Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Any particular AVR better than others With DirecTV HDMI ?

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,753 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:53 AM

The only issue I have is the directv remote codes only do volume. You still have to reach for the yamaha remote to power it on or off. Not sure if there's ever plans to update the remote code database.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 296 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:00 PM

If I get one that has composite (yellow) out, can I run that into my VCR to send a downconverted version of the HDMI input?

Currently when I'm in the bedroom (SDTV) I have to press and hold exit to get a huge windows 8 looking screen that says "your cables or tv is not in HD". Then if I go down to the family room I have to press and hold exit to go back to HD out on the HDMI jack there. The short is both are not enjoyable at the same time.

I use an old VCR solely as a Ch 4 modulator to send a receiver output to the bedroom. I use an IR / RF repeater to bounce remote signals from the bedroom down to the family room where this is setup.

If an AVR fixes this, I'll take the composite feed from it into the VCR rather than the one from the directv box.

The only fix To get Rid of Directv intrusive BLACK BOX in the middle of the screen is use http://www.monoprice...CFUVN4AodWF8AoQ I bought one and it works thru out my house to my older TV's

King Cable Cutter ! XBMC , PLEX , Raspberry Pi   Love my New Boxes :)

Avatars are to protect the Ugly people from scaring others !
Come from the land of Pennsylvania where Cable TV was invented ! Had HBO back in the 70's and total cable bill was $ 12.00 and all TV's got Cable with no extra fee ! Been using satellite since the C-Band Days and Dave and Charlie

#63 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 296 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:02 PM

I have been searching , but came up empty handed has anyone found a AVR with network that allows Video streaming from a PC ? I found alot that will do music but No Video

Come from the land of Pennsylvania where Cable TV was invented ! Had HBO back in the 70's and total cable bill was $ 12.00 and all TV's got Cable with no extra fee ! Been using satellite since the C-Band Days and Dave and Charlie

#64 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:58 PM

I have been searching , but came up empty handed has anyone found a AVR with network that allows Video streaming from a PC ? I found alot that will do music but No Video

I don't think you'll find one either. Since pretty much every gaming console, tv, or ROKU type device does that already, there is really no need for an AVR to stream video.

#65 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 296 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:37 AM

I don't think you'll find one either. Since pretty much every gaming console, tv, or ROKU type device does that already, there is really no need for an AVR to stream video.

I have a Linksys Media Extender. But since im getting a New AVR would like to reduce the equipment on my rack. Now Im looking at new Game console PS4 or Xbox 720 I know the game units will stream also but since I have the AVR on its silly to boot up the game console :( just to watch a movie.

#66 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:11 AM

Had a little nomenclature issue with an Onkyo (and it was my fault).

I wanted an AVR that would pass HDMI on one input to it's output when the receiver was off. Saw a feature called "HDMI pass thru" and figured that was it.

Well, "HDMI pass thru" is a bit for bit passing feature to let 3D signals thru (but with out volume bug, etc) so it didn't really do what I wanted.

I'd swear I heard of an AVR that can pass one HDMI input when off, but of course, I can't find it now.

(why do I want this? have the occasional client that wants to use full surround/subwoofer experience for himself only, but for wifey and kiddlings, just wants the TV to work with out the AVR. Saves some headaches for everybody. I have wired component connections to display directly and HDMI thru AVR, but it would save some wiring and fiddling with the remote if an AVR could pass HDMI Sat input when off)

#67 OFFLINE   moghedien

moghedien

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:32 AM

Had a little nomenclature issue with an Onkyo (and it was my fault).

I wanted an AVR that would pass HDMI on one input to it's output when the receiver was off. Saw a feature called "HDMI pass thru" and figured that was it.

Well, "HDMI pass thru" is a bit for bit passing feature to let 3D signals thru (but with out volume bug, etc) so it didn't really do what I wanted.

I'd swear I heard of an AVR that can pass one HDMI input when off, but of course, I can't find it now.

The yamaha RX-V473 does this passthru like you want, but I can't believe it is the only model that can do this...

#68 OFFLINE   hancox

hancox

Godfather

• Registered
  • 453 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:39 AM

One thing to note:

The HR24-500's colorspace might not work with all HDMI ports on a Denon receiver. I needed to fiddle around with it, bit it eventually worked.

