Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Monday Mornings

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BosFan

BosFan

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts
  • LocationAltoona, WI

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:04 PM

Anyone catch the premiere on TNT last night? Need to watch a few more but so far I like it, reminds me a little of when E.R. first started and it was more about the medicine than the characters. Might be worth a watch.

Living room: Panasonic VIERA TC-P55ST30, HR23-700, Sony BDP-N460, Yamaha HTR-6140, Harmony 700
Family room: Vizio SV421XVT, HR24-500, Sony PlayStation 3, Yamaha R-7, Harmony 700
Bedroom: Vizio VA26L, HR21-200
SL-3, DECA, Whole-Home DVR, DTV since 4/09

Life isn’t like a box of chocolates…it’s more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your *** tomorrow.
---Author Unknown

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,920 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:34 PM

Just watched it.

Rather boring.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#3 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,665 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

Just watched it.

Rather boring.

Monday mornings usually are. :sure:

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#4 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:36 PM

I'm recording it but holding off on watching it until I hear more buzz.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#5 OFFLINE   BosFan

BosFan

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 182 posts
  • LocationAltoona, WI

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:54 PM

Buzzzzzzzzz :lol:
I usually don't watch them right away either but the DVR was recording two shows so I just watched rather than switch to another recording. I usually will give a new show some tie to develop though.

Living room: Panasonic VIERA TC-P55ST30, HR23-700, Sony BDP-N460, Yamaha HTR-6140, Harmony 700
Family room: Vizio SV421XVT, HR24-500, Sony PlayStation 3, Yamaha R-7, Harmony 700

Life isn’t like a box of chocolates…it’s more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your *** tomorrow.
---Author Unknown

#6 OFFLINE   BosFan

BosFan

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 182 posts
  • LocationAltoona, WI

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:55 PM

Monday mornings usually are. :sure:

Yes, yes they are. :grin:

---Author Unknown

#7 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,222 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:29 PM

I liked it. It was actually pretty moving and gripping.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#8 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,762 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:43 PM

"Realistic" surgeries ... some soap opera. Surgeons who are winners and losers.
I probably would not have watch it without the Sanjay Gupta connection.

I already have one smug doctor who I cannot wait to see stand in front of that glass lectern. :)

And the doctor stuck between the rock and the 8-ball ... better language begins with not saying "dead" so often - but it adds some blunt humor to the script.

#9 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,418 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:40 PM

I rate the pilot as just ok, not one of the strongest of this year. But I see a lot of promise in the show, good cast, good ongoing plot point to build each episode from. My wife felt the character Dr. Jorge Villanueva played by Ving Rhames was a little off.

I too liked the repeated "dead" - I have a doctor, surgeon really, whose command of the English language is considerably better but not perfect. He reminds me of the Dr. Sung Park character. That's my kind of surgeon. I don't need to like him, I don't need him as a buddy. I needed him to do the best he can which is usually better than most, and he did.

So overall we'll be recording and watching this one.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#10 OFFLINE   EdJ

EdJ

Legend

• Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:29 AM

I rate the pilot as just ok, not one of the strongest of this year. But I see a lot of promise in the show, good cast, good ongoing plot point to build each episode from. My wife felt the character Dr. Jorge Villanueva played by Ving Rhames was a little off.

I too liked the repeated "dead" - I have a doctor, surgeon really, whose command of the English language is considerably better but not perfect. He reminds me of the Dr. Sung Park character. That's my kind of surgeon. I don't need to like him, I don't need him as a buddy. I needed him to do the best he can which is usually better than most, and he did.

So overall we'll be recording and watching this one.

I agree... I also liked that it showed that life does not always have a happy ending. The patient does not always have a miraculous recovery.

#11 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,584 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:32 AM

Another doctor show? Casey, Kildare and Welby didn't cure everybody?
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#12 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,956 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:06 AM

It is drama, wrapped in drama, dipped in drama, and then smothered in more drama.

I believe the term is maudlin.

#13 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,418 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:24 PM

In case you missed it, this show appears to be DOA. According to TV-by-the-Numbers, it premiered with a "0.3 rating with adults 18-49 rating at 10pm when the 10am repeat of Supernatural drew a 0.4." And a 6 am rerun of "Smallville" pulled 0.4.

I'll keep recording it, but not watching it as I expect it to get a very few episodes.

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#14 OFFLINE   Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411

Icon

• Registered
  • 610 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:15 PM

The commercial made it look like it is all about the weekly meeting about how they screwed up or did something right over the past week. I recorded it and will continue for now but isn't on my watch list. I think the title also hurts it, gives no idea what the show is about if you just see the name flash by.

#15 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,762 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:01 PM

The commercial made it look like it is all about the weekly meeting about how they screwed up or did something right over the past week. I recorded it and will continue for now but isn't on my watch list. I think the title also hurts it, gives no idea what the show is about if you just see the name flash by.

You can blame the title on the book ... I'm not sure what else to call the show "Morbidity and Mortality"?

The first show was an introduction. Four cases followed with two ending in life and two ending in death. I don't know how many would follow the show if it were all about the meetings. The show is all about the people who save lives ... and sometimes lose their patients. The arrogant who win and the arrogant who lose.

#16 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,418 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:11 PM

After watching last night's episode, I feel comfortable asserting that this show is one of the best written ensemble cast shows to appear on our TV screen in the past few years. And the acting and directing are superb. It is certainly the best show nobody is watching on TV right now.

My AV Setup

#17 OFFLINE   BosFan

BosFan

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 182 posts
  • LocationAltoona, WI

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:16 PM

After watching last night's episode, I feel comfortable asserting that this show is one of the best written ensemble cast shows to appear on our TV screen in the past few years. And the acting and directing are superb. It is certainly the best show nobody is watching on TV right now.

Thanks Phrelin, I was thinking the same, but of course to each his own. Hopefully enough people will watch it to keep it around and thankfully it's not on NBC where it would have died an extremely quick death.

---Author Unknown

#18 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:04 AM

Watched a few minutes of it, the acting was at the near-amateur level of a typical Hallmark Channel movie which they make for $100-200k in 2 weeks. All the hospital drama cliches got trotted out just in those few minutes. Unwatchable. I can fully understand them cancelling it forthwith.

#19 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,280 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:20 AM

I'm with you! I thought the show was very good with an excellent cast. Hopefully it can grow an audience fast enough to stick around.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#20 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,222 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:35 PM

I liked it as well, Phrelin. I don't think it is groundbreaking, but the "Monday Morning Quarterbacking" is new and interesting.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...