the general populace) examples to support your statement?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#29 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:29 AM

Spin, spin, spin...

Yes, you do a very good job of that, thanks for admitting it finally! :)

Of course you can publish your unspecified testing with unspecified Dish equipment at an unspecified point in time, all done by a person that has shown no expertise in doing all of that.

And of course, no history of ever actually having used Dish equipment at any time other than that unspecified testing.

On the other side you have me. I claim no expertise in the field, but I have had both services at different times. Both love/hate each of them, miss some things I had with D* now that I'm with E*, but then I missed some things with E* when I was with D*.

The single consistency that has always been the case is that E* equipment runs circles around the D* equipment. It is hard to go a day here without someone complaining about the speed of D* HRs. I can find no evidence of a single issue with E* that has such traction.

But yet, I'm the one spinning, right? :)

Lloyd

#30 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:44 AM

Rather than joy-joy rhetoric and summary dismissals, do you have any meaningful (to the general populace) examples to support your statement?

Very high rate of customer preference for DirecTV over Dish
HD channel count is significantly higher for DirecTV
HD picture quality is clearly superior with DirecTV
Ethical business practices with DirecTV, not so much with Dish
Retrans deal competency obviously greater on the DirecTV side
DTV = Digital Television

#31 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,351 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:59 PM

Very high rate of customer preference for DirecTV over Dish

So somehow the fact that DIRECTV has more customers is directly related to preference for the DIRECTV "Experience" and not some other factor? How many would drop DIRECTV in a heartbeat if they lost access (or never get access) to an important RSN that somebody else carries? How many DIRECTV subscribers don't have any idea that there may be an alternative?

DIRECTV's ETF was only recently matched by DISH and that goes a long way towards retention and keeping the ranks in line.

HD channel count is significantly higher for DirecTV

This requires supporting documentation along with a thoughtful interpretation of why there isn't total agreement on the subject.

For me, it comes down to quality of content and how much fresh content is involved. Having a channel that brings only a few hours of new content a month is arguably not as valuable as one that offers more or, in the case of some of the MTV channels, a schedule dominated by SD programming (Centric is awful on this count).

Adding another Showtime or another Cinemax brings fewer addtional movies than a DIRECTV Cinema channel whereas adding something like MAV TV or Outdoor HD brings a whole host of programming that doesn't show up on half a dozen other channels within a few weeks.

HD picture quality is clearly superior with DirecTV

This doesn't stand without interpretation either. Most who have auditioned both say that DIRECTV is sometimes perceptibly better and occasionally worse. Neither suggests a clear advantage.

Ethical business practices with DirecTV, not so much with Dish

When it comes to treatment of customers, DIRECTV has quite a few lawsuits going at any one time and more than a few instances of mis-billing and the ever-popular billing for non-return after they've received the equipment. Directv "surpassed" DISH by 109% in BBB complaints about their business practices in a survey released in August 2010.

Retrans deal competency obviously greater on the DirecTV side

Coming to a hasty agreement and coming to the best possible value are different goals. DISH filed suit against ESPN today for not giving them the same deal DIRECTV and others are getting. This isn't an ethical failing; it is a fiduciary responsibility.

#32 OFFLINE   ken100

ken100

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:57 PM

Directv has a more high end feel to it's menu and guide interface. and they have a more genorous retention department. nfl sunday ticket only $199. more hd, more sports, and i just had dish less than 2 months ago I think directv has a crisper or sharper picture quality.

#33 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,771 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:53 AM

Personally, I think that any "advantage" one service holds over another is based upon a number of factors, but most important of these is content.

If you are a sports fan, especially a fan of a professional football team outside of your market, DirecTV is the obvious choice. Generally speaking, DirecTV carries more sports, and more sports in HD, than does Dish. However, if your priority is movie channels and general interest HD channels, then Dish Network is a better choice.

For most people, either service will likely meet most, if not all, of their needs. In these cases, which system they choose to get and keep will depend on other factors. Things like personal recommendations from friends and relatives.

If you have a large number of televisions to support, DirecTV's infrastructure is slightly more flexible but, again, most people will do well with either. Generally, hardware advantages tend to shift back and forth. DirecTV has, at various times, held an advantage with things like the first dual tuner DVR, support for the Tivo software, MRV implementation, etc. At other times Dish Network has held the advantage with the first DVR, or faster receivers, and commercial skipping, etc. How these factors influence buyers will naturally vary as well.

DirecTV has held a pure numbers advantage for the entire existence of both companies, due at least in part to having had a head start in the marketplace. Both services have grown tremendously over the past 15 years.

No doubt, they are different services in many ways. But different does not mean better or worse. Some people prefer DirecTV and would never think of switching. Others prefer Dish network and are totally commited to their choice. A sizable number of subscribers are not nearly so committed and will switch if they think it is in their best interests.

Rather than argue over why one is "better" we should celebrate the fact the market can support two satellite services that compete with each other for our business. That is nothing but good news for the quality of service, the innovations developed, and overall satisfaction of the consumer.

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

#34 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 939 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:58 PM

Well jeez Diana, if you are going to be all reasonable and everything....:)

#35 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:37 PM

Dish DirecTV back and forth if 5 dollars or what ever it is makes you change then you might want to go back to the bunny ears.

#36 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:04 PM

I doubt many change over $5, but some like me switch and save from $400 to $600 in the switch depending on the deal being offered at the time. Some like me watch some sports and plenty of scripted shows and movies don't find all that much difference between the two services. And with recent price increases, both services are nearly the same cost after the deals expire.

Lloyd

#37 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:06 PM

I got a few more DirecTV circulars and sure enough the package discounts for the first year for new customers are back. They are calling their current promotion the "dream deal". With all their new charges and price increases it seems more like a nightmare to me.

DISH meanwhile, has magically stopped pushing "free HD for life" but pushes their worthless $19.95 package which does not get you a "free" Hopper.

One thing I have to say about DirecTV, if you get out a magnifying glass (literally) and read the fine print at the bottom of their ad they give you all the actual prices and terms of their offer. DISH on the other hand does not but peppers the ad with little lines like "additional fees apply" or "restrictions apply". That would make me suspicious right up front.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#38 OFFLINE   ken100

ken100

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:16 PM

more movie channels on dish??? directv has more premium movie channels!

#39 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,771 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:54 AM

more movie channels on dish??? directv has more premium movie channels!

Perhaps (I haven't counted them lately, but I'll take your word for it), however Dish has Epix and DirecTV does not. Whatever you think of Epix (and that topic has been beaten to death elsewhere) it DOES carry a different slate of movies than HBO/Cinemax/Starz/Encore/Showtime/TMC. So, it can be argued that you can see more different MOVIES (not channels) on Dish.

All of which is exactly my point...different does not mean better (nor does it mean worse).

Current setup:

#40 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:14 AM

Perhaps (I haven't counted them lately, but I'll take your word for it), however Dish has Epix and DirecTV does not. Whatever you think of Epix (and that topic has been beaten to death elsewhere) it DOES carry a different slate of movies than HBO/Cinemax/Starz/Encore/Showtime/TMC. So, it can be argued that you can see more different MOVIES (not channels) on Dish.

All of which is exactly my point...different does not mean better (nor does it mean worse).

Most maybe not all of us DirecTV people got it because of sports. How much is epic worth to a person. And would someone please tell me what movies are on it that I can't get.

spam firewall