Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hr34 want to add another hDDVR

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ibooksrule

ibooksrule

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:04 PM

We have an hr34 and a client. Hate this set up miss when I could get more then 1 hddvr for free.
Anyway I want to add another HDDVR to our account. Need more recording options.

What are my options? I know they offers TiVo now along with the hr34 but all I read is the TiVo sucks.

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,985 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

You can get another HD DVR added to your account. You can either call DIRECTV and get it through them, but it could be anything from a refurb HR21 to a new HR24, all depends on what the installer has on the truck. The alternativer is you go to a retailer, like Solid Signal, and get one from there, it's still a leased box though, not owned. If you have Whole Home DVR on your account then you'll be able to play recordings from one HD DVR on the other HD DVR, but you can't schedule or maintain seriel links between them.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#3 OFFLINE   ibooksrule

ibooksrule

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

Do they charge you for those? Its true then you can't do another hr34?

#4 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,985 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:41 PM

Yes they'll charge you, 'list' price is $199, but depending on how long you've been a customer could be anywhere from that $199 to free, all depends on your account status and number of credits/deals you've had in the past.

#5 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,727 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

It is true that you can only have one Genie. Monthly cost for client/receiver/DVR is the same.

#6 OFFLINE   ibooksrule

ibooksrule

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:00 PM

New customer. Didn't realize that a client took a line from the genie. Thought only if it was recording it did. And I wanted 5 tuners. Don't use them all the time but often we do. So probably won't get discount.

#7 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,985 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:01 PM

New customer. Didn't realize that a client took a line from the genie. Thought only if it was recording it did. And I wanted 5 tuners. Don't use them all the time but often we do. So probably won't get discount.

The clients only take a tuner when they are turned on if that helps.

#8 OFFLINE   ibooksrule

ibooksrule

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:05 PM

Might have to work around it. Makes no sense to pay $200 to lease something unless you got that back when you turn it in. I use to pay that to buy. Use to have a Hughes TiVo I bought for less.

#9 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,985 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:17 PM

Might have to work around it. Makes no sense to pay $200 to lease something unless you got that back when you turn it in. I use to pay that to buy. Use to have a Hughes TiVo I bought for less.

The $200 charge should be looked at an 'upgrade' fee. The montly lease fee is $6/month, doesn't matter what type of box it's for. You can get a SD receiver for free, no up front charge, but when you start going to an advanced receiver like a HD receiver or SD DVR then it's $99, a HD DVR $199 and Genie $299.

Kind of like leasing a car, you want a monthly charge of $400/month, for no down payment all you get is a Chevy, you put $10,000 down you get a Buick.

#10 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,727 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:16 PM

A respected forum member has an HR21 with upgraded hard drive with DECA etc for sale, for $300 shipped. Those aren't great boxes speed wise, but an option.

#11 OFFLINE   FarNorth

FarNorth

Godfather

• Registered
  • 357 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:26 AM

It's all relative ... I paid $999 for a Dish 921 DVR that I sold on eBay for $250 when I switched to Direct. Then I paid $919 for an HR 250 that I threw in the dumpster a few years later when Direct switched to MPEG 4.

#12 OFFLINE   ibooksrule

ibooksrule

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:25 PM

Hr21 is horribly slow. Even slower then my hr34

spam firewall