Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Lost 1/2 of My Hard Drive Space

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Tecmo SB Guy

Tecmo SB Guy

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:20 PM

For anyone here who's a computer expert or anyone else for that matter, I have a situation I'd like to run by you guys and maybe somebody has an answer for this.

Anyways, I have a desktop. It has 2 partitions. Each partition has about 250 GB of space.

The computer crashed and so I reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled the operating system (it's Windows Vista. The desktop is about 6 years old).

When I did that, I only got 1 partition back. The other 250 GB partition disappeared. So I essentially lost half my hard drive space.

What do you guys think happened and do you guys think it's a hardware problem or software problem?

And how can I get that other partition back?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,913 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:45 PM

If you run diskmgmt.msc from the start menu, does it show up there without a drive letter assigned?

#3 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,312 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:06 PM

Did you reformat the whole drive or just the system partition? How was it partitioned, in two primary partitions, or one primary containing two logical partitions? Was the 2nd partition encrypted?
Dish subscriber since 2000, HD since 2004.

#4 OFFLINE   Tecmo SB Guy

Tecmo SB Guy

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:29 PM

If you run diskmgmt.msc from the start menu, does it show up there without a drive letter assigned?

Okay just ran it.

No it didn't show up there. Does that mean it's a hardware problem?

Did you reformat the whole drive or just the system partition?

The whole drive.

How was it partitioned, in two primary partitions, or one primary containing two logical partitions?

Actually, it was originally 3 partitions. The 2 partitions with the available hard drive space and 1 small recovery partition. When I did the system recovery, the small recovery partition and 1 partition with all the programs and some available hard drive space showed up. The 3rd partition was gone.

Was the 2nd partition encrypted?

No.

#5 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,913 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:15 PM

So you only see the 250gb? You aren't seeing the other in unallocated space, or anything?

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,853 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:12 PM

need pictures:
- BIOS setup
- Disk Management

#7 OFFLINE   philtec

philtec

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 50 posts
  • LocationPhila PA

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:53 AM

Download this free partiton program and it might tell you what is going on:
http://www.extend-pa...on-manager.html

#8 OFFLINE   Tecmo SB Guy

Tecmo SB Guy

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:19 PM

So you only see the 250gb? You aren't seeing the other in unallocated space, or anything?

No.

need pictures:
- BIOS setup
- Disk Management

I uploaded the Disk Management. How do I see the BIOS setup?

Download this free partiton program and it might tell you what is going on:
http://www.extend-pa...on-manager.html

Thanks, I'll try that.

There's a 3rd partition for the Recovery. I didn't mention it for simplicities sake.

Attached Thumbnails

• Disk Management.JPG

Edited by Tecmo SB Guy, 06 February 2013 - 06:22 PM.
About the recovery partition

#9 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,853 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:29 PM

How do I see the BIOS setup?

when booting press F10 button or Delete - check your PC manual.

#10 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:12 PM

...that partition is definitely blown away. Partition Manager may be able to find it.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#11 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:15 AM

Check out EASEUS Partition Master Home Edition. You can resize and recover partitions with it. It's free and works very well.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#12 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:16 AM

Here's an excerpt from Windows Secrets newsletter I get. This came in today. Note the use of EaseUS. This person was able to recover they're partition completely. Check it out as The MERG suggested!

Help found in Windows Secrets' archives
 Saturday, I wrote you of my external disk's problem with lost data. Yesterday, I was able to ascertain that the data space I had lost had been turned into unallocated disk space. This was, of course, even more disconcerting, but now I had a better search term available to me. I used it to search Windows Secrets and generate a series of articles.
In one of Fred Langa's pieces, I found a pointer to a free disk partition recovery tool, EaseUS Partition Recovery. I downloaded and installed it and cranked it up. Its fast version produced no results, but its complete version, which took some 10 hours to finish, found my data storage partition. I was able to restore that partition with all of the desired data intact. It wasn't able to find my system backup partition, but I was able to convert the remaining unallocated space into a new partition into which I immediately poured a new system backup.
Bottom line is that my external disk problem has been resolved, thanks to Windows Secrets, Fred Langa, and EaseUS Partition Recovery. I still don't understand why the Acer box did what it did when I tried to store a copy of its recovery partition to my external drive, but I have decided to try to get around it using the Windows 8 version of the Windows 7 file backup, which seems to work exactly like the Windows 7 backup utility. Accept my sincere thanks. — Rick Ketchum

#13 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:24 AM

Here's an excerpt from Windows Secrets newsletter I get. This came in today. Note the use of EaseUS. This person was able to recover they're partition completely. Check it out as The MERG suggested!

Help found in Windows Secrets' archives
 Saturday, I wrote you of my external disk's problem with lost data. Yesterday, I was able to ascertain that the data space I had lost had been turned into unallocated disk space. This was, of course, even more disconcerting, but now I had a better search term available to me. I used it to search Windows Secrets and generate a series of articles.
In one of Fred Langa's pieces, I found a pointer to a free disk partition recovery tool, EaseUS Partition Recovery. I downloaded and installed it and cranked it up. Its fast version produced no results, but its complete version, which took some 10 hours to finish, found my data storage partition. I was able to restore that partition with all of the desired data intact. It wasn't able to find my system backup partition, but I was able to convert the remaining unallocated space into a new partition into which I immediately poured a new system backup.
Bottom line is that my external disk problem has been resolved, thanks to Windows Secrets, Fred Langa, and EaseUS Partition Recovery. I still don't understand why the Acer box did what it did when I tried to store a copy of its recovery partition to my external drive, but I have decided to try to get around it using the Windows 8 version of the Windows 7 file backup, which seems to work exactly like the Windows 7 backup utility. Accept my sincere thanks. — Rick Ketchum

Just to be clear... EASEUS has two products. Partition Master and Partition Recovery. Partition Recovery is great for the cases where a partition has been deleted and needs to be recovered. Partition Master is great for the cases where you want to adjust partition sizes, move them around, and add or delete partitions.

In the OP's case, it looks like he wants to create one large data partition instead of having two smaller ones. In that case, I would use the Partition Master application.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

Protected By... spam firewall...And...