Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Re-activating a retired HR21 - two-year commitment?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bananfish

bananfish

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:11 AM

My HR10-250 that has been our trusty bedroom companion for too many years to count appears to be demised, no more, ceased to be, expired and gone to meet its maker, a stiff, bereft of life, resting in peace, pushing up the daisies, its metabolic processes are now history, off the twig, its kicked the bucket, shuffled off this mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible. This HR10-250 is an ex-DVR.

Our main DVR, in the living room, is an HR24.

We don't have a Genie or any of the associated equipment for whole home DVR (not sure if I have all the terminology correct), but with the HR10-250 having deceased, D* has said they would basically provide all the equipment, including the new DVR, for free. (I've been letting them rape me for years on Sunday Ticket, so I have a fair amount of credits or hearts or merit badges or stars or whatever it is you accrue when they love having you for a customer because they make so much money off you.)

Obviously the "best" DVR I could get now would be the HR34, and I know from what I've read and past experience with D* DVRs that I will be much much much much much happier with the HR44. So I'm absolutely not going to upgrade until the HR44 is available. I'm guessing that when the HR44 becomes available, I'll be able to get D* to agree to credit my account for at least a part of the purchase price, if not the entire cost - they did that for the HR24 when I got it two or three years ago - see Sunday Ticket rape above.

I have an HR21 in the garage that I de-activated when I got the HR24 (I own it so they didn't ask for it back).

My question is: if I have them re-activate the HR21 in the bedroom while I wait for the HR44 to hit the market, will they try to pin a new two-year commitment on me, and if so, is there a risk that they then won't provide me a credit against the purchase of the HR44, or provide me with the upgraded whole-home DVR equipment for free?

Thanks for any helpful insight.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:04 AM

Re-activating an owned DVR will not trigger a new contract. Your best bet when you do that though will be to do it through the Access Card Team. Make sure they know that you are activating an owned receiver.this should not affect any credits that you have earned.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,420 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:17 AM

Their direct number, 877-887-7994