Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

3 tvs in one room. how to set up remote?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bhigh8

bhigh8

Legend

• Registered
  • 323 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:52 AM

I am hanging 3 tvs up in the basement but want to be able to control tvs without an issue. is there a way to do this if the TVs are all the same? i was thinking i could get 2 samsungs and use RF on one and IR on the other and then get a 3rd different TV. is there a way to do it with 3 of the same TVs? they are all in the same direction.

thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,700 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:55 AM

Are these TVs going to have individual receivers or are they all going to run from 1 receiver ?

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   bhigh8

bhigh8

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 323 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:24 AM

3 receivers.

#4 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationA Galaxy Far, Far Away.....

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:30 AM

There are 2 ways to individually control each box independantly of one-an-other.

Either setup one remote at a time to the individual receiver using RF via the menu/settings & help/settings/remote control/program remote/advanced/IR/RF option.

or

Use individual IR codes for each remote by going to:
menu/settings & help/settings/remote control/program remote/advanced/multi-box setup.

#5 OFFLINE   bhigh8

bhigh8

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 323 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:54 AM

There are 2 ways to individually control each box independantly of one-an-other.

Either setup one remote at a time to the individual receiver using RF via the menu/settings & help/settings/remote control/program remote/advanced/IR/RF option.

or

Use individual IR codes for each remote by going to:
menu/settings & help/settings/remote control/program remote/advanced/multi-box setup.

would this work if i had 3 of the exact same tvs? the volume buttons wouldnt mess up and control more than one tv?

#6 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:08 AM

would this work if i had 3 of the exact same tvs? the volume buttons wouldnt mess up and control more than one tv?

NOPE.

The TV's will all respond from any of the origional TV remotes or any of the DirecTV remotes that are programmed. This isn't a DirecTV issue, but a limitation of the TV manufacturer. I know of no TV manufacturer that has multiple selectable IR code libraries.

Different brand TVs are the only real way around the issue you just brought up.
  • damondlt likes this

#7 OFFLINE   bhigh8

bhigh8

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 323 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:13 AM

NOPE.

The TV's will all respond from any of the origional TV remotes or any of the DirecTV remotes that are programmed. This isn't a DirecTV issue, but a limitation of the TV manufacturer. I know of no TV manufacturer that has multiple selectable IR code libraries.

okay. thanks for the help. i think i will go with 2 of one kind and 1 of the another. and then on the 2, just put one on RF and one on IR.

#8 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,294 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:15 AM

TV's dont do RF.
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#9 OFFLINE   brett_the_bomb

brett_the_bomb

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:16 AM

NOPE.

is there such a thing as an rf to ir converter? like the old pyramid things? if so could you three of those with differed rf signals converted to ir to the tv?

its a little vauge i know.

second thought would be an av system possibly? Im not big into this stuff so im just guessing this could be a possibility.

My setup: HR 44, HR34, 2x HR 24, 2x HR 23-700, 4x C31's, Nomad...

#10 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,294 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:29 AM

I have three HDDVRS connected to one Sony via HDMI.

The HDDVR's are set to RF on one Remote.

The Tv passes Dolby Digital on the Optical Audio Out to an AVR. Changing inputs on the TV changes the vidio/audio to each HDDVR.

With three TV's you would run HDMI to the TV's and Audio to the AVR and change inputs on the AVR.

All three TV's could be the same brand. You wouldn't want to use the TV speakers in a "REAL MAN CAVE" anyway.
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#11 OFFLINE   GregLee

GregLee

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

Or else use AVRs instead of TV audio.
Greg

#12 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:45 AM

Lets seperater the 2 issues.

Each satelite receiver can have it's own IR code or be set to an individualizd RF code. That's not the issue.

The TV's are the issue. If you press power, volume up, volume down, change inputs etc all will change since they are the same remote IR codeset.

Changing one TV to a different brand will still leave you with an issue with the other 2 TVs responding to a signal sent to either one.

I know what you want to accomplish (basically a glorified picture in picture setup); however you will be frustrated by the method you have chosen.

#13 OFFLINE   brett_the_bomb

brett_the_bomb

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:57 AM

I've got it! Train you children to run up to the tv and change the volume or turn the tvs on off. then the remote thing is no issue at all! (this may require additonal training to keep them quite in the man cave when the big game is on and friends are over.) I imagine candy may be needed for proper training.

i think avr is the answer though.

My setup: HR 44, HR34, 2x HR 24, 2x HR 23-700, 4x C31's, Nomad...

#14 OFFLINE   iceburg02

iceburg02

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:00 PM

One word: Crestron :-)

#15 OFFLINE   bhigh8

bhigh8

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 323 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:15 PM

Lets seperater the 2 issues.

Each satelite receiver can have it's own IR code or be set to an individualizd RF code. That's not the issue.

The TV's are the issue. If you press power, volume up, volume down, change inputs etc all will change since they are the same remote IR codeset.

