Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The big Switch

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   smackman

smackman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 430 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:32 AM

I am a Dish Network subscriber; I have a VIP 722. I am ready to upgrade to be able to get HD on my back TV instead of the 480i secondary output the VIP 722 provides.

What should I be looking for with DTV? I have two TV'S; A Mitsubishi 2006 55" 3 gun CRT that has a beautiful picture but only one HDMI input and a 42" Panasonic plasma in the bedroom.

Thanks for the info
Smackman THE KING OF SMACK: Dish Customer since 2000
VIP 722

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,903 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:35 AM

You'd probably get a Genie HR34 for your main TV and a C31 client for your bedroom TV. The C31 client is very nice for a bedroom environment since it has no fan or disk drive to make any noise. I have a C31 on a 40" Samsung in the bedroom and very happy with it since I get full DVR functionality with it.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#3 OFFLINE   mdpeterman

mdpeterman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:58 AM

I too would recommend an HR34 and C31 client. HR34 allows your to record 5 shows at once which is a nice feature. C31 is nice small and silent. You could go a HR34 plus either an HD receiver or HD DVR, but that costs more money. It just allows you to still have a working TV if the HR34 would fail. At this time, it seems the "free" offer is HR34 plus clients.

#4 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:18 AM

As I've said before... And will say again...

If you're coming from Dish Network you'll want to make sure can handle the speed of the HR34 and especially the clients.

Just about everything is better with DirecTV (if you ask me!) but their receivers are not as responsive as Dish Networks and it does take some getting used to. I haven't seen the HR34 or the clients but according to posts here they HR34 is between the HR21/22/23 and HR24 in speed and the clients are even slower.

Check them out somewhere and then make the switch if the 'speed' works for you.

One other thing that doesn't sound it will make a difference to you is that the except for the upcoming HR44 you can't use RF and IR remotes simultaneously - you have to pick one or the other or use a third party remote solution.

Good luck!

#5 OFFLINE   jones_hdtv

jones_hdtv

AllStar

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:48 AM

You might want to stay with Dish and just get a second receiver (VIP612) for the other tv..As Mike says, if you have any concerns with remote response, Dish is way better than DTV...

#6 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:08 PM

You might want to stay with Dish and just get a second receiver (VIP612) for the other tv..As Mike says, if you have any concerns with remote response, Dish is way better than DTV...

It's one of those things. Obviously there are plenty of people perfectly happy with the speed of their DVRs and maybe smackman will be too. I just know how it is to be blindsided by the speed difference after it is too late!

#7 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,903 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:25 PM

If the OP's main priority is to be playing around in the user interface all day vs. watching TV then yes they might not be happy with the speed. The HR34 has been a tad slow every now and then in the past but with each software release it gets better, the same goes for the clients. IMHO the speed is very livable for the normal viewer.

#8 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,937 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:39 PM

According to the First Look, the HR44 is pretty speedy and might be worth waiting for. I imagine the demand for these will be rather high, once they become available.

#9 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:42 PM

If the OP's main priority is to be playing around in the user interface all day vs. watching TV then yes they might not be happy with the speed. The HR34 has been a tad slow every now and then in the past but with each software release it gets better, the same goes for the clients. IMHO the speed is very livable for the normal viewer.

I admit I'm not the average user and I am more annoyed about the speed than the average user. But it is still better to know ahead of time rather than an hour after the installer leaves that things will not be as 'peppy' as you're used to. Especially on the client...

I think chances are the advantages of DirecTV will outweigh the downsides for 'most' people. Including freaks like me that get annoyed with DirecTV's DVRs speed.

#10 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 566 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:02 PM

Go with a HR34 and HR24 and you will be happy...
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

#11 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,903 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:07 PM

Go with a HR34 and HR24 and you will be happy...

You do that and you lose centralized playlist management, have to handle each box seperatly.

#12 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,903 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

I put a short video up at so you can see the speed of the user interface on the HR34 and the C31. As I said it's not a speed demon but for the normal user the HR34 and the C31, especially in a bedroom IMHO it's OK.

#13 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:39 PM

I put a short video up at so you can see the speed of the user interface on the HR34 and the C31. As I said it's not a speed demon but for the normal user the HR34 and the C31, especially in a bedroom IMHO it's OK.

Thanks for the video!

It's difficult to get a 'feel' for it with the just the video but from the looks of it the HR34 is pretty close my HR24-500s. The C31 on the other hand isn't for me. It looks more like my HR22s.

Again - it's hard to know for sure with the video and coming from Dish Network I'd still give it a test drive out in person to make sure I was good with it.

#14 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:05 PM

You do that and you lose centralized playlist management, have to handle each box seperatly.

Not totally true. Yes, each DVR has to be programmed separately by itself but any HD receiver, computer, cell phone. or tablet can program any of the DVRs. I know this because this is what I have. You couldn't give me a free C31.

#15 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,339 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:07 PM

Not totally true. Yes, each DVR has to be programmed separately by itself but any HD receiver, computer, cell phone. or tablet can program any of the DVRs. I know this because this is what I have. You couldn't give me a free C31.

You can't manage the playlist or series links of a DVR with any of those. You can with a C31.

#16 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:10 PM

You can't manage the playlist or series links of a DVR with any of those. You can with a C31.

Trust me I can manage the playlist from my HD24 just fine. I have a HR34, HR24, and a HD24 in my system so I should know.

#17 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,903 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:23 PM

Unless you have an iPad the computer, cell phone and computer can't change a series link. Plus if you schedule a recording via any of those you don't know for sure that it worked.

#18 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:24 PM

Unless you have an iPad the computer, cell phone and computer can't change a series link. Plus if you schedule a recording via any of those you don't know for sure that it worked.

From Directv's own website: Series Link can be set up with your remote, computer, or mobile device.

#19 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:29 PM

LOL, just an email confirming it worked. How much more notification do you need?

#20 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,903 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:30 PM

From Directv's own website: Series Link can be set up with your remote, computer, or mobile device.

Didn't say you couldn't set one up, try to change the priority, keep until delete/full start/end padding etc after you've schedule it.

spam firewall