Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 via component...diagonal lines on screen.

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:48 PM

We recently got the HR34, and recently noticed these diagonal "lines", if you will, through the screen. It's not all the time....only certain scenes/lighting/colors. It looks sort of like when you see the screen refresh on a computer monitor in a video. That's the best way I can describe it.

So, as a process of elimination, to rule out the TV, I tried my HR24 in the same spot, and couldn't get it to do it, so that points to the HR34. Then, I tried HDMI, and it won't do it. I have an older TV that has one HDMI input, and we use that for the DVD player, as it doesn't look very good via component, and the HR34(or 24) looks fine with component.

Now, it obviously shouldn't be getting these lines, as the HR24 doesn't at all, and the HR34 doesn't with HDMI, so I can have DirecTV swap it out, or get a good quality HDMI switch for now.....but I figured I'd ask here, to see if anyone else gets this, or if maybe it's software related, or anything of that nature.....possibly.

As always....thanks in advance!

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,815 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:15 PM

My first thought/suspicion is a ground loop problem (lack of a ground someplace that is finding a ground path through another piece of equipment). Is your dish properly grounded? Is there a ground block on the coax before it enters your house? Etc. Tracking down a ground issue can be a hassle. Make sure all connections are good (on all your equipment, not just the HR34 - the TV might be what is missing a ground someplace).

#3 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:17 PM

My first thought/suspicion is a ground loop problem (lack of a ground someplace that is finding a ground path through another piece of equipment). Is your dish properly grounded? Is there a ground block on the coax before it enters your house? Etc. Tracking down a ground issue can be a hassle. Make sure all connections are good (on all your equipment, not just the HR34 - the TV might be what is missing a ground someplace).

My dish has never been grounded, but the HR24 doesn't exhibit the same behavior, so wouldn't you say it rules out grounding?

I noticed it being really obvious when it restarts....on that bright blue screen that comes up while "running receiver self check". It's very obvious then. Restart it with it on HDMI....nothing at all. I can wait until I see the lines, pause the tv, lines still "move" on the screen, switch back and forth between Component and HDMI, and it's gone every time on HDMI.

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#4 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:45 PM

My dish has never been grounded, but the HR24 doesn't exhibit the same behavior, so wouldn't you say it rules out grounding?

Dog gone Cuz!

A professional Excede Installer.

Fer Shame.:eek2:
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#5 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:53 PM

Dog gone Cuz!

A professional Excede Installer.

Fer Shame.:eek2:

Easy hoss. ;)
There are well respected users on this forum that have said the same thing......that their dish had never been grounded. I won't name names, but just sayin.

That being said, I haven't done an Excede install yet without grounding it. :)

Back to my dish......it's where I want it to be, and the only thing even close to a "legitimate" ground, close to it's location, is an 8 foot ground rod, that ISN'T bonded back to the house.....just a ground rod all by itself. If I had to put my dish in proximity to a legit ground, it would be on the front of my house......and that isn't happening.

Edited by Soulweeper, 06 February 2013 - 06:25 PM.

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#6 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:42 PM

You can see the lines I'm talking about very well at the beginning of this clip.
http://s1108.beta.ph...a4016b.mp4.html
And in the second clip
http://s1108.beta.ph...html?sort=3&o=0
They're not always this obvious, and again, it's not all the time. But it is only when using component, and it is only on the HR34

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#7 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:51 PM

When the current software version for the HR34 came out I noticed my 3D didn't work. There was a workaround. I submitted a Field Problem Report. The first response I got was, is your system up to code. Well yeah! The second response asked if my Panny had the latest firmware. Well yeah! The ball is in their court. I imagine a fix might come out sometime. I don't really care, so long as I don't catch any service calls for the same issue.

Excede and Directv SWM are pretty much the same thing. You plant a pole and break ground to the ground. Install a ground block. Run a line to the modem or splitter. Don't Excede 150 feet. :)

#8 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:04 PM

When the current software version for the HR34 came out I noticed my 3D didn't work. There was a workaround. I submitted a Field Problem Report. The first response I got was, is your system up to code. Well yeah! The second response asked if my Panny had the latest firmware. Well yeah! The ball is in their court. I imagine a fix might come out sometime. I don't really care, so long as I don't catch any service calls for the same issue.

Excede and Directv SWM are pretty much the same thing. You plant a pole and break ground to the ground. Install a ground block. Run a line to the modem or splitter. Don't Excede 150 feet. :)

Yeah, like I said.....I've never left an Excede install without being grounded....some more "legit" than others. You know the ones I'm talking about.......where there is no other option but to drive away. In those cases, I always run it by the guy I work for, so I feel I have some kind of back up. Not too many of those, but you know as well as I do.....the desired location, line of sight, and perfect ground, don't always jive.

