Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Any particular AVR better than others With DirecTV HDMI ?

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:00 PM

I have a Denon myself. Like the other poster said, the DTV remote can only control the volume on the AVR. The power on/off does my TV and DVR only. I have to use my AVR remote to power that on/off.

HOWEVER... I *believe* if you get a CEC compatible AVR and have a CEC compatible TV, you might be able to have the TV turn off the AVR through the CEC connection. Then you can do it all through the DirecTV remote.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:04 PM

I prefer Denon, but please put that DirecTV remote away and get a UC or Harmony remote. :)
DTV = Digital Television

#23 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,967 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:20 PM

I prefer Denon, but please put that DirecTV remote away and get a UC or Harmony remote. :)

I've heard of Harmony, but whats a UC remote?

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#24 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:23 PM

I've heard of Harmony, but whats a UC remote?

Sorry, I meant URC.

http://www.universalremote.com/
DTV = Digital Television

#25 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:51 PM

Why use the HDMI to the AVR at all? Attach the HDMI direct to TV in and use either digital coax or optical for audio to the AVR.

Benefits: can use TV without the sound system. Easier for non technical family members to just watch TV.

Save HDMI port on AVR for some other cool device

Downside: one extra cable connection and possibly some input reassignment in the AVR to accommodate.

HDMI audio covers the full digital spectrum of codecs from mutli channel PCM, through conventional and HD codecs for Dolby and DTS branded audio offerings.

Your direct TV receivers pass stereo PCM OR Dolby Digital 5.1 PERIOD. It does not pass the HD codecs nor even standard DTS. Using HDMI for such a limited scope is in my mind overkill when the traditional digital cabling will cover it. YMMV

AVR preferences come down largely to brand loyalty I'm a Yamaha bigot myself. If you are asking these questions you are not an audio snob and pretty much all the reasonably priced consumer AVR equipment is sonically not all that different.

Go to some stores and play around with systems. Bring Music CDs and DVD/BRs that are your "reference" soundtracks and try systems, speakers, etc. Find what you like that you can afford and become the newest brand "Y" bigot! ;)

Don "enjoy the hunt, enjoy the kill, and enjoy the feast" Bolton

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#26 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:02 PM

I used to be real into this stuff and follow it a few years ago. Then I got my own place, had real bills to pay. Ended up getting married. Now have a daughter who is 3 months old this coming week.

So, I'm looking to keep it at or below $300 for the AVR itself, if possible. Maybe if there is something compelling to go slightly above that I will take it into consideration. I like the idea of those automatic sound setups like audessey though.

I have been eyeing up this Yamaha RX-V473
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007JF85VU

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#27 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:23 PM

Why use the HDMI to the AVR at all? Attach the HDMI direct to TV in and use either digital coax or optical for audio to the AVR.

Benefits: can use TV without the sound system. Easier for non technical family members to just watch TV.

No need to use the TV without the AVR whether you are technology inclined or not. Using even a basic Harmony remote means that the user only has to push one button to carry out an activity, change channels, or adjust the volume.

My five year old just has to pick up the remote and push the button for "Watch TV" and he's done.
DTV = Digital Television

#28 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:25 PM

I or my Wife pushed One Button on my Harmony Remote and the Denon and my HR24-500 responds to life and we are watching TV.

Or she Pushes the Button for the Music Server and we can listen to Music.

Or she Pushes the Button for the BluRay DVD Player and we can watch the BluRay Movie.

Pretty Simple and The Wife Is Happy!!! :lol:
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#29 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:34 PM

Save HDMI port on AVR for some other cool device

Downside: one extra cable connection and possibly some input reassignment in the AVR to accommodate.

HDMI audio covers the full digital spectrum of codecs from mutli channel PCM, through conventional and HD codecs for Dolby and DTS branded audio offerings.

Your direct TV receivers pass stereo PCM OR Dolby Digital 5.1 PERIOD. It does not pass the HD codecs nor even standard DTS. Using HDMI for such a limited scope is in my mind overkill when the traditional digital cabling will cover it. YMMV

AVR preferences come down largely to brand loyalty I'm a Yamaha bigot myself. If you are asking these questions you are not an audio snob and pretty much all the reasonably priced consumer AVR equipment is sonically not all that different.

