Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Returning Customer

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:12 AM

For me it was the Epix movie channels and Reelz in HD. Otherwise the differences between the two are minimal enough to not be an issue for me.

That's what I am saying this guy say hln well we get it in HD and I do not know of one singe thing that is on epix that I would even watch. But I do know that I like sports and dish doesn't come close to the coverage that DirecTV has.
For the others that the guy listed some are in HD and well most of them I do not even watch so not a big deal to me even if they are in SD.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,280 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:16 AM

That's what I am saying this guy say hln well we get it in HD and I do not know of one singe thing that is on epix that I would even watch. But I do know that I like sports and dish doesn't come close to the coverage that DirecTV has.

Very true, Dish doesn't do sports as well as Direct. For me Dish's sports coverage is fine and I won't miss a single sporting event that I want to watch and that would be true even with the miserable cable company we have down here. Sports is not on my list of things to worry about!

But the reason we have 2 similar in many respects, sat providers is to feed our viewing wants. And since with the recent and upcoming price increases are bringing the cost differential to nearly zero, it makes switching a better proposition than it has ever been as long as you can get what you want from both.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#23 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:21 AM

Very true, Dish doesn't do sports as well as Direct. For me Dish's sports coverage is fine and I won't miss a single sporting event that I want to watch and that would be true even with the miserable cable company we have down here. Sports is not on my list of things to worry about!

But the reason we have 2 similar in many respects, sat providers is to feed our viewing wants. And since with the recent and upcoming price increases are bringing the cost differential to nearly zero, it makes switching a better proposition than it has ever been as long as you can get what you want from both.

Thank you for being civil, if you like dish keep it if you like DirecTV keep it. Information should be why did you choose and what makes it better. My 2 reasons are sports and kids programs the other guy does not have a want-need in them so dish works fine.
What I would
I'd love to see is all alacart channels but that will never happen.

#24 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,280 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:31 AM

I see no reason not to be civil. I have a love/hate relationship with both services and have subscribed to both multiple times. It is strictly a pay for service provided business deal, nothing personal in it at all. Playing by the rules both sat providers use, I switch when it is in my best interest. Just as I haggle for a better price when buying a car.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#25 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:35 AM

I see no reason not to be civil. I have a love/hate relationship with both services and have subscribed to both multiple times. It is strictly a pay for service provided business deal, nothing personal in it at all. Playing by the rules both sat providers use, I switch when it is in my best interest. Just as I haggle for a better price when buying a car.

I'm talking about being civil on here not with dish or DirecTV. I get mad quickly with the CSRs but then I'm very nice with retention people.

#26 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:15 AM

I always keep forgetting around here that God forbid if you criticize ANYTHING about D*...

That's what I am saying this guy say hln well we get it in HD

Thank you for being civil

Don't know if this was directed at me &/or what was NOT civil about my answer toward you...but to your point about HLN & to repeat the salient (lacking) HD lineup point:

at the time I dumped D* last summer, this is what D* did NOT have in HD, that E* DID:

You DO understand that some of these HD channels, including HLN, JUST now became available a week ago - again, when I dumped D* over SIX months ago, I decided that waiting TWO years was long enough for D* to **** or get off the pot - as well as the receiver issues I had. Sorry if this is not civil enough; it's kind of hard to sugar coat it otherwise. :shrug:

As far as being "civil" toward D* - I tried (nicely) 3 times to get them to do something w/my POS receivers; they would NOT; so I told them simply to shut it off - simple as that. :confused:
BUT for something nice I CAN say about D*...they didn't want their POS DVR's back, so I was able to keep them - & am watching all of my shows that are still on them at my leisure. So I didn't loose any of my existing shows by switching & am watching them as I have time. :D

Honestly if D* had come thru with properly working receivers, & if they had had all those new HD channels back THEN, I probably would have still been with them. But truthfully overall, E* works better for me now...

Edited by dishrich, 09 February 2013 - 11:36 AM.

#27 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:47 PM

OK, what IS the (real) diff then...the point is, whatever you want to call it, it's NOT a big deal for a "just disco'd sub" to get the SAME offers as new customers, ONCE you pull the plug entirely - obviously by all the posts here to this effect. Although in my case, they also offered to pay $200 toward the ETF of my "new provider" - which frankly, is a joke, considering the ETF would be almost DOUBLE this...thx but NO thx. :rolleyes:

The point is you wanted clarification to what I was saying, and so, I clarified. A new customer offer is given only once per account. Generally a "Winback" offer is given only once to an account, so you could not take advantage of the system. The $200 towards the ETF is obviously not a good idea if you just signed up with another provider, but if you're 14 months into your new contract, it is.
My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#28 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:21 PM

The point is you wanted clarification to what I was saying, and so, I clarified. A new customer offer is given only once per account. Generally a "Winback" offer is given only once to an account, so you could not take advantage of the system. The $200 towards the ETF is obviously not a good idea if you just signed up with another provider, but if you're 14 months into your new contract, it is.

I don't know anyone who goes into a 24 month contract and then asks another company to pay to get out.
Unless something extremely bad happens I will never switch from DirecTV.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...