Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

BBC America not recording?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   norwestie

norwestie

• Registered
  • 21 posts
  • LocationWest Linn, OR

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:42 PM

I've set Top Gear (the good one, not USA) to record all new shows on my Genie and my wife has set Ripper Street on her HR22 for new shows. Neither show records. They don't show up as set to record, either the earliest or subsequent showings. We have to manually set each to record and then it will record properly.
Is anyone else having the same problems? Is there a fix?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 564 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:02 AM

I've set Top Gear (the good one, not USA) to record all new shows on my Genie and my wife has set Ripper Street on her HR22 for new shows. Neither show records. They don't show up as set to record, either the earliest or subsequent showings. We have to manually set each to record and then it will record properly.

I think this is a matter of the guide using the original air date in England as the first showed date, so these series show up as repeats, even the first showing on BBCA. Go into series manager and change from "First Run" to "Both" unde repisode type and your problem should be solved.

#3 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,761 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:43 AM

I think this is a matter of the guide using the original air date in England as the first showed date, so these series show up as repeats, even the first showing on BBCA. Go into series manager and change from "First Run" to "Both" unde repisode type and your problem should be solved.

I saw the same thing with Top Gear tonight. It's the "first airing" date that's causing it. Changing from first airing to repeats/both will "solve" this, but also fill up all the old shows too.
Tonight I "solved this", by setting up a manual recording for the time of Top Gear. As long as BBCA doesn't change the time they show Top Gear, it should record the new season.
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,911 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:00 AM

Too bad we can't use a Boolean, using aabout or something, to limit it to things that have an OAD of 2013.

#5 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Registered
  • 370 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:05 AM

I saw the same thing with Top Gear tonight. It's the "first airing" date that's causing it. Changing from first airing to repeats/both will "solve" this, but also fill up all the old shows too.
Tonight I "solved this", by setting up a manual recording for the time of Top Gear. As long as BBCA doesn't change the time they show Top Gear, it should record the new season.

When you setup a manual recording for Top Gear, for 1hr 20min at 6pm, will it record that time slot no matter if its Top Gear or not? Also, how does manual recording knows if its an new episode or not?

#6 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:08 AM

When you setup a manual recording for Top Gear, for 1hr 20min at 6pm, will it record that time slot no matter if its Top Gear or not? Also, how does manual recording knows if its an new episode or not?

The manual recording does not know if it is a new episode or if it is even Top Gear. The manual recording just records the day and time for which you set the recording. Since the first (US) runs of Top Gear are usually broadcast at the same time on the same day, then the manual recording will usually be correct.

#7 OFFLINE   Dan B

Dan B

Legend

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:02 PM

Yeah, I recently realized that I missed a year of Top Gear because of this.

#8 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:07 AM

I think this is a matter of the guide using the original air date in England as the first showed date

Bingo! It uses the Original Air Date, not "Original U.S. Air Date". Some shows, like Doctor Who, that date is the same but for most on BBCA, or Canadian shows on Syfy the dates differ so you have to set your Series Link to get "Both" or even just "Repeats".
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#9 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:40 AM

You can't set a weekly timer? That's how I solve the same problem at Dish.

#10 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,761 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:06 AM

You can't set a weekly timer? That's how I solve the same problem at Dish.

Setting up a manual recording is the same as your "weekly timer". ;)
A.K.A VOS

#11 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,911 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:57 AM

We only have one more episode left, then off until Summer.

#12 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:58 AM

Setting up a manual recording is the same as your "weekly timer". ;)

No it isn't. The weekly timer for Top Gear is set by specifying "weekly" in the timer options and it will only record if Top Gear appears in the guide that day/time, and will also adjust for differences in length that appear in the guide for that day. The timer options are New, All, Daily, M-F, and Weekly. Daily, M-F, and Weekly also prevent cluttering the event limit with skipped episodes.

#13 OFFLINE   duncanator

duncanator

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:54 PM

For what it's worth, I just cancelled TV service through Surewest this week and their guide had the same problem with the date of new episodes of Top Gear. I had it set up to record new episodes but the date was always a week off there as well. It must be the service/company providing the guide information because it the same issue as described here but with a different provider.

#14 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:47 AM

For what it's worth, I just cancelled TV service through Surewest this week and their guide had the same problem with the date of new episodes of Top Gear. I had it set up to record new episodes but the date was always a week off there as well. It must be the service/company providing the guide information because it the same issue as described here but with a different provider.

It's not a "problem" with the guide data at all. The guide data is 100% correct. It's showing the Original Air Date. Since the shows originate in the UK they carry that Original Air Date.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#15 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:54 AM

Not everything in the world revolves around the US and its tv schedule. These are all shows that air earlier in another country. The guide data is correct.

#16 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,575 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:17 AM

One way to solve this issue would be to have an editor at Tribune Media (or some other objective third-party) set a US "first run" flag that overrides the country of origin's OAD.

You can't trust the networks to do this themselves, because they'll just flag everything as "first run", to make shows more attractive to advertisers.
/steve

#17 OFFLINE   Ken Stomski

Ken Stomski

Mentor

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:30 AM

"True Justice" on the REELZ channel is another example. "new" eppies are all from 2012.

#18 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:30 PM

"True Justice" on the REELZ channel is another example. "new" eppies are all from 2012.

Because it originally airs in Canada.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#19 OFFLINE   Ken Stomski

Ken Stomski

Mentor

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:26 PM

exactly!

#20 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Registered
  • 370 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:47 PM

I think, this season of Top Gear is almost over.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...