Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 via component...diagonal lines on screen.

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,849 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:56 AM

My dish has never been grounded, but the HR24 doesn't exhibit the same behavior, so wouldn't you say it rules out grounding?

No, that does not rule out grounding. Ground loop problems can be very unique. They can also be caused by defective equipment, so replacing the HR34 could potentially fix the problem even if it were grounding related (as well as if it were some other cause).

As others have stated, there are a number of possible problems. I only offered what came to my mind first.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:02 AM

No, that does not rule out grounding. Ground loop problems can be very unique. They can also be caused by defective equipment, so replacing the HR34 could potentially fix the problem even if it were grounding related (as well as if it were some other cause).

As others have stated, there are a number of possible problems. I only offered what came to my mind first.

I appreciate your input very much. :)

I may still have it swapped out, not sure yet.

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#23 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:17 AM

Swapping out the HR34 may not help at all. This certainly looks like an interference issue (as has been posted, maybe 60Hz interference), probably related to grounding, in which case it would not be surprising if one model of DVR behaved differently from another because their designs are different. And component is an analog signal as compared with the HDMI digital signal and digital signals do not usually suffer from this type of interference.
Try powering the HR34 from a different wall receptacle on a different circuit breaker, if you can, and see if that affects the problem.

#24 ONLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,019 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:21 AM

Why dont you just get a 2 input HDMI switch and use the HDMI output.

#25 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:24 AM

Why dont you just get a 2 input HDMI switch and use the HDMI output.

That is most likely what I'll do.

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#26 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

Try powering the HR34 from a different wall receptacle on a different circuit breaker, if you can, and see if that affects the problem.

Yeah, I'll do that.....just to satisfy curiosity.

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#27 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:43 PM

Just an update......I've been using switching it to HDMI lately, since the DVD player hasn't been being used, but had it on component tonight, and while watching the news, the audio started dropping in and out and the picture broke up really bad....looked like a mosaic, and it just so happened that the HR24 in the other room was on the exact same channel, and none of that happened on it, so whether or not it's related to the diagonal lines/interference we've been getting, this unit has issues.

Now, these two things could be unrelated, but they're both specific to the HR34, and correct me if I'm wrong, but that rules out a common denominator, UNLESS there was possibly an issue with the splitter that could cause at least the audio dropouts and picture breaking up, and hell, maybe even the lines through the picture.......but that might be a stretch, anyone disagree?

All 3 of these things might be related...maybe a bad chip or??

Bottom line....unless anyone thinks it's likely the splitter, everything points to the unit itself.

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#28 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,967 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:36 AM

Is your hr24 a -500? If so, it is NOT the same as an hr34 when it outputs via component, so being an older tv, there could be some issues there to possible, although not totally likely.

Also, do you unplug the hdmi cable while you have the components in, from the actual hr34?

And as carl said, I would not be surprised if it was still possibly a grounding issue, or maybe something else on the same circuit causing issues. Remember they hr34 power supply is no the same as the one in the hr24. Heck, it could be the component cables them selves being next to something that is interfering with the hr34. Analogue can have all kinds of issues.

But then it could also be software compatibility with your tv, but I semi doubt that, since these issues are all component cable related and not 3d or 1080p or something of that nature, unless there is a real weird hdcp bug your having.

And then as you say, it could be bad as well. But I would just use hdmi and be done with it. Get a switch from monoprice. They are great.

Edited by inkahauts, 19 February 2013 - 03:08 AM.

#29 OFFLINE   mluntz

mluntz

Icon

• Registered
  • 641 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:52 AM

I have an old HR20 that the HDMI output went bad. I switched to component and had somewhat of the same problem. I ended up switching the component cables and the problem has gone away.
DirecTV Customer since 1995
Directv/ HD-DVR HR20-700
Directv/ HD-DVR HR24-500 (2)
H24-700
Slimline 5 Dish
Premiere package holder
NFL Sunday Ticket Subscriber

#30 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:51 AM

Is your hr24 a -500? If so, it is NOT the same as an hr34 when it outputs via component, so being an older tv, there could be some issues there to possible, although not totally likely.

Also, do you unplug the hdmi cable while you have the components in, from the actual hr34?

My HR24 is a -200.

And no, I don't unplug the HDMI cable when the component is plugged in, but when I was doing my little experiment, to see if the lines appeared on my HR24, I only had component plugged in.

Still doesn't explain the audio dropouts and picture breaking up, when the HR24 on the same exact channel wasn't having that issue.

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#31 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,967 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

My HR24 is a -200.

And no, I don't unplug the HDMI cable when the component is plugged in, but when I was doing my little experiment, to see if the lines appeared on my HR24, I only had component plugged in.

Still doesn't explain the audio dropouts and picture breaking up, when the HR24 on the same exact channel wasn't having that issue.

The swapping the HR24 and the HR34 for a week, and see if the issue n the HR34 goes away. There's many possibilities outside the box that cruel affect the two differently. I only know this because I have dealt with that kind of thing before myself.

Still I'd just go hdmi and forget about it for now.

#32 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:54 PM

Still I'd just go hdmi and forget about it for now.

If it was just the diagonal lines I was concerned with, I agree, but now I have these audio dropouts and picture breakup, which we both know have nothing to do with the component connection......at least the audio dropouts for sure.

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#33 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,967 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:56 PM

If it was just the diagonal lines I was concerned with, I agree, but now I have these audio dropouts and picture breakup, which we both know have nothing to do with the component connection......at least the audio dropouts for sure.

Audio drops via hdmi?

#34 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:18 PM

Audio drops via hdmi?

No....while connected via component, which has nothing to with the audio. Last night I was getting audio dropouts and picture breakup, which might be a separate issue from the diagonal lines.....or not. Might all be related.

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#35 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,967 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

No....while connected via component, which has nothing to with the audio. Last night I was getting audio dropouts and picture breakup, which might be a separate issue from the diagonal lines.....or not. Might all be related.

I'm wondering I moving the box had weakend the coax connector or something.

You have a weird one.

#36 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

Well, I think I have solved the mystery of the diagonal lines via component only.

I tried plugging the HR34 into another circuit in the house, to see if it was possibly a grounding issue with just that circuit, and nothing changed. Then I figured I'd try swapping the component cables, and there is a second component input on the tv that was being used for a second DVD player, so I just swapped those cables to the HR34.....no diagonal lines. That either points to the Component 1 input on the tv, or the original cables, so I put the original cables in that position, using Component 2 input, again...no diagonal lines.

So, it looks like the issue is with the Component 1 input on the tv. The reason I didn't try that sooner is, when I swapped the HR24 with the 34, there were no diagonal lines, so I never thought it could be the input. Like a few people have said, every device is a little different, so it appears that the HR34 doesn't like Component 1 input on the tv, but it gets along with Component 2??? Does that seem bizarre to anyone, or is that the nature of electronics? Seems a bit weird to me.

Now, the audio dropouts and picture breakup last night still isn't solved, so not sure if I'll wait and see if it continues, or just get the HR34 replaced.

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#37 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,967 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:18 AM

Actually,not unheard if. It could be some bizarre ground loop issue that's not there with the other input because of it using a different circuit path, who knows.....

And the audio drops, maybe it was related, you never know.

Glad you got it figured out though. Makes life easier.

spam firewall