I'm assuming some other AVR's might have the same issue.

#69 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 994 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:22 AM

HDMI passthru is a pretty common feature now. I have it in my Yamaha RXA1010.

#70 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:25 AM

Appreciate the help there!

Great feature for what some people want to do. I thought it was a real thing, but I'm getting old and wouldn't be surprised if I mis-heard something.

#71 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:39 PM

Denon has pass thru when off as well.

#72 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:55 PM

Err... never mind..
http://www.avsforum....problems-thread

Bummer. I really like the feature-set of the 616 and have been contemplating picking it up. I had read the 8/12 firmware update had fixed the bugs. Seeing that issues were reported right up to yesterday, I suppose I'll wait. I'm in the market for an upgrade. I liked that the Onkyo streams Sirius/XM, Spotify and can do bluetooth (with a USB adapter). Lucky for me, I can wait.

#73 OFFLINE   canesice

canesice

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:14 PM

I have the pioneer VSX-1122.. It has video pass through, but I havent used it.
I can tell you that I use the qdeo video processing features of the 1122, and the picture is really crisp. I am very pleased with the conversion options on this unit, and quite frankly I bought it for the audio capabilities, without even researching this piece

I am really loving my 7.2 setup, with directv...

#74 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,531 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:51 AM

I have the pioneer VSX-1122.. It has video pass through, but I havent used it.
I can tell you that I use the qdeo video processing features of the 1122, and the picture is really crisp. I am very pleased with the conversion options on this unit, and quite frankly I bought it for the audio capabilities, without even researching this piece

I am really loving my 7.2 setup, with directv...

That's a great receiver. I had a VSX-1121 and loved it.

I came across a half-price deal on an SC-1222 the other day, which is basically the same receiver as the 1122, except for a Class D amp. I've only spent a few hours with it so far, but it appears to work great, connected to my Genie.
/steve

#75 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,753 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:58 PM

Well I broke down and bought a Logitech harmony 650. I love it!

Got old using two remotes as the directv supplied codes for yamaha cannot power the AVR on/off. It only did volume.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#76 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,922 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:17 PM

I think you missed my point. The Directv remote will control most of the name brand avr's. But the standard remotes cant actually turn on and off themselves plus 2 other device with one button press. It can control itself, a tv, and 2 other remote controlled items if it has the codeset, but the one button on/off only works for dvr and tv. You have to move the slider at the top if the remote to control the other 2 programmed components.

My Denon shuts off with the off button on the DIRECTV remote, along with the HR34 and Sammy.

I do not know if it can turn all three on, but don't want it that way any how. I often use just the TV speakers, and I am set up so the DIRECTV HDMI goes directly to the TV, with optical audio back out to the Denon.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#77 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,603 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:16 AM

My Sony equipment has "Bravia Sync". Using the DirecTV remote I can power on/off my HD DVRs, TVs, and A/V receivers. Very convenient.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#78 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,531 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:46 AM

My Sony equipment has "Bravia Sync". Using the DirecTV remote I can power on/off my HD DVRs, TVs, and A/V receivers. Very convenient.

Same with my Panasonic plasma and Pioneer receiver. They both apparently support some HDMI control standard, so when I power on/off the display with the DirecTV remote, the display powers on/off the AVR. The only thing it can't do is change the input on the AVR. It's on DVR 99% of the time, tho, so not a big deal.
/steve

#79 OFFLINE   mrcon0728

mrcon0728

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:30 PM

I have had two Onkyo receivers and both had problems synching all the time. I have switched to Yamaha receivers and have never had any issues. I will never buy Onkyo products again they do not stand behind their products at all.

#80 OFFLINE   kb122

kb122

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:29 AM

I have a newer Onkyo TX-NR515 - the only issue I have is sometimes if I leave the HR34 on a premium channel when powering off, the next time I power everything up it has an HDCP issue and won't display the channel. Changing channels to a non premium channel fixes that. Otherwise, no audio dropout issues, audio format changes during programming don't cause any issues.

My previous receiver was a HK AVR-274; D* audio dropouts/changing audio formats on that would cause a 2-3 second dropout on the receiver.

spam firewall