Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

A stalker no more!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   GAPF1

GAPF1

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:47 AM

Hi, been a 'stalker' for a while, and been analyzing a variety of topics and issues. Generally, this looks to be a very helpful forum, which is reassuring.

So, to my point. I currently have two duo DVRs: a ViP722 and a 625. The 722 is the main DVR, located in the livingroom. The 625 is upstairs in the bedroom. The DVR functionality of the 625 is really only utilized to pause or rewind to the beginning of a programme, not really used for recording.

I'm mulling a couple of upgrade options:
1. Keep the 722, move it to the bedroom, and then get either a 722 plus Sling, or the 922;

2. Go "all in" with the Hopper and Joey setup

I'd really like the ability to be able to view recorded programmes somewhere else i.e. either on my laptop, or on the other TV.

Any thoughts/advise or even more questions for me to consider?!

Thanks in advance.

You can't expect to wield supreme executive power, just because some watery tart threw a sword at you.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   VDP07

VDP07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:26 PM

How many TV's are being supprted by your current setup? If it is only 2, then a Hopper/Joey setup would be a no-brainer. Would likely cost only $50 to upgrade and would save you $7 mo. Add a Sling adapter for remote viewing. Upgrading to a Hopper w/Sling would likley cost $200 upfront but the same per mo.

#3 OFFLINE   MaryB@DishNetwork

MaryB@DishNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 359 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:54 PM

Hi GAPF1, if you would like to email me your account or phone number and the four digit pin number on your account and I can let you know what your options and costs would be. Please also let me know how many TV's you have in your home. Thank you! You can email me at marycatherine.brady@dish.com

Mary Catherine Brady
Team Lead- Dish Internet Response Team

Sunday, Tuesday-Thursday 3:30pm-12:00am, Monday 11:30am-8:00pm (MST)

#4 OFFLINE   GAPF1

GAPF1

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:03 AM

How many TV's are being supprted by your current setup? If it is only 2, then a Hopper/Joey setup would be a no-brainer. Would likely cost only $50 to upgrade and would save you $7 mo. Add a Sling adapter for remote viewing. Upgrading to a Hopper w/Sling would likley cost $200 upfront but the same per mo.

Hi VDP07, thanks for the reply. Just the 2 TVs, for now.

MaryB from DIRT has replied too, so I'll email her with the details, and see what she comes back with.

Bit intrigued by the difference in upgrade price for the Hopper with Sling versus the Hopper and adding a Sling, but I presume MaryB will explain.

Thanks again.
You can't expect to wield supreme executive power, just because some watery tart threw a sword at you.

#5 OFFLINE   GAPF1

GAPF1

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:33 AM

Hi GAPF1, if you would like to email me your account or phone number and the four digit pin number on your account and I can let you know what your options and costs would be. Please also let me know how many TV's you have in your home. Thank you! You can email me at marycatherine.brady@dish.com

Hi, just emailed the details as requested. Look forward to receiving your reply.

Thanks.

#6 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,163 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:02 AM

Hi VDP07, thanks for the reply. Just the 2 TVs, for now.

MaryB from DIRT has replied too, so I'll email her with the details, and see what she comes back with.

Bit intrigued by the difference in upgrade price for the Hopper with Sling versus the Hopper and adding a Sling, but I presume MaryB will explain.

Thanks again.

It's pretty much old vs new. Also, if you want sling built in and the app for wireless transfer to an iPad included in your unit would be reason for the increased fee. If you have no need for the app, you can buy the sling adaptor for $50, but the Hopper with included sling would have less chance of problems. MaryB will have more info.

#7 OFFLINE   GAPF1

GAPF1

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:03 AM

It's pretty much old vs new. Also, if you want sling built in and the app for wireless transfer to an iPad included in your unit would be reason for the increased fee. If you have no need for the app, you can buy the sling adaptor for $50, but the Hopper with included sling would have less chance of problems. MaryB will have more info.

Hi garys. You're saying that the Hopper with built in Sling is less prone to issues? Can you elaborate, please? I was kind of assuming that the safer option would be a 'standalone' Sling.

#8 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,163 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:38 AM

Hopper with sling has only been available for only a couple of weeks, but the sling adaptor used with the Hopper is the same one used with the 722. The only other receiver which has the sling built in it the 922, I have read about more problems with the sling adaptor on the 722 and the first generation Hopper than I haven with the 922. Although not every user of a 922 makes use of the sling, those who have used both the 922 and a 722 w/adaptor have all stated the 922 use with sling is more stable. Again, this is from what I have read on sites like this one (including this one).

#9 OFFLINE   GAPF1

GAPF1

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:32 PM

Hopper with sling has only been available for only a couple of weeks, but the sling adaptor used with the Hopper is the same one used with the 722. The only other receiver which has the sling built in it the 922, I have read about more problems with the sling adaptor on the 722 and the first generation Hopper than I haven with the 922. Although not every user of a 922 makes use of the sling, those who have used both the 922 and a 722 w/adaptor have all stated the 922 use with sling is more stable. Again, this is from what I have read on sites like this one (including this one).

Good info, thanks. I'll do some digging around for some posts on that before I make a decision.

#10 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:55 AM

and Welcome to the forums.

#11 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:56 AM

My biased opinion is go with the Hopper and Joey.

#12 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,163 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:20 AM

My biased opinion is go with the Hopper and Joey.

I would think the OP's is questioning to sling or not to sling.

#13 OFFLINE   GAPF1

GAPF1

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:48 AM

I would think the OP's is questioning to sling or not to sling.

Sling/no Sling is part of the question, yes. But you also got me thinking about the built in or not built in, which initially I hadn't thought to consider!

But I am also looking at the options for equipment i.e. Hopper and Joey, versus newer conventional DVR.

#14 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,163 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:36 AM

Sling/no Sling is part of the question, yes. But you also got me thinking about the built in or not built in, which initially I hadn't thought to consider!

But I am also looking at the options for equipment i.e. Hopper and Joey, versus newer conventional DVR.

H/J is the top of the line dvr for Dish, with built in sling is the newest model.

spam firewall