Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New Hopper + Dish Anywhere - Crashing Plug-in/Browser

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Centex99

Centex99

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:14 PM

I can't seem to get it to work with internet explorer or chrome... internet explorer seems to just continuously crash and restart itself... chrome just shows the plug-in fail everytime...
I have the latest hopper with sling built in...
It does seem to work just fine with my android phone, tablet and wife's iphone...
Any suggestions?

Edited by Centex99, 05 February 2013 - 06:24 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:40 PM

what SW version on it ? (press Menu twice to read the version # )

#3 OFFLINE   Centex99

Centex99

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:06 PM

S303 on the hopper... latest version of chrome and plugin...

#4 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:15 PM

oh boy, now it's S3.03 .... they making new version too fast for fix bugs last days ... need wait for new one ...

#5 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:04 AM

I have S303 and both Chrome and IE work fine.

#6 OFFLINE   Centex99

Centex99

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:56 AM

I'm running chrome in windows 7 64-bit... chrome and IE are both 32 bit...
I've tried clearing cookies/etc... but it still crashes...

#7 OFFLINE   Centex99

Centex99

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:10 AM

So it seems it was avast anti-virus causing the problems.... :-/

#8 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:54 PM

Avast 7 could cause the plug in to not install, but you can get around that by temporarily disabling the security software for the installation process of the plug in.

#9 OFFLINE   Centex99

Centex99

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:57 PM

The plugin installs with avast... it just fails to work. It will continously crash the plug-in...
if I disable the anti-virus, the plug-in works...
who should I contact to report this bug? Dish or avast?

#10 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:06 PM

both

#11 OFFLINE   Centex99

Centex99

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:07 PM

Easy solution that seems to work...
If you go to Real Time Shields, and then Web Shield... then expert settings and finally Exclusions, you can add http://www.dishanywhere.com/* to the URLs to excluse and the plugin operates as expected...

Well...scratch that... that doesn't seem to work anymore... neither does diabling the plug-in... I'm not sure what combination of software is causing the plugin to continue to crash...

Edited by Centex99, 06 February 2013 - 09:43 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:50 PM

The plugin installs with avast... it just fails to work. It will continously crash the plug-in...
if I disable the anti-virus, the plug-in works...
who should I contact to report this bug? Dish or avast?

Dish already knows and it's officially a known issue and I believe the fix is coming in a future sw release. I believe they said Avast7 causes the plugin to crash.

#13 OFFLINE   jimbo831

jimbo831

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:42 PM

I do not have Avast and I am having this exact same problem. I run Symantec Endpoint Protection. I have tried reinstalling the Chrome plugin with my anti-virus disabled and it has not made any difference. This problem is definitely not related to Avast specifically.

The thing that bugs me is I was just using this a couple days ago on my ViP 722 with Sling Adapter. As soon as I upgraded to the Hopper with Sling, it doesn't work, which leads me to believe it's a Hopper problem, not a Chrome/IE plugin problem.

#14 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:28 PM

I believe the issue is regarding the following antivirus sw blocking the plug in from being able to be installed, but not this issue where it is crashing the app.

Symantec Endpoint Protection, Avast7, CA Total Defense, and GameGuard

Since the app is crashing, I would report that to DIRT.

#15 OFFLINE   jimbo831

jimbo831

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:28 PM

I believe the issue is regarding the following antivirus sw blocking the plug in from being able to be installed, but not this issue where it is crashing the app.

Symantec Endpoint Protection, Avast7, CA Total Defense, and GameGuard

Since the app is crashing, I would report that to DIRT.

I don't think that is the problem. I uninstalled the plugin, cleared my cache, turned off my AV, reinstalled tje plugin, and the problem continued.

Also, it worked just a week ago when I was using a ViP 722 with the Sling adapter. The problem didn't start until I got the new Hopper with Sling.

Also, what is DIRT? I have reported it to Dish tech support, but they just said they would file a bug report. That doesn't help me at all.

#16 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:32 PM

I don't think that is the problem. I uninstalled the plugin, cleared my cache, turned off my AV, reinstalled tje plugin, and the problem continued.

Also, it worked just a week ago when I was using a ViP 722 with the Sling adapter. The problem didn't start until I got the new Hopper with Sling.

Also, what is DIRT? I have reported it to Dish tech support, but they just said they would file a bug report. That doesn't help me at all.

Dirt is the dish team that does forum support. Maybe they aren't aware of the extent of this problem, since it isn't just an issue of not being able to install the plug in but that it crashes instead.

#17 OFFLINE   jimbo831

jimbo831

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:35 PM

Dirt is the dish team that does forum support. Maybe they aren't aware of the extent of this problem, since it isn't just an issue of not being able to install the plug in but that it crashes instead.

Ah, thanks. I have actually created a new thread on the Dish forums.

#18 OFFLINE   Centex99

Centex99

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:37 AM

Yeah, I'm not sure exactly jimbo what is causing the problem... it seems sometimes if I have extensions and av disabled, I can get it to work without crashing... and then other times it doesn't... Keep me updated if you can on what you find out.

#19 OFFLINE   jimbo831

jimbo831

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:43 AM

Yeah, I'm not sure exactly jimbo what is causing the problem... it seems sometimes if I have extensions and av disabled, I can get it to work without crashing... and then other times it doesn't... Keep me updated if you can on what you find out.

I had an update to post. Somebody on the Dish forum was pretty insistent that AV was causing the problem, so I decided to spend more time testing. This time, rather than disable my AV, I actually completely removed all traces of it from my computer. I still had the exact same problem with absolutely no AV installed on my computer. I also have no other extensions running in IE, so I don't think there is a conflict there causing the problem.

I am of the opinion that the problem is with the new Hopper with Sling. I used this website and plugin regularly over the last couple weeks on my old box, the ViP 722 with a Sling adapter. It always worked perfectly. As soon as I got upgraded to the Hopper with Sling, the problem started immediately and has never worked. Everything on my computer has stayed the same over that time. The only change is the new Dish equipment.

My guess is that the plugin is contacting my box and receiving some sort of unexpected reply that causes it to crash. Obviously this could probably be fixed through a firmware update on the box or an update to the plugin, or both. Either way, I hope they figure it out soon as it is very frustrating losing this feature after I paid to upgrade, especially since I used it quite frequently.

#20 OFFLINE   Centex99

Centex99

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:56 PM

Interesting... I can sometimes randomally get it to work... so its def. weird. I have the new sling/hopper too... I never had dish before now. btw... it does seem to work on my android and ios devices...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...