Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Any particular AVR better than others With DirecTV HDMI ?

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,734 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:58 PM

I'm wondering if there's any particular AVR brand that works the best with DirecTV. Yamaha, Onkyo, Sony, Pioneer, etc...

From good compatibility with the HDMI handshake process, to good compatibility with the DirecTV RC65 remote.

Looking for a receiver that DirecTV has a code for so the remote will control the volume for it and turn it off and on.

Also I want to be able to run HDMI to the receiver, then from the receiver to the TV. Also wouldn't mind one that had HDMI Passthrough so if I don't want all the noise, I could keep it off but still watch DirecTV and hear it through the TV's speakers.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,849 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:10 PM

I've read Onkyo are great receivers, but audio drops take a few seconds to resync. That's possibly changed. Yamaha, which I have (RX-465), handles them very quickly. It also does pass through.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,503 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:11 PM

I've had no issues with my Denon AVR3312ci.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#4 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:14 PM

My Pioneer has been excellent.

#5 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:22 PM

I'm another Denon guy here. The one thing you may not like is you cannot have the Directv remote turn everything on and off with one button press. It can control the volume, and it can turn on and off, but it cant actually control 3 devices at once. The way around it is to have the remote setup to turn your dvr and tv on/off, and have the tv use its HDMI control to turn your avr on and off. The Directv remote will control the power and volume of your avr, but only the volume can be controlled via the remote when in the Directv selector position, called volume pass-through or punch through. The way most of us I assume have it setup if we are using the provided D* remote is to program the D* remote to turn on/off the tv/dvr combo, and the tv turns on the avr and puts it back into standby when the tv/dvr combo are shutdown.

#6 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,734 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:28 PM

Does that hold true for every brand of AVR?

I'm leaning towards something similar to Yamaha RX-V473. That one does show up in the remote control programming menu.

I just like the simple remote without having to spend another $100 or so for a harmony.

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#7 OFFLINE   txfeinbergs

txfeinbergs

Legend

• Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:44 PM

My Pioneer has been excellent.

2010 Pioneers don't work so good with an HR-34. About a 5 second video delay when changing channels if using HDMI. What is interesting is I didn't have that issue with other Directv receivers. Luckily I just figured out how to use the Digital Coax connection on the back this weekend and I am back in business running the HDMI directly to the TV, and the audio to the receiver separately.

#8 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:05 PM

I'm wondering if there's any particular AVR brand that works the best with DirecTV.

No.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#9 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,734 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:11 PM

If I get one that has composite (yellow) out, can I run that into my VCR to send a downconverted version of the HDMI input?

Currently when I'm in the bedroom (SDTV) I have to press and hold exit to get a huge windows 8 looking screen that says "your cables or tv is not in HD". Then if I go down to the family room I have to press and hold exit to go back to HD out on the HDMI jack there. The short is both are not enjoyable at the same time.

I use an old VCR solely as a Ch 4 modulator to send a receiver output to the bedroom. I use an IR / RF repeater to bounce remote signals from the bedroom down to the family room where this is setup.

If an AVR fixes this, I'll take the composite feed from it into the VCR rather than the one from the directv box.

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#10 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:39 AM

Does that hold true for every brand of AVR?

I'm leaning towards something similar to Yamaha RX-V473. That one does show up in the remote control programming menu.

I just like the simple remote without having to spend another $100 or so for a harmony.

I think you missed my point. The Directv remote will control most of the name brand avr's. But the standard remotes cant actually turn on and off themselves plus 2 other device with one button press. It can control itself, a tv, and 2 other remote controlled items if it has the codeset, but the one button on/off only works for dvr and tv. You have to move the slider at the top if the remote to control the other 2 programmed components.

#11 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:08 AM

Here is another Denon recommendation. I am sure that there are many others that are just as good, but I replaced my old Marantz with a Denon 1911 almost two years ago and have been extremely pleased with it.

#12 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:06 AM

Denon and Marantz seem to behave the best from what I have read. Yamaha usually does pretty well also. I don't think I have ever noticed an audio dropout with my Denon 3808, other than when both the video and audio get screwed up for a second or two from satellite signal issues etc.

The Sony and Onkyo stuff seem to have a bit slower audio processors, so any anomolies in the dolby digital signal tends to make them lose audio for a second or two.

Pioneer seems to be very hit or miss. Pioneer has seemed to have quite abit of trouble with HDMI period, not just with DirecTV equipment but with Blu-Ray players, other cable/satellite boxes etc. Personally I would avoid Pioneer if you are looking for a good multi-channel surroound sound setup. If you are doing 2 channel audio only you are probably fine with them.

It sounds like you are wanting an AV receiver that can downconvert the HDMI signal (and maybe all others) to composite and send that out. I'm not sure how many can do that anymore, but I'm sure some can, especially high end ones. Many high end ones are made specifically with a composite monitor out that can show everything to be used with a small monitor so you can install the monitor in the equipment rack/room with everything else and use it for checking setups making adjustments etc. without having to turn on a projector or run around to different rooms.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#13 OFFLINE   ttodd1

ttodd1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:40 AM

+1 for Denon

#14 OFFLINE   kwasnicka

kwasnicka

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:57 AM

I just got a Pioneer 1022-VX AVR receiver and it works great. No problem with HDMI handsake. Passes through 3D signal. Directv remote adjusts volume and turns it on/off.
Directv customer since 1996.

#15 OFFLINE   TOakley1

TOakley1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:06 AM

Another vote for Denon. I've had no problems with HDMI handshakes.

I recommend a Harmony 900 to go with it though. They are pricey, but they really tie everything together nicely.

#16 OFFLINE   Ken984

Ken984

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

Denon for me as well. I have had HK, Pioneer Elite, Onkyo and now Denon. I prefer Denon over the others for various reasons. I will not buy another Onkyo, had terrible luck with 2 different models. The Pioneer Elite sounded great but started having HDMI handshake issues within a year. Denon 2311ci has been rock solid for 2 years plus now.

Samsung 65-es6550-HR44-700-Denon AVR-2311CI, XBOX360, Win Media Center 7, Samsung BD-D6500

#17 OFFLINE   cariera

cariera

Icon

• Registered
  • 862 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:18 PM

Another vote for Denon. No problems with my 3808. However not using the Directv remote, using an URC MX-980.

#18 OFFLINE   montanaxvi

montanaxvi

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:22 PM

Not an audiophile and have no issues to report with an older Onkyo with an HR22 via HDMI

#19 OFFLINE   hjones4841

hjones4841

Legend

• Registered
  • 148 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:36 PM

Denon all the way for me. Harmony 900 also. Heard that Logitech wants to sell the Harmony line. Sure hope it does not die off.

I also heard of the audio drop outs with Onkyo. Wonder if that has been fixed now.

#20 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:31 PM

Denon works for me along with my Harmony 1000 Univeral Remote which not only Controls my DVR/AVR but also my Yamaha MusiCast Music Server and my LG BluRay Player!!! :D
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

spam firewall