Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

BBC America not recording?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:44 AM

I know that, but what you're not conceding is that this is one of those issues where you can be correct in theory but not in practice. IMO, PBS "gets it", as you can see by my screen grabs.

You cannot call something a "first run" that is not a "first run". Doing so is like saying black is white.

I've said this before, and you chose to ignore it, if it were called "First Run America" or "First Run US" then you'd have a point. It is not called that though.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:50 AM

DirecTV is an American TV service, and this is the first time the show is aired on an American TV channel. I don't think it's too big of a stretch to think that it should be considered a first run episode.

That said, I'm not sure it is DirecTV's fault. It could very well be a Tribune issue since they do the guide data.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#43 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:59 AM

DirecTV is an American TV service, and this is the first time the show is aired on an American TV channel. I don't think it's too big of a stretch to think that it should be considered a first run episode.

Doing so is arrogant and shows disrespect for the country of origin.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#44 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:26 AM

"I guess" everyone has their opinion/view of this.
Why shouldn't "our DVRs" get the data that records a show the first time it's available?
CBS was able to do this with Flashpoint in the beginning.
DirecTV has been able to do this on the Audience channel.
A.K.A VOS

#45 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,464 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:38 AM

Doing so is arrogant and shows disrespect for the country of origin.

A television listings data provider in the U.S. changes its internal definition of "original air date" such that it reports "first American air date" instead of "first worldwide air date"? That hardly rises to the level of arrogance and disrespect to an entire nation.

That's like saying me changing the "release year" for songs I've downloaded from iTunes is equivalent to slapping every Apple employee in the face.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#46 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Registered
  • 368 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:38 AM

Was Downton Abbey marked as first run on PBS?

#47 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,568 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:43 AM

"I guess" everyone has their opinion/view of this.

I'm pretty sure if we ran a poll asking if imports should be flagged by Tribune Media as "first run" the first time they're aired in the US, the vast majority of folks with DVRs would not object.
/steve

#48 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,568 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:43 AM

Was Downton Abbey marked as first run on PBS?

They used a US "First Aired" date. The UK OAD is shown in the second pic.

http://www.dbstalk.c...17&d=1363703713

http://www.dbstalk.c...16&d=1363703713
/steve

#49 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:58 AM

Again, the world doesnt revolve around our US dvrs.....typical American arrogance in full bloom here. No wonder most of the world hates us....And I was born and raised here..yet still I'm constantly embarrassed by the arrogance and stupidity of my fellow Americans.

#50 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:03 PM

Again, the world doesnt revolve around our US dvrs.....typical American arrogance in full bloom here. No wonder most of the world hates us....And I was born and raised here..yet still I'm constantly embarrassed by the arrogance and stupidity of my fellow Americans.

Seems a bit "over the top".
Why would I be "arrogant" to want a DVR to record a show when it is first available to me without jumping through a lot of hoops?
I could see this being arrogant if I was receiving the show directly from the original provider, but say with BBCA, they're the conduit to me. Should they change their name to BBC?
A.K.A VOS

#51 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:44 PM

I'm not asking Tribune to change the Original Air Date, or IMDB/TV.Com to act like the original air date is the US air date, and not that of the air date in it's originating company. I'm asking Tribune to set the "First Run" flag to on for the first time the episode airs on a US channel.

In case you didn't realize, the First Run recording setting goes off an unseen "first run" flag that is set behind the scenes in the DVR's guide data that we can't even see. It is possible to have the show description state the Original Air Date, as whatever air date it aired in England and still turn on the "first run" flag for the first time it is aired on BBC-A (or any other country/channel configuration).

Like I said, I don't know if this is BBC-America not realizing they could request this to be done, Tribune Refusing to do so, or DirecTV not passing along the info correctly, or what. All I'm saying is the first time a show airs on a channel it should be marked as first run, whether it is the original air date or not. When the Audience channel shows an episode of 24 for the first time I want my series link to record it if I have it set to first run only, even though it obviously aired years ago on FOX. That is the whole point of First Run and Original Air Date being two seperate items.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#52 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,568 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:51 PM

I'm not asking Tribune to change the Original Air Date, or IMDB/TV.Com to act like the original air date is the US air date, and not that of the air date in it's originating company. I'm asking Tribune to set the "First Run" flag to on for the first time the episode airs on a US channel.

At least some of us agree. :P The ones in the best position to set the flag properly would be the networks that are re-airing the shows and supplying the data to TMS, if they could be trusted to use it correctly. I'm just afraid they'd try to call everything "first run", so they can charge higher ad rates.
/steve

#53 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:26 PM

I couldn't agree more.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#54 OFFLINE   norwestie

norwestie

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts
  • LocationWest Linn, OR

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:30 PM

One fact I just discovered is that the US air date for this season of Top Gear is just one week later than the original air date in the UK. The system is indeed broken.

#55 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,892 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:25 PM

The thing is, I don't remember having to set it up as a manual recording to get it to record right previously. And I know I didn't use a boolean before either. Did something else change, other than us getting them several years later (if at all)? I know there is at least one episode other than the first season that we were never allowed to see.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...