Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The big Switch

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,094 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:33 PM

LOL, just an email confirming it worked. How much more notification do you need?

No, the e-mail just says the request was sent to the DVR, doesn't say it will record. Example you already have two recordings scheduled for 8pm, you use your PC to schedule a third, either that one will work and one of the others won't or the other two record and the one you thought you scheduled won't. Try again.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:38 PM

Didn't say you couldn't set one up, try to change the priority, keep until delete/full start/end padding etc after you've schedule it.

I am not looking for an argument. Use whatever system works for you. I have already had this discussion with VOS and we have agreed to disagree. I do not like the C31 and it does not do what I want. To me it was developed just as a way for Directv to cheap out. But hey, use what you like. My only real concern is that Directv is going to start limiting our equipment choices and force us to use equipment we don't necessarily want.

Edited by macfan601, 05 February 2013 - 09:45 PM.

#23 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,094 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:49 PM

I am not looking for an argument. Use whatever system works for you. I have already had this discussion with VOS and we have agreed to disagree. I do not like the C31 and it does not do what I want. To me it was developed just as a way for Directv to cheap out. But hey, use what you like. My only real concern is that Directv is going to start limiting our equipment choices and force us to use equipment we don't necessarily want.

Also not looking for an argument, just pointing out inaccurate information in your responses.

#24 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:38 AM

macfan601, I'll cut you a break because you are most likely handicapped by your love of macs...... ;)

But seriuosly, you are talking about the ability to remotely schedule recordings, and RAD is referring to playlist management. Which encompasses a whole lot more stuff.

#25 OFFLINE   smackman

smackman

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 430 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:55 AM

All this High Tech talk has me confused.
I want to have A up to date system that has DVR as good as the 722 and Quality HD in my back bedroom.
DVR is not needed in back bedroom. It's just me and the Wife.

Because I have been with Dish for 12+ Years, They will upgrade me for free with the Hopper and 1 joey.

DTV appeals to me because I am a sports enthusiast and change can be good.
Smackman THE KING OF SMACK: Dish Customer since 2000
VIP 722

#26 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,094 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:15 AM

Then again I recommend the HR34 Genie for your main viewing location and the C31 client for your master bedroom location. Your HD picture quality will be the same on the C31 as on the HR34, just the user interface will be a bit slower than when you're directly on the HR34. The C31 will give you all the capabilities that are on the HR34 including DIRECTV on Demand, TVApps, Pandora, YouTube, MediaShare, access to over the air tuner (AM21) if on the HR34, caller ID if a phone line is connected to the HR34. It's just like being on the HR34, just a bit slower as I said.

#27 OFFLINE   smackman

smackman

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 430 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:30 AM

Then again I recommend the HR34 Genie for your main viewing location and the C31 client for your master bedroom location. Your HD picture quality will be the same on the C31 as on the HR34, just the user interface will be a bit slower than when you're directly on the HR34. The C31 will give you all the capabilities that are on the HR34 including DIRECTV on Demand, TVApps, Pandora, YouTube, MediaShare, access to over the air tuner (AM21) if on the HR34, caller ID if a phone line is connected to the HR34. It's just like being on the HR34, just a bit slower as I said.

Thanks; This will be my choice. Dish just pissed me off by changing the free installation to $95 dollars unless I take out there protection plan at $7 for a minimum of 4 months.
Smackman THE KING OF SMACK: Dish Customer since 2000
VIP 722

#28 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,094 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

Thanks; This will be my choice. Dish just pissed me off by changing the free installation to $95 dollars unless I take out there protection plan at $7 for a minimum of 4 months.

Don't forget, if you know someone with DIRECTV they can get you a referral which saves both of you $10/month for 10 months.

#29 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:53 AM

Probably a good choice. Gotta love the games they play!

I’d still check an HR34 with a C31 out hands-on before making the jump. Maybe you know someone with DirecTV or a nearby reseller will have a setup you can test. The 722 is one of the fastest DVRs there is and from the looks of it the C31 it may be one of the slowest.

Again – maybe the speed won’t bother you but better to find out first.

#30 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:55 AM

Don't forget, if you know someone with DIRECTV they can get you a referral which saves both of you $10/month for 10 months.

Great point! Doesn't he have to call a 'special' number for the referral program?

#31 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,094 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

Great point! Doesn't he have to call a 'special' number for the referral program?

Yep, the person that sets up the referral is supposed to give them the number and all the other info. Just needs to make sure they follow the rules exactly else it will be denied.

#32 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,094 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:06 PM

I did forget, there is one thing the C31 can't do that the HR34 can, you can't do picture in picture (PIP) on the C31, only on the HR34.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...