In the case of my Directv dish.....the only thing close to where I want my dish is that ground rod I spoke of, and it's within 20 feet, but not bonded back. Now if that was an Excede install, I'd tell the customer it needed to be in proximity to a legit ground, to do it right, and in this case it would be out near the front, where I'd rather not have it, but anyway......enough of that. :)

This obviously isn't a grounding issue, as it only does it on the HR34, and when using component.

Speaking of "professionals".......not one DirecTV tech has EVER grounded my dish, nor even made a comment that it wasn't.

Not slamming them, just sayin........

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#9 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:15 PM

This obviously isn't a grounding issue, as it only does it on the HR34, and when using component.

For what its worth...if I move my HR24 to the Panny, 3D works perfect.

My stuff is all installed to spec.

I think your issue is software/not hardware related, but we can't rule out grounding.;)

#10 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:24 PM

For what its worth...if I move my HR24 to the Panny, 3D works perfect.

My stuff is all installed to spec.

I think your issue is software/not hardware related, but we can't rule out grounding.;)

Yeah, it's possible. I could move my dish towards the front, on the opposite side of the house, and get to the panel, at least, but it's a very undesirable location. I should try running some #10 from the splitter to that ground rod, just for fun. Better than nothing.

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#11 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:40 PM

This all sounds like a lot of work.

Just have Directv send out another HR34.

#12 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:00 PM

This is sort of off topic. I don't know what you use for a phone, I have a Droid.

This app makes a great boom arm angle finder.

https://play.google....d=kr.aboy.tools

#13 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:01 PM

Just have Directv send out another HR34.

That was my first thought....then I start wondering if I'll get a refurb, and then I'd have to do my recordings all over and whatnot, which isn't a big deal, but still. If my TV had more than one HDMI input, I would never have seen it, so I'm on the fence as to send it back, or get a high quality HDMI switch, like an Oppo. Have to think about it.

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#14 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:07 PM

This is sort of off topic. I don't know what you use for a phone, I have a Droid.

This app makes a great boom arm angle finder.

https://play.google....d=kr.aboy.tools

Well, prior to the Excede thing, my work was extremely slow, like a lot of people, so I haven't made the switch to a smart phone yet.....I know, I know. Couldn't justify the data plan when I was hardly working.

Even now, I'm working for a local guy. He pays more than the fulfillment centers and he pays every week, but the work load isn't as much as I'd like, but that was good at first....less pressure. It's slow this week, so I may try some other retailers to pick up more work. The bad thing is, he's only had me do new Excede installs, no service calls on the older systems, so a lot of that training is getting cobwebs, lol.

But yeah, when I switch to a new phone, I'll check that out.

I could use it on one of my tablets though.

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#15 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:12 PM

That was my first thought....then I start wondering if I'll get a refurb, and then I'd have to do my recordings all over and whatnot, which isn't a big deal, but still. If my TV had more than one HDMI input, I would never have seen it, so I'm on the fence as to send it back, or get a high quality HDMI switch, like an Oppo. Have to think about it.

Shoot! I don't see any other option Cuz!

Buy a new TV.

1. Sony

2. Panasonic

3. Samsung

4. Toshiba

5. Whatever

#16 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:23 PM

Shoot! I don't see any other option Cuz!

Buy a new TV.

1. Sony

2. Panasonic

3. Samsung

4. Toshiba

5. Whatever

I know........out with that 2004 technology, lol!

If I had my way, it would become a bedroom tv after it was replaced, but have to wait a bit on that. :)

My wife doesn't look at it the same way I do, haha.

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#17 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:29 PM

http://www.directv.c...content/careers

#18 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:47 PM

http://www.directv.c...content/careers

Haha......I did that not long ago, and they called, but the route was nowhere near where I live, so they said it wasn't a good fit. I get that, as they let you take the van home, on their dime.The bad part is the hub closest to where I live, covers a huge area.

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#19 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:30 PM

I really agree with a few of the others and suspect you may have a flaky component connection or maybe even a ground problem that isnt showing up in the digital connection. In theory the dvd player and the dvr should look virtually the same whether hooked up via component cables or hdmi. Try another set of component cables. In the analog signal world cable quality is much more important than in the digital world. Subpar component cables can cause a much more noticeable drop in PQ than a cheap digital cable. In very broad general terms, a digital cable either works or it doesnt, analog can be degrees. I'm not looking to start an analog vs digital discussion here at all, hence the reason I bolded part of my statement. If someone doesnt agree with that, take it to another thread and dont dirty up this one with a this is better than that. All the goal of this thread is to help the OP with what I suspect to be his intermittent 60Hz cycle interference in the picture.

#20 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:45 PM

I really agree with a few of the others and suspect you may have a flaky component connection or maybe even a ground problem that isnt showing up in the digital connection. In theory the dvd player and the dvr should look virtually the same whether hooked up via component cables or hdmi. Try another set of component cables.

Well, everything points to it just being with the HR34, as the HR24 isn't exhibiting the same behavior, with the same component cables, or HDMI, for that matter.. I think it has a bad component connection on the unit itself.

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

spam firewall