Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Realigning my dish

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:02 PM

No - in DC where the OP is located 99 is the highest, then 101 and then 103. If he were on the west coast, 99 would be the lowest, then 101 and the highest would be 103.
My high school geometry tells me that the tilt setting is setting the dish so the plane of the LNBs is parallel to a line drawn between the three satellite locations. In simplistic terms, that would mean that if the 101 signals are great but 99 and 103 are not, there's a tilt problem. If 99 is good, 101 is so-so and 103 is poor (or the other way around) it's mainly an elevation issue. If all of them are poor, it's probably an azimuth issue, although a big error in elevatiion can have the same effect..

Hi Texas brit.
What you call tilt I call twist or skew. Tilt for me is elevation.
I will remember about the height in the sky of the sats depending on where you live. Thanks

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,233 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:09 PM

Most seem good, but there are a few that are low. I am in the Washington DC area. Can someone take a look and tell me if these are good enough?

You did good. The ones that are low are spot beams that don't apply to your location. All of the "s" satellite beams are spot beams, and there is only one that has to be max for your location.

#23 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,264 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:35 PM

Hi Texas brit.
What you call tilt I call twist or skew. Tilt for me is elevation.
I will remember about the height in the sky of the sats depending on where you live. Thanks

Yea ... its all about semantics;

For me personally, its "azimuth," "elevation," "tilt" for movement around the dish's perpendicular axis, and the term "skew" is reserved for the adjustment of linear LNBs to parallel the received signal's plane of polarization. :)

#24 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:41 PM

Yea ... its all about semantics;

For me personally, its "azimuth," "elevation," "tilt" for movement around the dish's perpendicular axis, and the term "skew" is reserved for the adjustment of linear LNBs to parallel the received signal's plane of polarization. :)

Me too. "Skew" isn't really applicable to DirecTV because it uses circular polarization. With most FTA signals, and services such as Shaw Direct in Canada, which use linear polarization, you need to rotate the LNB itself as you say to be parallel to the polarization of the signal.

#25 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:48 PM

Me too. "Skew" isn't really applicable to DirecTV because it uses circular polarization. With most FTA signals, and services such as Shaw Direct in Canada, which use linear polarization, you need to rotate the LNB itself as you say to be parallel to the polarization of the signal.

LOL. I don't even know what all that means. Too technical for me.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#26 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,986 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:16 PM

LOL. I don't even know what all that means. Too technical for me.

"Skew" is a term used to line up the LNB [when linear polarization is used] to the North pole of the SAT, and not the north pole from the dish.
"Tilt" as used with DirecTV, is to line up the dish LNBs to the same arc of the SATs. All but one DirecTV SAT uses circular polarization, so there isn't any need for pointing anything north.
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...