Changing one TV to a different brand will still leave you with an issue with the other 2 TVs responding to a signal sent to either one.

I know what you want to accomplish (basically a glorified picture in picture setup); however you will be frustrated by the method you have chosen.

if i have two samsung tvs, each on a receiver. i should be able to make one set to RF and the other to IR. i have done this before and they wont interfere with each other for volume or power buttons. but i will need the 3rd tv to be different brand.

I do this so i can watch nfl ticket and March madness and things of that sort.

#16 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:04 PM

if i have two samsung tvs, each on a receiver. i should be able to make one set to RF and the other to IR. i have done this before and they wont interfere with each other for volume or power buttons. but i will need the 3rd tv to be different brand.

I do this so i can watch nfl ticket and March madness and things of that sort.

Not true. You can set one DirecTV receiver to RF, and the other DirecTV receiver to IR, but the Samsung TVs will still both be controlled by IR. When you hit the volume button on either of the DirecTV remotes it will change the volume on both Samsung TVs since the DirecTV remote will be sending out the IR signal to the TVs that both will respond to (same with the power buttons, input buttons, etc).

The only way to do what you want is to use some kind of control system like someone else mentioned. Either something like Crestron, TVs with RS232 inputs and a system to control them that way. You might be able to do something a little cheaper like a Harmony 900 and using the individual stick on IR emitters to control each TV (assuming the 900's RF base station can send signals to only one emitter at a time like the older one for the 890 and 1000 did). Or a similar setup with a URC remote and one of their base stations like the MRF-260.

Edited by Beerstalker, 06 February 2013 - 01:10 PM.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#17 OFFLINE   bhigh8

bhigh8

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 323 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:10 PM

Not true. You can set one DirecTV receiver to RF, and the other DirecTV receiver to IR, but the Samsung TVs will still both be controlled by IR. When you hit the volume button on either of the DirecTV remotes it will change the volume on both Samsung TVs since the DirecTV remote will be sending out the IR signal to the TVs that both will respond to (same with the power buttons, input buttons, etc).

The only way to do what you want is to use some kind of control system like someone else mentioned. Either something like Crestron, TVs with RS232 inputs and a system to control them that way. You might be able to do something a little cheaper like a Harmony 900 and using the individual stick on IR emitters to control each TV (assuming the 900's RF base station can send signals to only one emitter at a time like the older one for the 890 and 1000 did).

oh wow. i thought i had done this before. thanks for the input, i appreciate it. complicates things a little more but i will get it figured out. i guess i can just get 3 differnt tvs. was going to go with 60 inch in the middle and 37 or 40 on each side. depends on how much room is available. so this will affect the looks unless i look into Creston.

#18 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,148 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:55 PM

One word: Crestron :-)

One more word: Pricey. But that will do the job.

#19 OFFLINE   DBSNewbie

DBSNewbie

Icon

• Registered
  • 807 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:36 PM

Yes. Crestron will be way too pricey.

You can do a URC System for a fraction of the cost.

If you really want to go cheap, you can still use the same brand TVs. All you need to do is cover up the IR sensors ("eyes") of the TVs with masking tape - you can cut them to shape so that they look a little neater.

Use 3 D* remotes set to RF to control the 3 different receivers. To control the TVs (if the TVs are spaced far enough away from each other) just "point" the remote directly at the IR sensor of the particular TV you wish to control. The masking tape on the other TVs will block out the commands from the remote. A 60" TV in the middle should provide adequate separation space between the other TVs.

I used to do this (with great success) to the TVs in my den (6 TV's) until I got the URC system up and running.

http://www.universalremote.com/
Slimline, WB616 (2), SWM8 (2), OTA, MRV (U)
Den: Sony KDS-60A3000 -> HR20-700; Sony KDL-40S2000 (5) -> HR20-700 (2) & HR20-100 (3)
Master Bed: Kuro PDP-5020FD -> HR34-700
Master Bath: Sony KDL-26S3000 + PSP -> HR24-200
Daughter's: Sony KDL-40W3000 -> HR20-700
Son's: Sony KDL-40W3000 -> HR24-500
Kitchen: Sharp 20" -> H24-700
Guest: Sharp 20" -> H20-100
Patio: SunbriteTV 3220 -> H25-500
Living Room: Sony 42" XBR Plasma -> HR20-100

Diagram of Setup

#20 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:47 AM

This is easy as apple pie. DirecTV's website states for customers who have more than 1 tv in a room (like a sports bar for commercial customers) you can program the remotes different codes. On DTV mode press and hold mute and select until you see a green led light on the remote blink twice. Then on the first do 00001. The next 00002 then the last 00003. Viola! It is not necessary at all to do rf on one and ir on another and that jazz. You need 3 recievers for this to work.

That's for more than 1 satellite receiver, not more than 1 tv of the same brand. Once again, TV manufacturers do NOT use multiple or selectable IR codes.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...