Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Top Gear on History Channel is horrible

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Registered
  • 403 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

I was watching Top Gear (US) and it's really awful. At the half way mark, I deleted it and turn it off. I know that it doesn't compares with Top Gear BBC, but the US version is just hurting to watch. The hosts on that show are pitiful and painful to watch. They used to test cars when the show first started, but now, it's just three frat boys doing stupid stuff that is not entertaining. Almost tempted to kill it off on the DVR, but I will try one more week.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   EdJ

EdJ

Legend

• Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:48 PM

I guess it depends on your sense of humor. Some of it is pretty dumb to me, but other parts 'tickle my funny bone'. I watch the BBC Top Gear and some of the stunts they do are pretty dumb also as well as funny....

#3 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,030 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:14 PM

I like it.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,090 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:38 PM

Not much different from Top Gear BBC, they don't exactly review cars, at least that a reasonably normal person would buy. Believe me, replacing the car dealer guy with James May was a good thing.

Actually, I think Top Gear US has improved.

#5 OFFLINE   photostudent

photostudent

Godfather

• Registered
  • 292 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:00 PM

I really, really wanted to like this show but the quality has gone downhill. It is just "take three junkers off roading" week after week. Cheap to produce I guess. There are still some good gearhead shows on and a great car culture in this country but many series have wandered into reality TV lala land.

#6 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 403 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:41 AM

Have you notice that they use the same stunts from Top Gear on BBC? It just feels like they are just doing a carbon copy from the original.

They are two different shows.

#7 OFFLINE   synpse

synpse

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:53 AM

AhHA! I'm just catching on to this "Top Gear USA" idea. I've seen some of the shows with the dumb young guys, and it seems like Myth Busters with Cars, rather than a proper STIG-approved Top Gear.

I like the BBC version much better than the American attempt at it. They're missing the cheeky humor.

Did anyone catch that episode the other day, where Jeremy is interviewing this guy.. He starts out the introduction like the Stig's intro... "This guy has run 7 marathons in 7 days, on 7 continents!" etc. Turns out it was all TRUE!! The guy did some North/South Pole trips, and lost some fingers n toes to frostbite. Amazing! It's like the Dos XX's "most interesting man" in real life!

EDIT: His name.. Ranulph Fiennes The BEST segement of Top Gear interviews

http://www.topgear.c...-star-interview

Thrown out of the british SAS for blowing up a movie set
Circumnavigated the globe a few times
Climbed Everest to get rid of his vertigo
When he realized that Everest was just walking slowly uphill he figured that the north face of the Eiger was a better match
Did 7 marathons in 7 days a few weeks after triple bypass surgery
Cut off the frostbitten tips of his own fingers in the garden shed
Considered for the role of James Bond

Edited by synpse, 07 February 2013 - 02:32 AM.
Link

#8 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,763 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:02 PM

Anyone watching the new season?

#9 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,876 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:53 PM

Anyone watching the new season?

Not me.  Not as long as Tanner Faust is still on the show.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#10 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 403 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:20 PM

It's still on?  

#11 OFFLINE   Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411

Icon

• Registered
  • 611 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:48 PM

Gave up last year, too bad I want it to be good but the same thing over and over just got old.  3 old cars and you pretty much know what each guy will bring, they then do the same "stunts" and destroy the cars each time.  BBC version would do that once or twice a series, these guys seem to do it every time and may throw in a 5 minute review of a car no one can possibly afford.

I still think one of the best all time BBC episodes was when they took the supercars to France, one was a Ford GT.  Can't remember if it was Jeremy's personal one or not but that show was great.  Watching them try and get in and out of all the tight spots in France was great as well as the roads they found.

Right now Velocity is doing a good job of car shows to watch, a new batch starts next Friday night..

Protected By... spam firewall...And...