Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Any particular AVR better than others With DirecTV HDMI ?

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,970 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:04 PM

Ok because I was thinking that or the Onkyo TX-NR515 http://www.newegg.co...N82E16882120196

The Onkyo supposedly was originally $600 but now $289.99. It has all the networking stuff I like to see as well. They claim there is a firmware update available to fix some issues with HDMI. I will do a little research on it, but it seems like a contender for me.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,970 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:20 PM

Ok because I was thinking that or the Onkyo TX-NR515 http://www.newegg.co...N82E16882120196

The Onkyo supposedly was originally $600 but now $289.99. It has all the networking stuff I like to see as well. They claim there is a firmware update available to fix some issues with HDMI. I will do a little research on it, but it seems like a contender for me.

Err... never mind..
http://www.avsforum....problems-thread

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#43 OFFLINE   GregLee

GregLee

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:43 PM

I've had an Onkyo 3008 for 2 years now which I use with an HR24-500 and the standard DirecTV remote. It works fine, with no delay issues or anything like that.

My Onkyo 3008 broke, so I have to take back the "it works fine". I noticed a couple of days ago that it was not receiving any sound modes over HDMI other than PCM stereo, and yesterday, the sound failed completely. I think I'll go back to Pioneer, which worked for me for several years before I tried the Onkyo.
Greg

#44 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:49 PM

I have a very old RCA STAV-35970 AV receiver. It has Optical and COAX Audio. Thats what I use.
DirecTV Subscriber Since 3/24/2008 || HR44-500 - SWiM and DECA to Vizio 32" LCD 1080P HDTV (SV320XVT) via HDMI | MY SETUP IN DETAIL UPDATED 3/21/2012 (Q1 2013 | I'm On FACEBOOK! "Originally Posted by xmguy : OK. I need directions. (to Sixto's house) Lol ;) | Originally Posted by Sea bass : Head down to 99c, skip over to 103ca, next over to 103cb and you have arrived.:)":hurah:

#45 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:42 AM

I have had a Denon AVR-5803 now for 8 years and it is working like a Champ!!!

I do not have HDMI though as it came out a year after I bought this model but the Optical and Coaxial Digital Audio works Great. :)
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#46 OFFLINE   Ken984

Ken984

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:58 AM

Stick with Denon. I am still very impressed with mine and I have tried a lot of others. 1 Onkyo (a 606) hdmi board went out. The 2nd Onkyo (an 808)died 10 minutes after i turned it on during a firmware update.

Samsung 65-es6550-HR44-700-Denon AVR-2311CI, XBOX360, Win Media Center 7, Samsung BD-D6500

#47 OFFLINE   Ken Stomski

Ken Stomski

Mentor

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:09 AM

we install yamahas. the aventage line works excellent with d* receivers. but, as many have stated - use a harmony. in fact, when we put quotes together for home cinema systems we include a harmony one (now touch) and if the customer declines the harmony to save a few hundred dollars we decline the job. once the benefits of using a harmony is fully understood there is no balking. plus it eliminates calls at 9pm on saturday night because of user error with dealing with 7 different remotes.

#48 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,970 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:34 PM

I really need to keep costs down so I picked a Yamaha RX-V473. It does airplay and they have an iOS remote control app. For $299 to me its a good value considering it has what I need.

Sure if I had some more funds available I could throw $600 to a Denon or something, but I'm pretty happy with this purchase. Thanks for everyone's input! I researched some Onkyo's that on the surface seemed like amazing deals, but so many complaints online for failed HDMI boards!

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#49 OFFLINE   mdpeterman

mdpeterman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:44 PM

So has anyone had a receiver that didn't work well with their AV receiver? I haven't read every post in detail and I have seen almost every brand listed and everyone says it works. Since optical, coax and HDMI are all standards, they generally work pretty well across the board. I have had DirecTV receivers of various models from the HR10 to the HR34 and they have been hooked up to receivers from Yamaha, to Pioneer, to Denon, to Lexicon to Sony to Bose, and none of them have ever had an issue.
In general your safe with any brand AV receiver I'd say.

#50 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:53 PM

Fry's had the V573 for $288 last week.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#51 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:32 AM

Fry's had the V573 for $288 last week.

Well that doesnt do anyone any good this week does it? :lol:

#52 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,906 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:15 AM

+1 :lol:

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#53 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:17 AM

No, but typically those deals come around every 4-6 weeks, so it'll be back.

Once I decide on a piece of equipment, I check the lowest price in the last several months via camelcamel or slickdeals and then set up an alert with both and get ready to pounce.

#54 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,970 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:56 AM

There is no "Fry's" near me, but I suppose they can ship?

The 473 retails for $450 so I thought $299 was a good deal! Compared to other receivers with AirPlay, that's not a bad price.

I don't need 7.1 or have wiring in my walls for 7 satellites. With a baby and a wife who for sure is going to be yelling "turn it down!!!!" I figured keep it simple.

I have wiring and banana jack wall plate supporting 5.1 setup.

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#55 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:19 AM

Actually, the real retail price on the 473 is $399, and the standard price on Amazon is $299 (this year), although it's been as low as $285 a couple of times this month.

It's a decent price, and if you're happy with it, that's all that matters.

#56 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:52 PM

Onkyo believer here, have never run across one that the dtv remote wont control, volume and on and off

Yamaha work, but no on off feature.

Harman Kardon id stay away from, had several of them not do the hdmi handshake and just give black screen, do a search and you will find compatibility issues with dtv and harman. I tried 5 different dtv boxes at one house with a harman avr, no dice.

Onkyo for ease of use and setup. Have run into many recievers where i couldnt changed the audio from optical to coax without special buttons or sequences of buttons that requries a user manual. Onkyo has all buttons on front panel and no secret codes or sequences.

Ive run accross a few denons, very hard to get things setup even with the remote handy.
Dish -- 722k, 722, 612, 512, 510

Directv -- HR34, HR24, 2 H25's, 2 H24's

#57 OFFLINE   Bigwayne13

Bigwayne13

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:44 AM

I've got a Marantz and have my DTV HR34 connected via HDMI and have had absolutly no issues. ;)

#58 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,970 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:09 AM

Well so far no problems with HDMI handshaking to the yamaha 473. On top of that,airplay is amazing. DirecTV only has YouTube and pandora, but with AirPlay I can send audio from Vevo, slacker, siriusxm and others. Pretty slick considering the YouTube search on DirecTV filters out a lot of "official" music videos (most VEVO content actually).

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#59 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,216 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:54 PM

I'm going to go against the trend here. On the DirecTV tech support web site, we see more HDMI issues with Denon than with all the others added together. Of course, that could easily be because there are more people with Denon, but it might be worth noting. Least number of issues? Almost certainly with Sony..

#60 OFFLINE   AlanSaysYo

AlanSaysYo

Legend

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:25 AM

I have a Harman Kardon and can't find a remote code to switch inputs from the DirecTV remote. So that's a bummer. Otherwise it works fine - no HDMI issues.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...