Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Any way to determine bit rate Mbps?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   carillon

carillon

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:05 PM

I'm really disappointed with my local CBS affiliate and their lack of PQ. I'm curious if there is any way for me to find out what bit rate they are feeding D* and then what I'm actually getting from D* on my end. I know this station must be sending an inferior feed, in fact they don't even support DD 5.1. Knoxville, TN DMA, WVLT.

Thanks!
SlimLine-5 SWM-8-LNB Dish (HD Service / WHDVR)
HR34-700 Genie / Sharp 52LE700UN HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA
C31 Genie RVU Client / Dynex HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA
HR24-500 / Panasonic TC-P54S2 / HDMI / Networked - DECA
H24-700 / Toshiba SDTV / Networked - DECA

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:08 PM

I'm really disappointed with my local CBS affiliate and their lack of PQ. I'm curious if there is any way for me to find out what bit rate they are feeding D* and then what I'm actually getting from D* on my end. I know this station must be sending an inferior feed, in fact they don't even support DD 5.1. Knoxville, TN DMA, WVLT.

Thanks!

http://www.rabbitear...cility_id=35908
DTV = Digital Television

#3 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,130 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:10 PM

WVLT converts CBS's 1080i source to 720p so they can run an additional subchannel in HD on 8.2 for MyNetworkTV, sacrificing CBS's picture quality along with downmixing all 5.1 audio to 2.0. As for the bitrate, they use statmuxing which gives it a variable bitrate.

You can see a sample from November here:
http://www.rabbitear...v/35908-0_0.htm

If you have an ATSC tuner on your PC you can get a realtime listing via TSReader.

You could try complaining to the station, however if it's like the ABC O&O's with Live Well HD, the decision went above them and their engineers and was forced on them by upper management.

#4 OFFLINE   carillon

carillon

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:29 PM

http://www.rabbitear...cility_id=35908

Thanks for the reply Hoosier205... very interesting info. Answers a lot!

#5 OFFLINE   carillon

carillon

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:40 PM

WVLT converts CBS's 1080i source to 720p so they can run an additional subchannel in HD on 8.2 for MyNetworkTV, sacrificing CBS's picture quality along with downmixing all 5.1 audio to 2.0. As for the bitrate, they use statmuxing which gives it a variable bitrate.

You can see a sample from November here:
http://www.rabbitear...v/35908-0_0.htm

If you have an ATSC tuner on your PC you can get a realtime listing via TSReader.

You could try complaining to the station, however if it's like the ABC O&O's with Live Well HD, the decision went above them and their engineers and was forced on them by upper management.

Thanks KyL416... I now can see what is going on. I've emailed the station engineer but no response as of yet. I don't have a tuner card in my PC so I won't be able to do that.

I was also curious what the bit rate is from D* for the various locals I receive. Does D* have to squeeze the bit rate down a lot in delivery?

#6 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:24 PM

The comparison will be difficult because D* also converts it to MPEG4, so for the same quality the bitrate can be much lower for mpeg4 vs mpeg2.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...