Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Vanishing Hopper w/Sling

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:26 AM

Had my Hopper, Hopper w/sling and 2 Joey system installed this past Saturday. Everything worked beautifully until this morning when both Joeys lost visibility to the hopper w/sling. They could see the regular hopper fine. The first thing I tried was resetting the network/connections in the broadband menu from the problem receiver. This did regain visibility to the hopper w/sling...but 5 minutes later the Joey's lost communication to this receiver again.

What is the proper way to reset the MOCA network? Is this something that typically needs to be done every few days?? :(

Edited by LtMunst, 05 February 2013 - 07:39 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:51 AM

Try unplugging the hopper from power and leave it unplugged. Plug the HWS in and then the Joey's should see the HWS and link them up. Then plug the hopper back and that should fix it. I'm not sure why the joeys aren't able to see the HWS.

#3 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:02 AM

Try unplugging the hopper from power and leave it unplugged. Plug the HWS in and then the Joey's should see the HWS and link them up. Then plug the hopper back and that should fix it. I'm not sure why the joeys aren't able to see the HWS.

Thanks. Did a soft reset as I ran out the door this morning. If the problem is still there when I get home I'll try your power cycling suggestion.

#4 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:10 AM

Thanks. Did a soft reset as I ran out the door this morning. If the problem is still there when I get home I'll try your power cycling suggestion.

No problem, just be sure only the HWS and Joeys are powered up and verify the joey link before you plug the hopper back in.

#5 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:03 PM

Are you still having this issue?

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,723 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:53 PM

and what version of FW/SW your DVR is running ? (press Menu twice).

Edited by P Smith, 06 February 2013 - 05:17 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:16 AM

Are you still having this issue?

Yes, still having issue. Did the hard re-boot sequence you suggested which did not work. Advanced Tech Support had me do hard re-boots a number of different ways also. Still...Hopper/w sling will not talk to Joeys or the other Hopper.

Oddly...if I reset connection in Network Settings>Moca...the Hopper w/sling usually regains connectivity to everything else...but then drops it 5 minutes later.

Can't help but think this is related to S303 since the Hopper w/sling had no issues talking to everything else until after this software hit my receiver Monday night.

Tech coming this morning to check out.

Edited by LtMunst, 07 February 2013 - 08:36 AM.

#8 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:17 AM

and what version of FW/SW your DVR is running ? (press Menu twice).

Hopper w/sling - S303 NDEB
Hopper - S234 NACB
Joeys - S282 ZADH

#9 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:14 AM

Thats interesting. I have S303 as well and I'm not having any issues with the Joeys seeing either of my Hoppers.

#10 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:14 AM

Just got off the phone with the Tech who just showed up at my house. He asks
what the problem is. I summarize as best as I can and his response is...that's just a menu change in the Joeys.

Really....besides not listening to what I said, does he really think Advanced Tech Support would dispatch someone for that????

I do not have high hopes for this visit. :nono2:

#11 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,723 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:21 PM

Be sure you have handcuffs to hold him enough to see delayed problem ;)

#12 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:33 PM

Hopper w/sling - S303 NDEB
Hopper - S234 NACB
Joeys - S282 ZADH

Perhaps once you get S237/S285 things will work better.

2 Hoppers w/Sling / 2 Hopper 2000s / 1 Joey

1 ViP722k (separate account)

#13 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:48 PM

Be sure you have handcuffs to hold him enough to see delayed problem ;)

My father-in-law is with him, and yes, he is an ex-cop- current security guard with handcuffs. :)

#14 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

Ok...Tech says the original installer had the system mis-wired. Claims to need to run another line from the outside node.

Not sure how it worked ok for 2 days not wired correctly....but who knows? :( Hope he's right. Looking at some installation diagrams, I see the Joeys are supposed to be directly connected to the node. I know the original installer did not run any addition lines from outside besides the 2 existing direct lines to the 2 receivers. How the heck was it working at all?

Update...looks like the clown who installed this actually used some sort of splitter to split the line going to the Hopper/sling and used half that line for the Joeys.

Edited by LtMunst, 07 February 2013 - 01:47 PM.

#15 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

Maybe when the Hopper 2 got the recent update it messed things up. That could explain why things were ok before. The other receivers should be getting an update hopefully soon.

Joeys can be hooked to splitters (and share a line with other Joeys) or taps (shares a line with a Hopper.)

#16 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:55 PM

Joeys can be hooked to splitters (and share a line with other Joeys) or taps (shares a line with a Hopper.)

So, I may have wrongfully slandered the original installer? Maybe the tech at my house is the clown? One of them is, time will tell. :lol:

#17 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:07 PM

So, I may have wrongfully slandered the original installer? Maybe the tech at my house is the clown? One of them is, time will tell. :lol:

It is possible that the current installer was making a guess if there wasn't anything actually wrong. You'll see soon if he fixed it :) . It could be a software bug though due to the Hopper 1s and Joeys currently having older firmware.

#18 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:19 PM

It is possible that the current installer was making a guess if there wasn't anything actually wrong. You'll see soon if he fixed it :) . It could be a software bug though due to the Hopper 1s and Joeys currently having older firmware.

Just got off the phone and supposedly it is now fixed. I'll see for sure when I get home. Not entirely sure what the supposed mis-wiring was...but the tech ran another line from outside.

#19 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:05 PM

I know my Hoppers would have trouble seeing each other randomly until a software update (this was a while ago.) I knew it wasn't a wiring issue as I ran all the cables myself. I talked with DIRT and they figured it was a software issue and they escalated it. The very next day I received software updates on all the receivers and haven't had a problem since :D . So if it still acts flaky, try and wait it out until they push the most recent firmware to your receivers and hopefully that will fix your problem.

#20 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:47 AM

I know my Hoppers would have trouble seeing each other randomly until a software update (this was a while ago.) I knew it wasn't a wiring issue as I ran all the cables myself. I talked with DIRT and they figured it was a software issue and they escalated it. The very next day I received software updates on all the receivers and haven't had a problem since :D . So if it still acts flaky, try and wait it out until they push the most recent firmware to your receivers and hopefully that will fix your problem.

Well....so far everything is working ok. All the devices see each other. Interestingly, the Joeys are showing up in each others device list. I did not see that during the 2 days my system worked previously before crashing.

Not exactly sure what specifically the repair tech found wrong with the original install (his English wasn't great on the phone and I do not speak Albanian :)). He did run a third line from outside (getting rid of the tap I suppose).

I still think S303 was a factor in the original install working vs. not. Maybe after S304 comes out, I'll have to re-wire back to the old way. :lol:

Edited by LtMunst, 08 February 2013 - 07:52 AM.

Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, Joey x2

spam firewall