Go to some stores and play around with systems. Bring Music CDs and DVD/BRs that are your "reference" soundtracks and try systems, speakers, etc. Find what you like that you can afford and become the newest brand "Y" bigot! ;)

Don "enjoy the hunt, enjoy the kill, and enjoy the feast" Bolton

Many avr's allow complete signal pass through as well so they dont have to be on for the tv to work. They revert to the internal tv speakers that way as well. So you can have your cake and eat it too. My avr has 7 HDMI inputs, I've got plenty, so there is no reason to save one for something else cool...

#30 OFFLINE   ohioviper

ohioviper

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:10 PM

I just bought an Onkyo HT-S5500 that I am very happy with. Everything works and it sounds great.Hard to beat the price for a 7.1 system .Amazon had it for $349 and many places will price match. I got mine at HHgregg and they price matched Amazon or Newegg.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16882120201

#31 OFFLINE   GregLee

GregLee

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:16 PM

I've had an Onkyo 3008 for 2 years now which I use with an HR24-500 and the standard DirecTV remote. It works fine, with no delay issues or anything like that. I think any current model AVR from any of the major brands would do what you need, but I don't have experience with audio or video connections other than HDMI, and I don't know about pass-through issues or turning equipment on/off, since I keep TV-DVR-AVR on all the time (and use separate remotes for game consoles and other devices). I use two other capabilities of my AVR which I haven't seen mentioned: my AVR is out of sight behind my TV (no room in front), so I need to use the AVR's on-screen menus to see information about mute, volume, and various other information about the AVR's state. Also, I use the AVR's remote IR input, since its own IR sensor can't see my remote.

My Onkyo model has 8 HDMI inputs, 4 of which I need, and two HDMI outputs, both of which I use, and 11 speaker outputs, all of which I need.

Edited by GregLee, 10 February 2013 - 01:26 PM.

Greg

#32 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:45 PM

Probably not every model does this, but I've seen at least 2 Onkyos that have the 'pass thru' feature for 3D, but in that mode, there is no AVR generated on screen volume bars, menus, whatever, on the TV screen. You can toggle the pass thru mode, but it would be nice to have an automatic 4 second drop down to 2D if the AVR needed an adjustment in sound field, processing, and then resume pass thru when you've got it set.

It's a small gripe, but hey, it's 2013, and we don't have flying space cars, so I want all the toys to work perfectly.

:lol:

#33 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:56 PM

I use an Onkyo...no issues.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#34 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:51 AM

Well, taxes filed . Soon as I get my refund ill be making my purchase. Unless I see an unbeatable deal sooner. Yamaha RX-V373BL is only $189 with newegg promo code http://www.newegg.co...-_-82115373-L0K. Just doesn't have network connection so I have to decide if that's important. Plus no mention of pass thru. Might look for an upper model in the series on sale.

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#35 OFFLINE   Nighthawk68

Nighthawk68

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 357 posts
  • LocationNorthern Michigan

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:21 AM

Denon user for many years, no issues at all. Got rid of a Pioneer this year for a second Denon.

#36 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,951 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:56 AM

We have a Yamaha in one room and a Pioneer in another, both have had zero issues with DirecTV. The Yamaha is pretty old, and so is connected via coax for digital audio. The Pioneer is connected via HDMI.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#37 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,904 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:12 AM

Sony user for decades. Never had issues. Current receivers are the STR-DA5600ES and the STR-DN1020.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#38 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:06 AM

Any concerns over manufactured refurbished?
This is a great deal on a Denon 1913
http://www.ebay.com/...=item1e774615f7

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#39 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,904 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:31 PM

Any concerns over manufactured refurbished?
This is a great deal on a Denon 1913
http://www.ebay.com/...=item1e774615f7

While refurbished it may have cosmetic faults plus there's no warranty.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#40 OFFLINE   Ken984

Ken984

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:43 PM

While refurbished it may have cosmetic faults plus there's no warranty.

It does say they are authorized and it also says 1 year warranty on the auction. As long as they stand behind it and are authorized it is a good deal.

Samsung 65-es6550-HR44-700-Denon AVR-2311CI, XBOX360, Win Media Center 7, Samsung BD-D6500

Protected By... spam firewall...And...